This easy homemade Chicken Spaghetti is a classic comfort food that is perfect for any night of the week. We mix together a creamy, cheesy sauce, cooked chicken and spaghetti pasta before topping with mozzarella and baking to perfection.
Easy Chicken Spaghetti Casserole
This simple weeknight Chicken Spaghetti casserole is a family favorite around our house. We often make it just as the recipe calls for. But, just as often we like to make little tweaks here and there, whether to add a little spice, a different cheese or toss in some leftover veggies.
Speaking of leftovers, Chicken Spaghetti is the perfect recipe to whip out when you find yourself with leftover cooked chicken. Whether you have cooked chicken breast, crockpot shredded chicken or a grocery store rotisserie chicken without a plan, they will all make an equally yummy casserole.
Another thing to love about this recipe? It makes a perfect freezer meal! Make one for now and one for later.
Ingredients to Make Chicken Spaghetti
- Spaghetti - considering it is half of the name, we generally stick with spaghetti noodles here. It will work with other pastas, though, if you don’t have any laying around.
- Chicken Broth - you can use store bought or homemade chicken broth.
- Cream Cheese - we prefer full fat cream cheese, but you can try using low fat.
- Sour Cream - full fat or lite will work great. You can also substitute a can of either Cream of Mushroom Soup or Cream of Chicken Soup!
- Garlic Powder - this adds a nice sweet garlic flavor.
- Parmesan Cheese - grated or shredded Parmesan cheese works best.
- Cooked Chicken - we love using either rotisserie chicken, or any leftover cooked chicken, because it saves time and dishes. You can absolutely cook chicken breasts for this recipe specifically if you’d like.
- Mozzarella Cheese - you can shred your own or buy pre-shredded. You can also try other types, or mixing and matching mozzarella, cheddar and Monterey Jack.
- Parsley - this adds a nice freshness and color as a garnish, but it’s completely optional.
How to Make Chicken Spaghetti
- Cook spaghetti. Cook spaghetti noodles to al dente according to package instructions, drain and set aside.
- Make the creamy sauce. In a large pot over medium heat, add the chicken broth, cream cheese, sour cream, and garlic powder. Bring to a low simmer and stir until all ingredients are combined.
- Add chicken and spread into baking dish. Remove from the heat, then add in the cooked spaghetti, Parmesan cheese, the diced chicken and half of the mozzarella cheese. Mix to combine, then spread into a 9" x 13" baking dish.
- Bake. Top with the remaining mozzarella cheese and bake in a preheated oven for 20-30 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly on top.
- Serve. Remove from the oven, garnish with fresh chopped parsley and serve hot. Enjoy!
Other than the substitutions we mentioned in the ingredients list, here are a few other ideas if you want to mix things up:
- Spicy Chicken Spaghetti - add diced tomatoes and canned green chilis.
- Veggie Chicken Spaghetti - add sautéed bell peppers, zucchini, broccoli and/or spinach.
- Shrimp Spaghetti - instead of chicken, you can try adding small cooked shrimp.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Long Does Rotisserie Chicken Last?
Generally speaking, rotisserie chicken should last for up to 3-4 days if stored properly in the refrigerator. Be sure that it has cooled completely before storing in an airtight container and putting into the fridge.
Can I Make this Ahead of Time?
Yup! You can prep completely, then cover and store in the refrigerator for up to 2 days before baking. Once you are ready to bake, remove from the fridge and let sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes while your oven preheats to 350 degrees. Then, bake as directed.
Can I Freeze Chicken Spaghetti?
This works great as a freezer meal, particularly if you make and freeze it in a disposable foil pan. You can prep it completely, then freeze before baking for up to 2 months. Once you are ready to eat, remove from the freezer for at least 30 minutes and then bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 45 minutes - 1 hour (it will take longer to bake from frozen).
More Leftover Rotisserie Chicken Recipes
If you're looking for some Healthy Chicken Recipes, Be sure to check out my list here for some dinner inspiration.
Chicken Spaghetti Recipe
- 1 lb Spaghetti Pasta
- 2 cups Chicken Broth
- 8 oz Cream Cheese
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- ½ tsp Garlic Powder
- ½ cup Parmesan Cheese shredded
- 2 cups Cooked Chicken rotisserie or other, cut into ½" chunks
- 2 cups Mozzarella Cheese shredded
- 2 tsp Parsley chopped for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook spaghetti noodles to al dente according to package instructions, drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan over medium heat, add the chicken broth, cream cheese, sour cream, and garlic powder. Bring to a low simmer and stir until all ingredients are combined.
- Remove from the heat, then add in the cooked spaghetti, Parmesan cheese, the diced chicken and half of the mozzarella cheese. Mix to combine, then spread into a 9" x 13" baking dish.
- Top with the remaining mozzarella cheese and bake in a preheated oven for 20-30 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly on top.
- Remove from the oven, garnish with fresh chopped parsley and serve hot. Enjoy!
Best Pasta Recipes!
- Chicken Spaghetti
- Sun Dried Tomato Penne Pasta
- Chicken Pesto Pasta Recipe
- Homemade Mac and Cheese Stovetop
- Easy Baked Ziti
- Homemade Lasagna
- Slow Cooker Tortellini Pasta Bake
- Meatball Pasta Bake
- Creamy Pesto Pasta Salad
- 4 cheese Stuffed Pasta
- Lasagna Soup Recipe
If you’ve tried this recipe, please rate it and leave a comment on this post. I love hearing feedback from you. It helps me, and other readers too! If you love Pinterest, feel free to leave a comment and photo there too. Also, if you like to share, use the hashtag #thecarefreekitchen on Instagram and tag me @thecarefreekitchen so I can find you and give your post some love. You can also find me on Facebook at The Carefree Kitchen. Thank you!!
This Chicken Spaghetti casserole is creamy, cheesy classic comfort food. It's great for a simple dinner or freezer meal any night of the week!