This easy Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo recipe is made with juicy, tender chicken breasts, perfectly cooked pasta, and our creamy homemade Alfredo sauce. It’s a perfect weeknight dinner that’s quick and super satisfying.
The Best Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo Recipe
One of my favorite comfort foods has got to be this Easy Chicken Alfredo Recipe. It’s an incredibly hearty meal that everyone seems to love and it uses basic ingredients like pasta, chicken breasts, heavy cream, Parmesan cheese, and a few simple spices.
From start to finish, this Chicken Alfredo recipe takes less than 30 minutes to prepare and it is always a major hit with both kids and adults. For a larger meal, I love serving this recipe with homemade breadsticks and a fresh, crunchy salad like this Cucumber Tomato Avocado Salad.
Chicken Alfredo Fettuccine Ingredients
- Pasta - fettuccine is the most widely used pasta for chicken Alfredo recipes. However, just about any noodles will work great.
- Chicken Breasts - boneless skinless chicken breasts are perfect for this recipe. I like to filet them first so that they cook quicker and the pieces are a bit smaller. You could also make this without chicken if you wanted to do a vegetarian Alfredo dish.
- Olive Oil - you’ll need just a little bit of olive oil or avocado oil to cook the chicken breasts.
- Cream - heavy cream is a key ingredient in Alfredo sauce and really difficult to replace. Unlike milk, heavy cream has enough fat content to keep the sauce from curdling while it cooks. If you do need to make a substitution, half and half is the next best thing.
- Chicken Broth - you can substitute vegetable broth if you want to make this vegetarian.
- Nutmeg - a little nutmeg is a classic Alfredo sauce ingredient that adds lots of flavor.
- Garlic Salt - if you don’t have garlic salt you can substitute half salt and half garlic powder. If you wanted, you could also just season to taste with garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Parmesan Cheese - be sure and use freshly grated Parmesan cheese so that it melts well and keep the sauce super creamy.
How to Make Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo
- Cook the pasta. Cook the pasta in a pot of salted water, boiling until al dente according to package instructions.
- Prepare the chicken. Meanwhile, filet each chicken breast into 2 even pieces. Heat a large saucepan over medium heat and add the olive oil. Once the pan is hot, add the chicken and cook until golden. Flip to the other side, place a lid on the pan, and continue to cook until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F. Once cooked, remove the chicken from the pan and let the chicken rest for about 5 minutes before slicing into strips. Do not clean the pan!
- Cook the Alfredo sauce. Heat the same pan you used for the chicken over medium heat and add the heavy cream. Use a wooden spoon to scrape the bits of chicken from the bottom of the pan, then add the chicken broth, nutmeg, and garlic salt. Bring to a boil, then continue to boil while stirring for 1 minute. After 1 minute, add the grated Parmesan cheese and simmer while stirring for about 5 minutes so that the cheese can melt and the sauce can reduce slightly.
- Toss and serve. Remove the alfredo sauce from the heat and toss with the cooked pasta. Add the chicken and toss again. Garnish with fresh parsley if desired, and serve immediately. Enjoy!
Chicken Fettuccine Recipe Variations
Looking to spice up your Chicken Fettuccine? Here are some creative variations to try:
- Spicy Cajun: Add a kick to your fettuccine by incorporating Cajun seasoning into the sauce. The blend of spices will give your dish a bold and vibrant flavor.
- Vegetarian Mushroom Alfredo: For a vegetarian version, skip the chicken and saute sliced mushrooms in butter before adding them to your Alfredo sauce.
- Spinach and Sun-Dried Tomato: Boost the nutritional value of your chicken fettuccine by incorporating fresh spinach and sun-dried tomatoes. Simply wilt the spinach and toss in the tomatoes for a vibrant and flavorful addition.
- Lemon Herb: For a light and refreshing variation, add a squeeze of lemon juice and a sprinkle of your favorite herbs, such as parsley or basil.
