This Homemade Hamburgers recipe is an easy summer classic that cooks up juicy and delicious every single time. Seasoned simply and served on a brioche bun with your favorite toppings - you really can’t go wrong.
Best Homemade Hamburgers Recipe
This is truly the only recipe for Homemade Hamburgers you will ever need. Seasoned with just a bit of steak seasoning and seasoning salt, these juicy burger patties taste great served on a toasted buttery brioche bun with a slice of cheese and your favorite burger toppings.
Grilled Homemade Burgers have an unmistakable flavor that is hard to beat. However, you can easily cook this burger recipe on a hot skillet over the stove. No matter how you choose to cook them, just make sure to check the internal temperature so they turn out exactly how you like. For more recipes to serve at your next BBQ, check out these summer grilling favorites.
Best Homemade Hamburger Ingredients
- Ground Beef - I prefer using 80/20 ground beef. 85/15 will also work but won’t be quite as juicy.
- Montreal Steak Seasoning - if you can’t find Montreal Steak Seasoning you can substitute any other kind of steak seasoning, or just use Worcestershire sauce.
- Seasoning Salt - this is basically salt with onion powder and garlic powder so you can feel free to substitute a combination of these.
- Buns - you can use brioche buns or any of your favorite hamburger buns.
- Butter - melted butter is used to brush onto the buns before toasting.
- Garlic Salt - I like to sprinkle a little garlic salt over the buns before toasting for some extra flavor.
Burger Toppings Ideas
- Sliced cheese
- Sliced tomatoes
- Sliced onion
- Sauteed mushrooms
- Bacon Jam
How to Make Homemade Hamburgers
- Form the burger patties. Divide the ground beef into 3 equal portions. Using your hands, gently shape each portion into ⅓ pound patties that are slightly larger than the buns. (Pro tip: shape them so that the center of the patty is slightly thinner than the edges)
- Season and cook the burgers. Season the patties with Montreal Steak Seasoning and Seasoning Salt as desired. ??Place patties onto the preheated grill, close the lid, and cook for approximately 4-5 minutes. Flip the burgers using a metal spatula, season, and continue cooking for an additional 4-5 minutes on the other side depending on how done you want them to be.
- Add the cheese. Add a slice of your favorite cheese to each patty during the last minute of grilling. Close the lid to allow the cheese to melt.
- Toast the hamburger buns. Once the burgers are finished cooking, allow them to rest. Meanwhile, open each bun and brush both pieces with melted butter. Sprinkle with garlic salt then toast the hamburger buns cut-side down on the grill grates for about 1-2 minutes, or until they are lightly toasted.
- Assemble the burgers. To assemble the burgers, place each patty on a toasted bun and add your preferred toppings, such as lettuce, tomato, onion, pickles, and condiments. Enjoy!
Homemade Hamburger Recipe Variations
When it comes to making homemade hamburgers, the possibilities are endless! Here are some mouthwatering recipe variations to elevate your burger game:
- Bacon Lover’s Burger - Take your cheeseburger to the next level by adding crispy bacon strips. Don’t forget to slather on some tangy barbecue sauce for that extra kick!
- Mushroom Swiss Burger - Elevate your burger with sautéed mushrooms, melted Swiss cheese, and a dollop of Dijon mustard for a touch of tanginess.
- Spicy Jalapeno Burger - If you like it hot, this burger is for you! Top your patty with sliced jalapenos, pepper jack cheese, and a spicy chipotle mayo.
- Guacamole Burger - For all the avocado lovers out there, this burger is a dream come true. Spread a generous amount of creamy guacamole on top of your patty, along with some sliced red onions, tomatoes, and lettuce. It's a refreshing twist that adds a burst of flavor.
- Hawaiian Burger - Transport yourself to a tropical paradise with this sweet and savory burger. Add a grilled pineapple slice, teriyaki sauce, and a sprinkle of shredded coconut to your beef patty.
- Veggie Burger - For the non-meat eaters, a veggie burger can be just as delicious and satisfying. Use your favorite store bought veggie burger or experiment with different combinations of beans, grains, and vegetables to create your perfect patty. Replace it to make any number of meat-free variations.
Frequently Asked Questions
To cook your hamburgers on the stovetop, follow all instructions except that you will preheat a skillet (or cast iron skillet) over medium high heat and cook the burger patties for approximately the same minutes per side as you would on the grill. You want for your pan or your grill to reach about 400 degrees F in order to properly sear the burgers.
