This Homemade Apple Cider Syrup, made with apple juice, brown sugar, butter and fall spices, is creamy, smooth, sweet and super simple to make. It’s the perfect seasonal syrup to serve over pancakes, waffles, ice cream and so much more.
Easy Homemade Apple Cider Syrup
What better way to celebrate the start of apple picking season than to pour this creamy, dreamy Homemade Apple Cider Syrup over literally everything. Not only is it incredibly versatile, it’s also laughably easy to make. If you end up with more fresh apple cider than you can possibly drink, this is the perfect recipe! Otherwise, it’s perfectly fine to make with plain old apple juice.
We season this syrup simply with brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and a touch of vanilla. A hefty splash of apple cider vinegar gives the syrup a nice boost, too.
If you are a fan of all-things-fall, you may find yourself adding this to cocktails, hot tea or even eating with a spoon straight from the jar. We won’t judge!
Apple Cider Syrup Uses
There are oh-so-many uses for homemade flavored syrup, and considering how easy they are to make you may as well try them all! Of course, you can drown your pancakes and waffles in Homemade Apple Cider Syrup. That’s probably what we use this for most!
However, don’t stop there. Here are a few of our other favorite uses:
- Add to cocktails and mocktails.
- Serve over vanilla ice cream.
- Drizzle over bread pudding, French toast casseroles, pound cake or any of your other favorite baked breakfast dishes.
- Serve with a slice of fresh baked apple pie.
- Seal in jars and give away as gifts.
Ingredients in Homemade Apple Cider Syrup
- Apple Juice - you can use any kind of apple juice or fresh apple cider.
- Brown Sugar - we prefer this flavor over regular sugar in Apple Cider Syrup. You can use either light or dark brown sugar.
- Cornstarch - this helps to thicken the syrup.
- Cinnamon - this recipe calls for ground cinnamon, but you could also add a whole cinnamon stick and remove it after cooling.
- Nutmeg - a little bit of this spice goes a long way.
- Salt - sea salt works great.
- Apple Cider Vinegar - this adds a great tartness, rounding off the flavors.
- Butter - you can use salted or unsalted butter.
- Vanilla Extract - pure vanilla extract tastes best.
How to Make Homemade Apple Cider Syrup
- Boil all but the vanilla. Heat a heavy bottomed saucepan over medium heat, then add the apple juice, brown sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, apple cider vinegar and butter and whisk to combine. Bring the mixture to a boil and continue to boil for 2 minutes while stirring occasionally.
- Add vanilla. Remove from heat, add the vanilla and stir again.
- Cool and serve. Allow to cool, then serve with pancakes and waffles, French toast, ice cream or apple pie. Enjoy!
Storing and Reheating
- Refrigerator - cool completely, then transfer the syrup to an airtight container where it can be stored in the fridge for up to 1 week.
- Freezer - you can store in an airtight container or freezer bags in the freezer for up to 3 months. To thaw, simply transfer to the refrigerator overnight.
- Reheating - you can reheat your syrup in the microwave, or else transfer to a small saucepan and reheat over medium heat until warmed through.
Homemade Apple Cider Syrup Recipe
- 2 cups Apple Juice or fresh apple cider
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon Nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon Salt
- 1 ½ Tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
- ¼ cup Butter
- ½ teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Heat a heavy bottomed saucepan over medium heat, then add the apple juice, brown sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, apple cider vinegar and butter and whisk to combine.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and continue to boil for 2 minutes while stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat, add the vanilla and stir again.
- Allow to cool completely, then serve with pancakes, waffles, French toast or ice cream. Enjoy!
More of Our Favorite Breakfast Syrups
- Homemade Buttermilk Syrup
- Blackberry Syrup
- Pumpkin Spice Syrup
- Mixed Berry Syrup
- Lemon Syrup
- Coconut Syrup
- More Sauces and Syrups
More Dessert Recipes You'll love...
If you’ve tried this recipe, please rate it and leave a comment on this post. I love hearing feedback from you helps me and other readers too! If you love Pinterest, feel free to leave a comment and photo there too. Also, if you like to share, use the hashtag #thecarefreekitchen on Instagram and tag me @thecarefreekitchen so I can find you and give your post some love. You can also find me on Facebook at The Carefree Kitchen. Thank you!!
This Homemade Apple Cider Syrup is the perfect seasonal syrup to serve over pancakes, waffles, ice cream and so much more. It's incredibly versatile and laughably easy to make.