This yummy Lemon Blueberry Bread is soft, moist, super simple and topped with a sugary homemade lemon glaze. It’s the perfect breakfast treat, afternoon snack or even dessert.
Lemon Blueberry Bread with Lemon Glaze
Raise your hand if you love lemon! No matter what time of year, lemon is always a good idea. In the spring and summer, it mimics the bright sunny weather and in the fall and winter it brings a little sunshine indoors. Add blueberries to the mix and you’ve got a match made in heaven.
This recipe is super simple - it doesn’t even require a mixer. We’ve also given you a few tips, tricks and substitutions as well as how to make your own lemon glaze with just 2 ingredients. Lemon Blueberry Bread tastes delicious just out of the oven. But, if you can wait, we prefer to let it cool just a bit to let the flavors really shine.
Ingredients in Lemon Blueberry Bread
- Flour - you can use all-purpose flour for this recipe.
- Baking Powder - this is what makes the loaves rise in the oven.
- Salt - sea salt works great.
- Eggs - you can use your favorite type of large eggs.
- Sugar - regular white granulated sugar.
- Butter - use unsalted, melted butter.
- Sour Cream - either full fat or lite will work. You could also substitute plain Greek yogurt.
- Lemon Paste - we recommend Taylor & College brand Gourmet Lemon Extract Paste. It’s super tangy and captures the true flavor of fresh lemon. You can also use another brand of lemon extract. When using lemon paste for another recipe, when it calls for one teaspoon of lemon extract, you'll use ½ tsp lemon paste. It's pretty strong so the ratio is 1:2.
- Lemon Zest - you can use the fresh lemon zest from the same lemons that you use to juice for the lemon glaze.
- Blueberries - we prefer to use fresh blueberries as opposed to frozen. Before mixing them in, we like to toss them in a bit of flour so that they don’t sink to the bottom while baking.
- Powdered Sugar - it’s always a good idea to sift your powdered sugar to get rid of any clumps.
- Lemon Juice - fresh lemon juice tastes best.
How to Make Lemon Blueberry Bread
- Prepare pans. Grease two 8”x4” loaf pans, or line with parchment paper, and set aside.
- Mix batter. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the sugar, eggs, melted butter, sour cream, lemon paste and lemon zest. Combine the flour mixture with the egg mixture and stir until smooth. Toss 1 ½ cups of blueberries with 2 teaspoons of flour and then gently fold into the batter.
- Add batter to pans. Divide the batter evenly between your prepared bread pans and top with the remaining 1 cup blueberries.
- Bake. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centers comes out clean. Remove from the oven and cool on a rack for 10 minutes, then gently run a knife around the edges of the bread and tease the bread out of the pan. Let cool completely on wire racks while you make the lemon glaze.
- Make glaze and serve. In a small bowl, whisk the powdered sugar and lemon juice until combined and free of lumps. Use a piping bag or a spoon to drizzle on top of cooled bread before serving. Enjoy!
Variations and Tips
- Gently tossing your blueberries with a bit of flour helps keep them from sinking to the bottom as they bake.
- We recommend using fresh blueberries rather than frozen blueberries. It will help the batter from turning purple!
- It’s best to make sure all of your ingredients are at room temperature so that they will mix together well.
- You can substitute another type of berry for blueberries, add chocolate chips or even eliminate them altogether! This
- It’s always recommended that you sift your powdered sugar. It tends to clump up in the package and ensure that you don’t need to whisk as much, therefore adding less air bubbles.
Can I Make Lemon Blueberry Bread Ahead of Time?
Definitely! You can make the batter a day in advance, divide the batter into the pans and store in the fridge overnight. When you are ready to bake, remove the pan from the fridge and let sit out at room temperature for at least 30 minutes while you preheat the oven.
Of course you can also make, bake and store your Lemon Blueberry bread (see below), but this way you can get ahead of your prep and still have fresh baked bread.
Storing and Freezing Lemon Blueberry Bread
- Fridge - your loaves should be covered and stored either at room temperature for up to 2 days or in the fridge for up to 1 week.
- Freezer - you may also wrap your mini loaves individually then place in a freezer bag and store frozen for up to 3 months. To thaw, transfer to the fridge or room temperature overnight.
Lemon Blueberry Bread Recipe
Lemon Blueberry Bread
- 2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 3 tablespoons Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 4 large Eggs
- ½ cup Butter melted
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- 1 ½ cups Sugar
- 1 tsp Lemon Paste or lemon extract
- 3 Tablespoons Lemon Zest
- 2 ½ cups Blueberries fresh
- 2 tsp Flour to toss blueberries in before adding them to the batter
- 2 cups Powdered Sugar
- ¼ cup Lemon Juice
Lemon Blueberry Bread
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease two 8”x4” loaf pans, or line with parchment paper, and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, melted butter, sour cream, lemon paste and lemon zest. Combine the flour mixture with the egg mixture and stir until smooth.
- Toss 1 ½ cups of blueberries with 2 teaspoons of flour and then gently fold into the batter.
- Divide the batter evenly between your prepared bread pans and top with the remaining 1 cup blueberries.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centers comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and cool on a rack for 10 minutes, then gently run a knife around the edges of the bread and tease the bread out of the pan. Let cool completely on wire racks while you make the lemon glaze.
- In a small bowl, combine the powdered sugar and lemon juice and whisk until combined.
- Use a piping bag or a spoon to drizzle on top of cooled bread before serving. Enjoy!
More Quick Bread Recipes
- Lemon Poppy Seed Bread
- Mini Lemon Blueberry Bread
- Homemade Zucchini Bread
- Homemade Banana Bread
- Double Chocolate Bread
Here are some more recipes with lemon that we love!
- Lemon Bundt Cake
- Lemon Cheesecake Fruit Dip
- Easy Lemon Sugar Cookie Bars
- Lemon Blueberry Scones
- Mint Lemonade
- Lemon Curd
If you’ve tried this recipe, please rate it and leave a comment on this post. I love hearing feedback from you helps me and other readers too! If you love Pinterest, feel free to leave a comment and photo there too. Also, if you like to share, use the hashtag #thecarefreekitchen on Instagram and tag me @thecarefreekitchen so I can find you and give your post some love. You can also find me on Facebook at The Carefree Kitchen. Thank you!!
This Lemon Blueberry Bread tastes amazing no matter what time of year it is. It's soft, moist, super easy to make and topped with a heavenly lemon glaze.