Homemade Chicken Broth is an easy, delicious and maybe even super healthy. Whether you’re drinking bone broth for your health or just looking for a delicious base to your favorite soup, here’s the recipe for you!
You can make it on the stove, in a slow cooker or in the oven!
What is the difference between Bone broth and chicken stock.
Here’s an answer from BonAppetite.
“Bone brothÂ is essentiallyÂ stock,” he admits. The confusion comes from the traditional definition forÂ stock, which is more viscous due to the collagen that seeps out of joints andÂ bonesÂ during long-term cooking, andÂ broth, which is thinner and is made with more actual meat (versus meat-strippedÂ bonesÂ used forstock).Jan 12, 2017
Basically, bone broth is the same as chicken stock, it is just cooked longer!
There’s a lot of chatter in the health world about bone broth and the health benefits of it.Â Some health experts claim it can help treat leaky gut syndrome, overcome food intolerances, improve joint health, reduce cellulite and boost your immune system.
Whether you’re using this chicken stock as a base for your soup or for the health benefits, here’s a recipe for you! So delicious!!
You can make this recipe in a crockpot, on the stove or in the oven!
There’s a study done by Harvard UniversityÂ Â giving all the ins and outs of the benefits and possibly misconceptions about bone broth.
I’m not an expert and certainly don’t know everything about it but what I do know is it makes really amazing chicken noodle soup. You can get my easy Chicken noodle soup recipe here.
Tips for making Homemade Chicken Stock:
- For the slowcooker–Just put all the ingredients in your slowcooker. Add enough water to cover all the ingredients.Â Cook on low for 12-24 hours.Â (I like to put my slow cooker in the garage or the back patio so my house doesn’t smell like chicken for daaaaays!)
- On the stovetop– put all the ingredients in a large pot.Â Cover with water and cook on low for 12-14 hours.Â Don’t cook on the stovetop over night.-safety first!)
- In the oven–You can cook it in the oven for 12-24 hours too.
- Be sure to check your chicken stock every few hours to make sure all the liquid has not evaporated.Â Add extra water if you need to.
- You can store the bone broth in the fridge for 3-4 days or the freezer for several weeks.
- Chicken Stock or Chicken Bone BrothPrep Time10 minsCook Time16 hrsTotal Time16 hrs
This recipe for chicken stock or chicken bone broth is easy, healthy and delicious! If you're making bone broth, just allow for more time to cook. It's considered bone broth when the bones are actually cooked till soft. (usually cooked 12-24 hours)Servings: 6 peopleCalories: 100 kcalIngredients
- 1 large Chicken Bones--I like to use a rotisserie chicken. You can buy chicken bones from your butcher but I've found a chicken with the meat picked off makes really flavorful chicken stock
- 4 large Carrots
- 1 large Onion
- 5 large Garlic Cloves
- 3 large Bay leaves
- 3 large Celery Stalks--The celery heart works great too
Pick the meat off of a rotisserie chicken. There's no need to leave any meat on it. You can buy chicken bones from your butcher but using a rotisserie chicken is simple and makes a delicious bone broth.
Chop your onion, carrots, garlic and celery.
Put all of your ingredients in a large pot with your bay leaves. Fill the pot with water enough to cover the ingredients.
For the slowcooker--Just put all the ingredients in your slowcooker. Add enough water to cover all the ingredients. Cook on low for 12-24 hours. (I like to put my slow cooker in the garage or the back patio so my house doesn't smell like chicken for daaaaays!)
On the stovetop-- put all the ingredients in a large pot. Cover with water and cook on low for 12-14 hours. Don't cook on the stovetop over night.-safety first!)
In the oven--You can cook it in the oven for 12-24 hours too.
Be sure to check your chicken stock every few hours to make sure all the liquid has not evaporated. Add extra water if you need to.
You can store the bone broth in the fridge for 3-4 days or the freezer for several weeks.
Drink it for the health benefits or use as a base to your favorite soup! Enjoy!