Besides the basic seasoning in this hamburger patty recipe, you can also add Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, diced onions, crumbed or shredded cheese, chopped jalapenos, or a touch of bbq sauce.
Yes! You can freeze both uncooked patties and cooked patties. Wrap them well in plastic wrap then transfer to an airtight container or freezer bags. Store frozen for up to 3 months before thawing in the fridge overnight and either cooking or reheating.
Tips for Making Homemade Burgers for A Crowd
- Prepare the Patties ahead of time. You can buy the patties pre-made or make them with ground beef and store on a platter separated by parchment paper until ready to grill.
- Cover and Refrigerate: Cover your patties with plastic wrap and refrigerate them for at least 2 hours or overnight. This will allow the flavors to meld together and make them easier to handle on the grill.
- Season Your Meat: Don't be afraid to season your meat with your favorite spices and herbs. Salt, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika are all great choices. Have the spices, spatula and anything else you might need, ready to add when you cook the burgers.
- Offer a variety of toppings: Set up a toppings bar with lettuce, tomato, onions, pickles, cheese, and sauces like ketchup, mustard, and mayo so that guests can customize their burgers to their liking. You can prepare these ahead of time and store on a large platter covered with plastic wrap and stored in the fridge. (Be sure to line your platter with paper towels before arranging the toppings.)
- Keep them warm: Wrap your cooked burgers in foil and place them in a warm oven or slow cooker to keep them warm until serving time.
- Don't forget the sides: Serve your burgers with classic sides like baked beans, potato salad, coleslaw, or grilled corn on the cob for a complete meal.
Storing and Reheating
- Refrigerator: store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Freezer: cooked burgers can be wrapped well and stored frozen for up to 3 months.
- To reheat: you can reheat either in the microwave or on a hot skillet over the stovetop.
Best Homemade Hamburgers Recipe
- 1 pound Ground Hamburger (80/20) fat content
- 1 teaspoon Montreal Steak Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Seasoning Salt
- 3 medium Brioche Buns
- 1 Tablespoon Butter melted
- ½ teaspoon Garlic Salt
- 3 slices Cheddar Cheese
- 3 large Lettuce Leaves
- ½ medium Tomato sliced
- Condiments ketchup, mustard, mayo, fry sauce, etc.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat, or around 400 degrees F.
- Divide the ground beef into 3 equal portions. Using your hands, gently shape each portion into ⅓ pound patties that are slightly larger than the buns. (Pro tip: shape them so that the center of the patty is slightly thinner than the edges)
- Season the patties with Montreal Steak Seasoning and Seasoning Salt as desired.
- Place patties onto the preheated grill, close the lid, and cook for approximately 4-5 minutes. Flip the burgers using a metal spatula, season, and continue cooking for an additional 4-5 minutes on the other side depending on how done you want them to be*.
- Add a slice of your favorite cheese to each patty during the last minute of grilling. Close the lid to allow the cheese to melt.
- Once the burgers are finished cooking, allow them to rest. Meanwhile, open each bun and brush both pieces with melted butter. Sprinkle with garlic salt then toast the hamburger buns cut-side down on the grill grates for about 1-2 minutes, or until they are lightly toasted.
- To assemble the burgers, place each patty on a toasted bun and add your preferred toppings, such as lettuce, tomato, onion, pickles, and condiments. Enjoy!
More Of Our Favorite BBQ Recipes
- Grilled Garlic Parmesan Chicken
- Southwest Chicken Kabobs
- Grilled Pizza
- Asian Beef Kabobs
- Honey Mustard Grilled Chicken
- Grilled Apricot Chicken
- Grilled Chicken BLT Salad
- Mediterranean Grilled Chicken Drumsticks
- More Beef Recipes
- More Easy Summer Recipes
If you’ve tried this recipe, please rate it and leave a comment on this post. I love hearing feedback from you. It helps me and other readers too! If you love Pinterest, feel free to leave a comment and photo there too. Also, if you like to share, use the hashtag #thecarefreekitchen on Instagram and tag me @thecarefreekitchen so I can find you and give your post some love. You can also find me on Facebook at The Carefree Kitchen. Thank you!!
This best Homemade Hamburgers recipe is perfect for summer grilling or cooking on the stovetop all year long. Serve on a bun with sliced cheese and your favorite burger toppings.