This baked Garlic Butter Drumstick recipe is nice and crispy on the outside, tender and juicy on the inside, and super quick to throw together. These Garlic chicken drumsticks are an easy, oven baked drumstick recipe, perfect for any night of the week. They are perfect for an easy appetizer or even served as a main course.
Easy Baked Garlic Chicken Drumsticks
If you are looking for ideas on what to make with chicken drumsticks, there are plenty of options to choose from . You can try making them with a Mediterranean spice blend, honey soy glaze, or try another oven baked chicken recipe, Buffalo Chicken Drumsticks.
We make drumsticks a lot around our house because they are inexpensive, familiar (in case you have picky eaters!) and go with just about anything. Plus, baked chicken drumsticks are significantly healthier than fried fast food versions.
There isn’t much more to these than seasoning the chicken legs, mixing up a 3 ingredient garlic butter and baking in a preheated oven. These work great as a main course served with your favorite rice, pasta, mashed potatoes or veggie sides.
Ingredients in this Easy Chicken Drumsticks Recipe
- Chicken Drumsticks - if you prefer dark meat, you can substitute chicken thighs that have a similar cooking time.
- Salt and Pepper
- Butter - this should be room temperature so you can easily mix it with the garlic and spread it over the drumsticks.
- Garlic - we like the flavor of fresh garlic for the garlic butter, but you could substitute garlic powder instead.
- Onion Powder - this gives a nice sweet onion flavor to your butter.
- Parsley - fresh chopped parsley adds a nice fresh flavor and a bit of color.
How to Prepare Garlic Butter Chicken Drumsticks
- Prep chicken drumsticks. Remove drumsticks from their package, gently pat them dry with a paper towel, and place them into a large bowl.
- Drizzle with Avocado Oil- Add enough oil to coat the drumsticks
- Season with garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Bake. Bake in a preheated 400-degree oven for about 35-40 minutes, or until chicken is golden brown and a digital thermometer reads 165 degrees when inserted into the thickest part.
- Make Garlic Butter Sauce. In a small bowl, combine the butter, grated parmesan cheese, chopped parsley, and garlic powder. Mix.
- Coat the Drumsticks in the garlic butter sauce. You can use a pastry brush to brush on the butter or toss them in a large bowl. Let the drumsticks rest for 10 minutes, then garnish with extra chopped parsley and serve. Enjoy!
- Lemon Garlic - add a generous squeeze of fresh lemon juice over your chicken drumsticks just before serving. You could even zest a bit of lemon over the top, too.
- Soy Garlic - for a little more umami flavor, add a couple tablespoons of soy sauce into your garlic butter. You could also add a touch just before serving right over the top.
- Dairy-Free - if you want to make this dairy-free, you could substitute olive oil for the butter. If you go this route, you may want to remove the drumsticks halfway through the cooking and brush the olive oil over them.
egrees. The cooking time, however, will vary slightly depending on large or small the drumsticks are.
The only sure way to know is to take the internal temperature using a digital thermometer. Your chicken needs to reach 165 degrees F in order for it to be safe to eat. Be sure you are checking the temperature in the thickest part of the chicken and that the thermometer isn’t touching any pieces of bone.
If you want to make your drumsticks extra juicy, or if you want to add a bit of flavor, you can feel free to use a marinade for your drumsticks. We suggest trying our Rosemary Garlic Chicken Breast Marinade, our 3 Citrus Chicken Marinade or our Lemon Chicken Marinade.
If you are serving them as a main course, we suggest 1 drumstick per child and 2 per adult. For appetizers, it depends on how much else you are serving but generally we would say 1 per person.
Garlic Butter Drumsticks Recipe
- 2-3 lbs Drumsticks
- 2 tablespoons Avocado Oil
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Pepper
Garlic Parmesan Coating
- 4 Tablespoons Butter room temperature
- ½ cup Parmesan Cheese Grated
- ½- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 2 teaspoon Parsley chopped for garnish
- ½ teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Remove drumsticks from their package, gently pat them dry with a paper towel and place into a baking dish. Season all sides with salt and pepper.
- In a mixing bowl, toss the drumsticks in a couple tablespoons of avocado oil. Add garlic powder, salt and pepper and combine again.
- Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for about 35-40 minutes, or until golden brown and a digital thermometer reads 165 degrees when inserted into the thickest part of the drumstick.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the butter, garlic powder, crushed red pepper freshly chopped parsely, and parmesan cheese.
- Coat the drumsticks in the garlic butter sauce. Let rest for 10 minutes, then garnish with more chopped parsley and serve. Enjoy!
More Chicken Drumstick Recipes
- Garlic Parmesan Drumsticks
- BBQ Drumsticks
- Honey Soy Drumsticks
- Simple Oven-Baked Chicken Drumsticks
- Mediterranean Grilled Chicken Drumsticks
- Buffalo Chicken Drumsticks
- More Chicken Recipes
- More Main Dishes
If you’ve tried this recipe, please rate it and leave a comment on this post. I love hearing feedback from you. It helps me and other readers too! If you love Pinterest, feel free to leave a comment and photo there too. Also, if you like to share, use the hashtag #thecarefreekitchen on Instagram and tag me @thecarefreekitchen so I can find you and give your post some love. You can also find me on Facebook at The Carefree Kitchen. Thank you!!
If you are looking for an easy chicken drumstick idea, try this yummy Garlic Butter Drumsticks recipe. They are nice and crispy on the outside, tender and juicy on the inside and super quick to throw together. These baked chicken drumsticks are a family favorite dinner recipe.