These oven-baked BBQ Chicken Drumsticks are the perfect way to enjoy delicious barbecue chicken without having to fire up the grill. They’re a family favorite, perfect for game day, potlucks, or easy weeknight dinners.
Oven-Baked BBQ Chicken Drumsticks
Oven-Baked BBQ Chicken Drumsticks are a quick, easy, and healthy way to enjoy juicy, tender chicken with very little effort. After they have baked in the oven for about 15 minutes, slather them in your favorite sweet and tangy bbq sauce before returning to the oven. The sauce caramelizes and becomes even more finger-licking good.
If you plan to serve these baked BBQ chicken legs for dinner, they go well with just about any type of side dish. For game day parties, you could also serve a selection of flavors for people to choose from. Hint - our Buffalo Chicken Drumsticks are another total hit.
Ingredients in BBQ Chicken Drumsticks
- Chicken Drumsticks - I prefer to use skin-on drumsticks when I oven-bake them. You can also substitute chicken thighs, which have a similar cooking time, or chicken breasts or wings, which will cook slightly longer.
- Oil - avocado oil works great. Or you could substitute olive oil, vegetable oil, or any other mild flavored cooking oil.
- Salt and Pepper - you can choose to season simply with just salt and pepper, or add a little garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, or even chili powder before baking.
- BBQ Sauce - choose your favorite brand and style of BBQ sauce for this recipe - they all work and taste great.
How to Cook BBQ Drumsticks in the Oven
- Season the drumsticks. Place drumsticks in a small bowl. Use paper towels to pat them dry, then season with salt and pepper on all sides. Drizzle with a couple tablespoons of avocado oil. Use tongs to coat the drumsticks with the oil.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Place the chicken drumsticks onto a baking sheet lined with foil or parchment paper. Bake for about 15 minutes.
- Add the barbecue sauce and finish baking. Remove from the oven and add the BBQ sauce over the tops using a pastry brush. Return to the oven and bake for about 10 more minutes, or until the BBQ sauce on the drumsticks is caramelized and the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
- Serve. Remove the drumsticks from the oven and cool for 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
At 400 degrees F, it should take between 25-30 minutes for your chicken drumsticks to reach 165 degrees F in the center. The cooking time always depends on how many you have in the oven at once, how accurate your oven temperature gauge is, and how often you open the oven door so you always want to check the internal temperature using an instant read thermometer.
I prefer to bake drumsticks at 400 degrees F rather than 350 degrees. It will cook faster, helping to ensure that the chicken stays tender and juicy rather than dried out.
The best time to add BBQ sauce to Oven-Baked BBQ Chicken Drumsticks is about halfway through the cooking time. If you add it at the beginning, the sauce will become too caramelized before the chicken has a chance to cook. However, it tastes great for the sauce to caramelize slightly so I recommend adding it after they have cooked for about 15 minutes.
What to Make with Leftover Buffalo Drumsticks
- Buffalo Chicken Dip: Shred the leftover chicken meat from the drumsticks and mix it with cream cheese, sour cream, shredded cheese, and hot sauce for a deliciously creamy and spicy dip.
- Buffalo Chicken Pizza: Use the leftover chicken to top a pizza crust with tomato sauce, cheese, and your favorite toppings for a tasty Buffalo-style pizza.
- Buffalo Chicken Salad: Chop up the chicken and mix it with lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, and a creamy dressing for a refreshing and filling salad.
- Buffalo Chicken Tacos: Make some tacos with the leftover chicken, avocado, cheese, lettuce, and a drizzle of hot sauce for a quick and easy dinner.
- Buffalo Chicken Quesadillas: Mix the chicken with cheese and hot sauce and stuff it into a tortilla with some veggies for a yummy quesadilla.
- Buffalo Chicken Wraps: Roll up the chicken with some lettuce, tomato, and ranch dressing in a tortilla for a tasty and portable lunch.
- Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese: Stir the leftover chicken into some macaroni and cheese for a spicy and comforting dish.
Storing and Reheating
- Refrigerator: store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- To reheat: you can either microwave your drumsticks to reheat, or place in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 15 minutes.
Recipe: Oven-Baked BBQ Chicken Drumsticks
- 3-4 lbs Chicken Drumsticks skin on
- 2 Tablespoons Avocado Oil
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Pepper
- 1 cup BBQ Sauce
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place drumsticks in a large mixing bowl. Use a paper towel and pat them dry, then season with salt and pepper on all sides. Drizzle with a couple tablespoons of avocado oil. Use tongs to coat the drumsticks with the oil.
- Place the chicken drumsticks onto a baking sheet lined with foil or parchment paper.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, then remove from the oven and brush each drumstick with BBQ sauce. Return to the oven and bake for about 10 more minutes, or until the BBQ sauce on the drumsticks is caramelized and the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
- Remove the drumsticks from the oven and cool for 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
More Easy Recipes for Chicken Drumsticks and Wings
- Buffalo Chicken Drumsticks
- Honey Soy Drumsticks
- Garlic Butter Drumsticks
- Garlic Parmesan Drumsticks
- Mediterranean Grilled Chicken Drumsticks
- Simple Oven-Baked Chicken Drumsticks
- Crispy Garlic Parmesan Wings
- Oven-Baked Chicken Wings
- More Chicken Recipes
- More BBQ Recipes
If you’ve tried this recipe, please rate it and leave a comment on this post. I love hearing feedback from you. It helps me and other readers too! If you love Pinterest, feel free to leave a comment and photo there too. Also, if you like to share, use the hashtag #thecarefreekitchen on Instagram and tag me @thecarefreekitchen so I can find you and give your post some love. You can also find me on Facebook at The Carefree Kitchen. Thank you!!
These quick and easy BBQ Chicken Drumsticks are perfect for easy dinners, game days, and summer BBQs. They're a great way to make tender, juicy barbecue chicken without having to fire up the grill.