This Lemon Poppy Seed Bundt Cake is light and fluffy, perfectly sweet, and studded with crunchy poppy seeds. It’s a simple, classically delicious cake to make whether you are expecting guests or just want something sweet.
Glazed Lemon Poppy Seed Cake
There’s something about lemon poppy seed that is just so nostalgic, and the combo is a classic for a reason. Poppy seeds are able to pack so much nutty flavor and delicate crunchy texture into a teeny, tiny package.
Our version of Lemon Poppy Seed Bundt Cake is topped with a homemade, sweet and tangy lemon glaze that drips all over the top. It’s so simple, but just so beautiful and perfect for serving company, bringing as a housewarming gift, serving mini versions for a baby shower or simply making for yourself at home.
The bright lemon flavor is perfect for any time of year and tastes amazing with a little dollop of whipped cream and fresh berries. If you love the lemon poppyseed combo, be sure to try our Lemon Poppyseed Bread too. Or, if you're simply looking for more of the best lemon recipes, we’ve got you covered.
Ingredients in Lemon Poppy Seed Bundt Cake
- Flour - either all-purpose flour or cake flour will work best.
- Baking Powder - this is what makes the cake rise in the oven.
- Salt - sea salt is our favorite.
- Sour Cream - any type of sour cream will work great. You can also substitute whole fat Greek yogurt, or even low-fat Greek yogurt if you are trying to cut calories.
- Sugar - you’ll need regular white granulated sugar.
- Eggs - any type of large eggs will work.
- Lemon Zest - use fresh lemon zest saved from the lemons you use to make the glaze.
- Vegetable Oil - you can also substitute avocado oil which is relatively flavor-free.
- Poppy Seeds - you can find these in any spice section of your grocery store.
- Powdered Sugar - any type will work. We suggest sifting it first.
- Lemon Juice - use fresh lemon juice and be sure and save the zest for the cake.
- Vanilla Extract - pure vanilla extract tastes best.
- Lemon Extract - use your favorite brand.
How to Make Lemon Poppy Seed Bundt Cake
- Make lemon glaze. In a large bowl, add the powdered sugar, lemon juice, vanilla extract and lemon extract. Whisk well to combine, adding a bit more lemon juice or powdered sugar if necessary to reach your desired consistency. Set aside.
- Mix batter. Grease and flour a 9" bundt cake pan and set aside. In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. In a separate large bowl, whisk together sour cream, sugar, eggs, lemon zest, oil and poppy seeds. Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture, stirring until combined, then pour cake batter into the prepared bundt cake pan.
- Bake. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Invert cake. Once baked, remove from the oven and let the cake cool for about 5 minutes, then put a plate or serving dish on the top of the bundt cake pan and flip the cake onto the serving plate.
- Serve. Drizzle the glaze over the cake and let it cool completely before slicing. Serve with a dollop of whipped cream and fresh berries. Enjoy!
What Size Bundt Cake Pans Can I Use?
You can use either a 9 cup or 10 cup bundt cake pan for this recipe. Obviously, the 10 cup cake pan will yield a slightly shallower cake. If you want a larger cake, we have given a conversion for using a 12 cup bundt pan below.
This is also a great recipe for making mini bundt cakes - just be sure and adjust the bake time accordingly.
Tips and Tricks
- How to get your bundt cake out of the pan. First, be sure and use a non-stick bundt pan and spray with a little nonstick cooking spray for good measure. Once it has completely baked, let it cool at room temperature for about 5-10 minutes, but no more! If you let it cool too long, it’s likely to stick. If you still find it sticking in some spots, turn it back over and go over those areas carefully with a knife.
- Room temperature ingredients. Your ingredients will mix together much more cohesively if they are all room temperature.
- What size bundt pan to use. You can use either a 9 cup or 10 cup bundt cake pan for this recipe. Obviously, the 10 cup cake pan will yield a slightly shallower cake. If you want a larger cake, we have given a conversion for using a 12 cup bundt pan below. This is also a great recipe for making mini bundt cakes - just be sure and adjust the bake time accordingly.
Storing and Freezing
- How to Store: Wrap any unfinished cake in aluminum foil, or a cake carrier with an airtight lid, and your Lemon Poppy Seed Bundt Cake can be stored for up to 2 days at room temperature, or up to 4 days in the refrigerator.
- How to Freeze: Wrap your unglazed bundt cake well with plastic wrap and aluminum foil. Place in a larger freezer bag if it will fit, and store in the freezer for up to 2 months. Once you are ready to eat, pull from the freezer and store at room temperature, or in the fridge, overnight. Glaze at least an hour before eating so it has a chance to set.
Lemon Poppyseed Bundt Cake Recipe
- 1 ½ cup Flour
- 2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Sugar
- 3 large Eggs
- ½ cup Vegetable Oil
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- 1 ½ teaspoon Lemon Zest from 2-3 Fresh Lemons
- 1 ½ Tablespoons Poppy Seeds
- ⅔ cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- ½ teaspoon Lemon Extract
- ½ teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9-10 cup bundt cake pan.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk together sour cream, sugar, eggs, lemon zest, oil, poppy seeds, vanilla, and lemon extract.
- Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture. Stir until combined.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Put a plate or serving dish on the top of the bundt cake pan and flip the cake onto the serving plate.
- Make the glaze by whisking together the powdered sugar, lemon juice, lemon extract and vanilla extract. Add more lemon juice if necessary to reach your desired consistency.
- Drizzle the glaze over the cake and let it set up before slicing to serve.
- Serve wit a dollop of whipped cream and some fresh raspberries. Enjoy!
Here are more easy bundt cake recipes!
- Lemon Bundt Cake
- Lemon Funfetti Bundt Cake
- Coconut Filled Chocolate Bundt Cake
- Lemon Raspberry Bundt Cake
- Lemon Blueberry Bundt Cake
- Lime Bundt Cake
- More Cake Recipes
- Lemon Pound Cake Recipe
- More Dessert Recipes
- Old Fashioned Pineapple Cake with Caramel Topping
If you’ve tried this recipe, please rate it and leave a comment on this post. I love hearing feedback from you helps me and other readers too! If you love Pinterest, feel free to leave a comment and photo there too. Also, if you like to share, use the hashtag #thecarefreekitchen on Instagram and tag me @thecarefreekitchen so I can find you and give your post some love. You can also find me on Facebook at The Carefree Kitchen. Thank you!!
Lemon Poppy Seed Bundt Cake is a simple, classically delicious cake to make whether you are expecting guests or just want something sweet. It's light and fluffy, perfectly sweet and studded with crunchy, nutty poppy seeds.