This easy Frog Eye Salad recipe is made with fresh fruit and instant pudding. It's a great fruit salad recipe for BBQs and one of the best potluck salads. This acini de pepe frog eye salad is a twist on the classic and is delicious every time!
This is a variation of my Mom's frog eye salad, a classic side salad for BBQ.
What is Frog Eye Salad?
Frog eye salad is made with a tiny round noodle called ancini de pepe. It is also called "ancini de pepe frog eye salad" recipe. Ancini de pepe is a tiny pasta ball and feels like frog eyes in your mouth.
I know that sounds gross but it actually has a really fun texture and especially kids love it. The ancini de pepe is cooked, cooled, and then mixed with a variety of fresh fruits, instant pudding, and whipped cream.
It's fruit salad, has a fun, creamy texture, and everyone loves it.
The classic recipe has egg yolks and a few extra ingredients this recipe doesn't include. I gave this potluck fruit salad a little facelift, used fresh fruit, and made it a little easier using pudding powder and whipped cream. By eliminating the eggs step I was able to cut out a few steps and lighten it up a little.
This recipe is an easy frog eye salad for a crowd, the perfect potluck salad recipe. This is a fruit salad everyone will love. It goes great with sandwiches, BBQ meat, or fried chicken potlucks.
Frog Eye Fruit Salad Recipe
This is an easy frog eye salad with pudding. I use the Jello instant pudding.
You can use any flavor you like best. I personally love the white chocolate instant pudding but the vanilla, cheesecake, banana cream, pistachio, or lemon works great too.
Frog eye salad with instant pudding makes this one of those easy potluck salads.
This is also frog eye salad without eggs. The classic frog eye salad with pudding recipe has you make a juice and egg base for the creaminess.
Ingredients in Frog Eye Salad
This recipe uses the instant jello pudding and whipped cream, it eliminates the need for any eggs in this frogs eye salad recipe.
The recipe for frog eye fruit salad is usually made with fruit cocktail from a can or at least mandarin oranges from a can. Fruit cocktail can be a little mushy and non-appetizing to eat.
The frog eye salad ingredients in this salad go great with fresh fruit. You can use whatever fruit you like best that holds up in a creamy salad. In this recipe, I used fresh grapes, fresh diced pineapple, and fresh Tangerines.
You could also use strawberries, bananas, mangos, or apples.
When thinking about freshening up this recipe, I also decided to do a frog eye salad with whipping cream. It only takes a few minutes to whip cream and the results are so much better.
You are going to love this easy frog eye salad recipe. It is the best frog eye salad recipe!
Here are some other great ideas to take to a potluck:
Orange Creamsicle Sugar Cookie Bars
Easy Frog Eye Salad
- 1 pkg Ancini de Pepe
- 1 small package Instant Pudding White Chocolate, vanilla, or your favorite flavor
- 2 ½ cups pineapple juice you can also use orange juice or milk if desired.
- 1 ½ cups Pineapple fresh
- 1 cups Grapes fresh, halved
- 1 cup Tangerines or Manderines Fresh
- 1 ½ cup Whipping Cream whipped
- ½ cup Coconut shredded, sweetened
- 5 cups marshmallows mini
- Cook the ancini de pepe according to the directions on the package. After you cook and drain the hot water, run cool water over the pasta to cool it down. Strain the pasta and put it in the fridge to continue to cool.
- Mix the instant pudding mix and pineapple juice together. Stir with whisk or fork for a couple of minutes or until there aren't any lumps and the pudding is getting a little thicker. Set aside to continue to thicken.
- Cut the fruit into bite-sized pieces.
- Whip the heavy whipping cream with an electric mixer. Whip until there are soft peaks.
- Fold the thickened instant pudding and whipped cream together with a spatula.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the ancini de pepe, the pudding mixture, cut up fresh fruit, coconut, and marshmallows. Mix gently until all the ingredients are combined.
- Store in the fridge until needed. Enjoy!
If you’ve tried this recipe, please rate it and leave a comment on this post. I love hearing feedback from you helps me and other readers too! If you love Pinterest, feel free to leave a comment and photo there too. Also, if you like to share, use the hashtag #thecarefreekitchen on Instagram and tag me @thecarefreekitchen so I can find you and give your post some love. You can also find me on Facebook at The Carefree Kitchen. Thank you!!
Save this for later!!
This Easy Frog Eye Fruit Salad recipe is made with fresh fruit and instant pudding. It's a great salad recipe for BBQ and one of the best potluck salads. This acini de pepe frog eye salad is a twist on the classic and is delicious every time!
Super easy to make. Was so yummy!