This Warm Spinach Dip is rich, creamy, cheesy, and full of flavor. It’s the ultimate party dip that takes little time to prepare and is always a hit.
Warm Spinach Dip
This classic Warm Spinach Dip is packed full of spinach, sour cream and mayo, three kinds of cheese, and simple seasoning. The tasty mixture is given a little extra cheese on top before heading into the oven to bake until golden brown and melted. Served warm with a side of chips, crackers, or veggies, this easy appetizer is total comfort food.
While Warm Spinach Dip is often reserved for a game day treat, it is easy enough to make any time you want to enjoy a cheesy snack. Feel free to toss in bacon bits or shredded chicken for a little extra protein. Or, if Hot Spinach Artichoke Dip is your thing, use only 4 ounces of spinach and add about 1 cup of chopped artichoke hearts to the mixture.
Ingredients in Warm Spinach Dip
- Spinach - I usually use frozen spinach, thawed and drained. You could also use fresh spinach that has been either steamed or sauteed until wilted. Whether you use fresh or frozen spinach, the most important part is to squeeze all excess liquid before adding it to the ricotta mixture.
- Ricotta Cheese - ricotta cheese keeps the mixture rich and fluffy. You could substitute half cream cheese if you like your dip to be a little denser.
- Sour Cream - I prefer full fat sour cream, but you could use low fat.
- Mayonnaise - mayo keeps the dip creamy and adds a little tangy flavor.
- Parmesan Cheese - freshly grated Parmesan cheese is best.
- Mozzarella Cheese - you’ll need about 2 cups of shredded cheese, reserving ½ a cup to sprinkle over the top before baking. Other cheese options are fontina, Monterey Jack, or Pepper Jack for a little kick.
- Seasoning - I use garlic powder, onion powder, and red pepper flakes to season this dip. Feel free to adjust these ingredients how you see fit, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Other Mix-In Ideas
If you want to add even more flavor, here are a few mix-in ideas that you can add to the spinach mixture before baking:
- Bacon bits
- Shredded chicken
- Sun-dried tomatoes
- Chopped artichoke hearts
- Diced onion
- 2 oz canned green chiles
- 2 oz canned jalapeno peppers
How to Make Warm Spinach Dip
- Combine the dip ingredients. In a mixing bowl, mix together ricotta cheese, sour cream, and mayo. Stir until well combined. Place thawed spinach in a strainer, then use your hands to squeeze out any excess liquid. Add the artichoke to a large bowl along with the ricotta, Parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese (reserve ½ cup to top before baking), garlic powder, onion powder, and red pepper flakes. Mix until well combined.
- Put into a baking dish. Spread the spinach dip mixture into an 8" x 8" or 9" x 9" baking dish and top with the remaining ½ cup mozzarella cheese.
- Bake. Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the edges are bubbly and the top is golden brown.
- Serve. Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes before serving warm with your favorite crackers, sliced bread, tortilla chips, or veggies. Enjoy!
How to Make a Spinach Dip Bread Ring
Another nice way to present and serve your Warm Spinach Dip is inside a bread ring. To do this, you’ll first need some bread dough. These easy Homemade Potato Rolls are a great option, or you could even use frozen dough balls, or prepared pizza dough.
- Coat a large skillet in olive oil, then place dough balls all the way around the edge.
- Cover loosely and allow the rolls to rise until doubled. (Note: you may want to place a small upside down bowl in the center to make sure there is still enough room for the dip)
- Remove the cover and add your spinach dip mixture to the center.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the rolls have baked.
- Remove from the oven and serve warm. Enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
This dip can be eaten warm, cold, or room temperature. You can safely let your Warm Spinach Dip sit out for about 2 hours at room temperature, but after that you’ll need to refrigerate it.
I don’t recommend freezing spinach dip. The mixture tends to separate once it has been frozen and thawing, making the texture a little unappealing.
Yes!. You can mix together all of the ingredients, cover the crock pot, and cook on low for 2-3 hours or until the cheese has melted. You won’t be able to get the nice browned cheese on top like you would in the oven, but it’s an easy way to keep the dip warm during a party.
Storing and Reheating
- Making ahead: to make ahead, just mix your ingredients together, spread in your baking dish, cover and store in the fridge for up to 48 hours. When you are ready to bake, simply take it out of the fridge and let it sit at room temperature while you let the oven preheat for at least 30 minutes. Then bake as directed and enjoy!
- Refrigerator: store covered in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- To reheat: reheat leftovers in a 325 degree oven. Small portions can also be reheated in the microwave.
Warm Spinach Dip Recipe
- 8 oz Ricotta room temperature
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- ¼ cup Mayonnaise
- 8 oz Frozen Spinach thawed and drained
- ½ cup Parmesan Cheese grated
- 2 cups Shredded Mozzarella Cheese reserve ½ cup for topping before baking
- ¾ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ¾ teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 pinch Red Pepper Flakes
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together ricotta cheese, sour cream, and mayo. Stir until well combined.
- Place thawed spinach in a strainer, then use your hands to squeeze out any excess liquid. Add the spinach to a large bowl along with the ricotta mixture, Parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese (reserve ½ cup to top before baking), garlic powder, onion powder, and red pepper flakes. Mix until well combined.
- Spread the spinach dip mixture into an 8" x 8" or 9" x 9" baking dish and top with the remaining ½ cup mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the edges are bubbly and the top is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes before serving warm with your favorite crackers, sliced bread, tortilla chips, or veggies. Enjoy!
More of Our Favorite Dip Recipes
- Jalapeño Artichoke Dip Recipe
- Frank's Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Chicken Alfredo Dip
- Cheesy Bean Dip
- Loaded Queso Dip
- 7-Layer Bean Dip
- Everything Bagel Seasoning Dip
- BLT Dip
- Jalapeño Popper Dip
- Fiesta Corn Dip
- More Easy Appetizer Recipes
- More Game Day Party Food
If you’ve tried this recipe, please rate it and leave a comment on this post. I love hearing feedback from you. It helps me and other readers too! If you love Pinterest, feel free to leave a comment and photo there too. Also, if you like to share, use the hashtag #thecarefreekitchen on Instagram and tag me @thecarefreekitchen so I can find you and give your post some love. You can also find me on Facebook at The Carefree Kitchen. Thank you!!
This easy Warm Spinach Dip recipe is a quick and easy appetizer that everyone loves. It's full of spinach, three kinds of cheese, sour cream, and simple seasoning.