- Broccoli and Cheddar: Make your chicken fettuccine more wholesome by adding steamed broccoli florets and shredded cheddar cheese. The combination of creamy cheese and tender broccoli will have everyone asking for seconds.
- Pesto and Tomato: Give your fettuccine an Italian twist by mixing in some homemade or store-bought pesto sauce. Add cherry tomatoes for a burst of sweetness and color to complete the dish.
Frequently Asked Questions
There are so many delicious recipes that go great with Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo. I love serving this with Garlic Pull Apart Bread or our Copycat Olive Garden Breadsticks and something fresh like this Cucumber Tomato Avocado Salad.
The best way to thicken Alfredo sauce is simply to let it simmer. This allows more water to evaporate and help to thicken the sauce. Using heavy cream also helps to keep the sauce nice and thick.
I highly recommend using heavy cream in this recipe simply because anything with more water content is more likely to curdle. If you do make a substitution, the next best thing would be half and half.
With a couple of easy tips, you can make your Alfredo sauce ahead of time and reheat it without it breaking. The best way to reheat Alfredo sauce is in a small saucepan with the heat nice and low. It’s a good idea to add a little splash of milk or water and be sure to stir while you reheat.
Storing and Reheating
- Refrigerator: store leftover Chicken Fettuccini Alfredo in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. You can also store the Alfredo sauce separately in a jar or covered container in the fridge for up to about 5 days.
- To reheat: reheat leftover pasta in the microwave, or in a saucepan over very low heat with an extra splash of milk or water. To reheat Alfredo sauce on its own, place it in a saucepan with a little milk or chicken broth to thin it out, and reheat it slowly. Be sure to stir constantly so the cheese can melt without scorching.
Easy Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo Recipe
- 1 pound Fettuccine Pasta
- 1 pound Chicken Breasts boneless skinless
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
Homemade Alfredo Sauce
- 2 cups Heavy Cream
- 1 cup Chicken Broth
- 1 pinch Nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon Garlic Salt
- 2 cups Parmesan Cheese grated
- Cook the pasta in a pot of salted water, boiling until al dente according to package instructions.
- Meanwhile, filet each chicken breast into 2 even pieces. Heat a large saucepan over medium high heat and add the olive oil. Once the pan is hot, add the chicken and cook until golden. Flip to the other side, place a lid on the pan, and continue to cook until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Once cooked, remove the chicken from the pan and let the chicken rest for about 5 minutes before slicing into strips. Do not clean the pan!
- Heat the same pan you used for the chicken over medium heat and add the heavy cream. Use a wooden spoon to scrape the bits of chicken from the bottom of the pan, then add the chicken broth, nutmeg, and garlic salt. Bring to a boil, then continue to boil while stirring for 1 minute.
- After 1 minute, add the grated Parmesan cheese, reduce the heat to medium, and simmer while stirring for about 5 minutes so that the cheese can melt and the sauce can reduce slightly.
- Remove the alfredo sauce from the heat and toss with the cooked fettuccine pasta. Add the sliced chicken and toss again. Garnish with fresh parsley if desired, and serve immediately. Enjoy!
Most of the Best Pasta Recipes
- Spaghetti Carbonara
- Buffalo Chicken Pasta
- Sausage and Pepper Pasta
- Ground Beef Pasta Bake
- Homemade Lasagna
- Slow Cooker Tortellini Bake
- Chicken Pesto Pasta
- Garlic Parmesan Orzo
- Baked Penne Pasta with Italian Meatballs
- Homemade Meat Sauce for Pasta
- More Pasta Recipes
- More Sauce Recipes
If you’ve tried this recipe, please rate it and leave a comment on this post. I love hearing feedback from you. It helps me and other readers too! If you love Pinterest, feel free to leave a comment and photo there too. Also, if you like to share, use the hashtag #thecarefreekitchen on Instagram and tag me @thecarefreekitchen so I can find you and give your post some love. You can also find me on Facebook at The Carefree Kitchen. Thank you!!
This easy and delicious homemade Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo is a favorite weeknight recipe. It uses simple ingredients and is a meal that everyone loves.