This simple Roasted Parmesan Zucchini side dish is sure to be your new favorite way to eat zucchini. It just takes a few simple ingredients and less than 30 minutes to prepare these crispy, cheesy bites of this classic summer vegetable.
Easy Parmesan Roasted Zucchini
What is it about the zucchini plant that makes it seem to provide a never ending supply? Even if you love zucchini, it can start to become difficult to find new ways to prepare it.
Trust me, we love us some Zucchini Bread around our house but if you are looking for something new, this Roasted Parmesan Zucchini recipe is perfect. The crispy roasted bites of zucchini are popping with flavor and covered with crispy bits of Parmesan cheese.
Eat as is, or drizzle with a bit of Garlic Basil Hemp Aioli for something totally special. Yum!
Cooking with Zucchini
Start by washing your zucchini well and cutting off the tips. There is no need to peel! In fact, the skin of zucchini is where much of the vitamins and minerals are hiding so it’s preferable to keep it on.
Next, you’ll need to cut and slice the zucchini into whichever shapes you want. Using this recipe as a base you can make roasted zucchini slices, half moons or even spears. If you decide to go with spears, you’ll want to adjust the roasting time and temperature to more like 400 degrees for about 15 minutes.
Ingredients in Roasted Parmesan Zucchini
- Zucchini - try and find zucchini that are firm, green and roughly the same size. You could also try this recipe with yellow squash.
- Avocado Oil - if you can’t find avocado oil, you can also substitute olive oil or even vegetable oil.
- Seasoning - we use Italian Seasoning, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Other tasty seasoning to try are onion powder, red pepper flakes or fresh basil.
- Parmesan Cheese - this should be shredded or grated fresh Parmesan cheese. The stuff from the can won’t melt correctly!
How to Make Oven Roasted Parmesan Zucchini
- Prep the zucchini. Wash and slice zucchini into ⅙" thick rounds.
- Toss with seasoning. Put the zucchini in a large bowl and add the avocado oil, Italian seasoning, garlic powder and Parmesan. Toss until well coated, then spread onto a baking sheet in an even layer and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Roast. Place in a preheated 350 degree oven for 15 minutes, or until barely soft. Remove from the oven and turn to broil. Broil for about 3-5 more minutes, or until golden brown and then remove from the oven.
- Serve. Let cool for a few minutes, then serve warm. Enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
How long to roast zucchini at 400 degrees.
For thin slices of Roasted Parmesan Zucchini, we actually roast at 350 degrees. However, if you decide that you want to cut thicker spears instead you will want to roast at 400 degrees for approximately 15 minutes. The higher temperature means you won’t have to cook for as long, helping ensure you won’t get soggy baked zucchini!
Do I have to peel zucchini?
Nope! The peel is extremely thin and chock full of vitamins and minerals, so keep the skin on.
How do I avoid soggy zucchini?
The best way to avoid soggy zucchini is to make sure not to overbake! The longer you roast, the more water will seep out. It also helps to make sure and bake the zucchini in a thin single layer on a sheet pan. If you need to use more than one tray, do so.
If you are still having trouble, try slicing your zucchini rounds a little thicker and that should help.
How should I store leftovers?
Roasted Parmesan Zucchini is definitely best eaten right after it is made. Leftovers will end up being a little soggy and there isn’t a whole lot you can do about it!
If you find yourself with a lot of leftover, though, stick them in an airtight container in the fridge and store for up to 3 days. You can always chop them up and use them in frittata, on sandwiches or in pasta and they will be delicious.
Oven Roasted Parmesan Zucchini Recipe
- 4 small Zucchini or about 8 cups sliced
- 2 Tablespoons Avocado Oil
- 1 ½ teaspoons Italian Seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ⅓ cup Parmesan Cheese shredded
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Wash and slice zucchini into ⅙" thick rounds.
- Put the zucchini in a large bowl and add the avocado oil, Italian seasoning, garlic powder and Parmesan. Toss until well coated, then spread onto a baking sheet in an even layer and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place in a preheated 350 degree oven for 15 minutes, or until barely soft. Remove from the oven and turn to broil. Broil for about 3-5 more minutes, or until golden brown and then remove from the oven.
- Let cool for a few minutes, then serve warm. Enjoy!
More Vegetable Recipes
- Zucchini Banana Bread
- Zucchini Cupcakes with Cinnamon Buttercream Frosting
- Homemade Zucchini Bread
- Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- Easy Quiche Recipe with Vegetables
- Easy Veggie Cups
- Roasted Red Potatoes
- Oven Brussel Sprouts
- Ranch Roasted Potatoes
- More Summer Recipes
- Easy Fall Recipes
- Easy Vegetable Side Dishes
If you’ve tried this recipe, please rate it and leave a comment on this post. I love hearing feedback from you helps me and other readers too! If you love Pinterest, feel free to leave a comment and photo there too. Also, if you like to share, use the hashtag #thecarefreekitchen on Instagram and tag me @thecarefreekitchen so I can find you and give your post some love. You can also find me on Facebook at The Carefree Kitchen. Thank you!!
If you are looking for a new way to prepare this classic summer vegetable, this recipe for Roasted Parmesan Zucchini is just for you. It's a super simple side dish that's full of flavor and can be made in less than 30 minutes.