This quick and easy Buffalo Chicken Pasta recipe is a family favorite that can be ready in about 30 minutes flat. The creamy, cheesy buffalo sauce coats every piece of juicy chicken and pasta for a home cooked meal that everyone loves.
Creamy Buffalo Chicken Pasta
On those nights when you just don't know what to cook for dinner, this Buffalo Chicken Pasta recipe has got your back. The creamy buffalo chicken pasta sauce uses hot sauce, chicken broth, cream cheese, and shredded mozzarella. It comes together in no time and is the perfect match for bite-sized chicken and your favorite pasta.
For a quick and easy shortcut, feel free to use rotisserie chicken or leftover cooked chicken that you want to use up. Top with blue cheese crumbles, fresh parsley, and another sprinkle of hot sauce for a little taste of heaven. If you love buffalo pasta, I also highly recommend giving this Frank’s Buffalo Chicken Dip a try. And if you love Buffalo Chicken flavors, be sure to try all our Buffalo Chicken Recipes.
Ingredients in Chicken Buffalo Pasta
- Pasta - you can use penne pasta, cavatappi, or whatever pasta you have on hand. Make sure to cook just to al dente so that it doesn’t become too mushy while it sits in the warm pot with the cheese melting on top.
- Chicken - this pasta dish calls for boneless skinless chicken breast that is cut into small bite-sized pieces. One excellent substitute would be to use rotisserie chicken or any other kind of leftover cooked chicken or shredded chicken that you want to use up.
- Salt and Pepper
- Chicken Broth - you can use any type of chicken broth or chicken stock for this recipe.
- Cream Cheese - you’ll either want to cut the cream cheese into small pieces or let it sit out at room temperature until softened. This will make it melt into the sauce much more quickly.
- Hot Sauce - my favorite is Frank’s Red Hot Sauce, but you can use your favorite hot sauce or buffalo wings sauce.
- Garlic Powder - this adds a nice mild garlic flavor to the sauce.
- Mozzarella Cheese - you could also substitute Monterey Jack cheese, or half Pepper Jack cheese. I recommend shredding your own from a block as it melts better than pre shredded cheese.
- Toppings: I like to top with blue cheese crumbles, extra Frank’s Red Hot Sauce, and fresh chopped parsley. Some more toppings to use would be sliced green onions, bacon bits, or even a drizzle of blue cheese or ranch dressing.
How to Make This Buffalo Pasta Recipe
- Cook the pasta. In a large pot, cook the pasta to al dente, according to package instructions.
- Cook the chicken. While the pasta is cooking, heat a large saucepan over medium heat and add the diced chicken breast. Season with salt and pepper, then cook while stirring until the chicken is no longer pink. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Make the buffalo cheese sauce. In the same pan, add the chicken broth, cream cheese, hot sauce, and garlic powder. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and continue to cook until the cream cheese is melted and smooth, whisking as needed.
- Add the shredded cheese, chicken, and pasta. Add half of the shredded cheese and stir until the cheese has melted and the sauce is bubbling again. Add the chicken and cooked pasta and stir until combined.
- Melt the rest of the cheese on top. Remove from the heat and top with the other half of the shredded cheese. Place a lid on your pot and let it sit for about 10 minutes, or until the cheese on top is melted.
- Serve. Garnish with a few splashes of hot sauce, blue cheese crumbles, and fresh parsley if desired. Enjoy!
Recipe Variations for Buffalo Chicken Pasta
If you love buffalo pasta, give any one of these recipe variations a try:
- Vegetarian Buffalo Chicken Pasta: Vegetarians can still enjoy the bold flavors of buffalo chicken pasta by substituting the chicken with plant-based alternatives like tofu or tempeh. Add extra veggies like zucchini or mushrooms for a satisfying meatless meal.
- Spicy Buffalo Chicken Pasta: If you're a fan of heat, kick up the spice level in your Buffalo Chicken Pasta by adding extra hot sauce or chili flakes.
- Extra Creamy Buffalo Chicken Pasta: For a creamy and indulgent twist, blend together some additional cream cheese or Alfredo sauce with the buffalo sauce before tossing it with the chicken and pasta. The result is a silky and rich dish that will satisfy your comfort food cravings.
- Grilled Buffalo Chicken Pasta: Fire up the grill and add a smoky element to your buffalo pasta. Marinate chicken breasts in buffalo sauce, then grill them to perfection before slicing and tossing with your favorite pasta shape.
- Low-Carb Buffalo Chicken Pasta: If you're watching your carb intake, try using spiralized zucchini or spaghetti squash as a substitute for pasta. Pair it with buffalo chicken and a light sauce for a low-carb version of this popular dish.
- Gluten-Free Buffalo Chicken Pasta: Enjoy the flavors of buffalo chicken pasta even if you have gluten sensitivities by using gluten-free pasta and ensuring that all other ingredients are gluten-free as well.
Frequently Asked Questions
Buffalo sauce is traditionally made from hot sauce and butter, as well as other seasonings like Worcestershire sauce. In this recipe, we’ve replaced butter with cream cheese and mozzarella cheese.
If you want more of a mild buffalo sauce flavor, you can substitute any kind of buffalo sauce instead of using Frank’s Red Hot Sauce.
Yes! You can make this entire recipe the night before, holding off on adding the second half of the cheese. The next day, pull from the fridge and preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Transfer the mixture to a baking dish, top with the rest of the cheese, and heat for about 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Storing and Reheating
- Refrigerator: store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- To reheat: reheat leftovers in the microwave, or reheat in a double boiler over the stovetop.
Buffalo Chicken Pasta Recipe
- 16 ounces Pasta penne, cavatappi, or your favorite pasta
- 1 pound Chicken Breast cut into ¾" pieces
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Pepper
- 2 cups Chicken Broth
- 8 ounces Cream Cheese cut into ½" pieces
- ½ cup Frank's Red Hot Sauce
- ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 2½ cups Mozzarella Cheese shredded (reserve half for sprinkling over the top)
- ¼ cup Blue Cheese Crumbles
- 2 Tablespoons Frank's Red Hot Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Parsley chopped
- Cook pasta to al dente, according to package instructions.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat a large saucepan over medium heat and add the diced chicken breast. Season with salt and pepper, then cook while stirring until the chicken is no longer pink. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, add the chicken broth, cream cheese, hot sauce, and garlic powder. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and continue to cook until the cream cheese is melted and smooth, whisking as needed.
- Add half of the shredded cheese and stir until the cheese has melted and the sauce is bubbling again. Add the chicken and cooked pasta and stir until combined.
- Remove from the heat and top with the other half of the shredded cheese. Place a lid on your pot and let it sit for about 10 minutes, or until the cheese on top is melted.
- Garnish with a few splashes of hot sauce, blue cheese crumbles, and fresh parsley if desired. Enjoy!
More Quick and Easy Pasta Recipes
- Sausage and Pepper Pasta
- Creamy Pesto Pasta Salad
- Chicken Alfredo Pasta
- Meatball Pasta Bake
- Ground Beef Pasta Bake
- Homemade Lasagna
- Easy Crockpot Lasagna with Ravioli
- The Best Marinara Sauce
- More Budget-Friendly Meal Ideas
- More Pasta Recipes
- More Main Dish Recipes
If you’ve tried this recipe, please rate it and leave a comment on this post. I love hearing feedback from you. It helps me and other readers too! If you love Pinterest, feel free to leave a comment and photo there too. Also, if you like to share, use the hashtag #thecarefreekitchen on Instagram and tag me @thecarefreekitchen so I can find you and give your post some love. You can also find me on Facebook at The Carefree Kitchen. Thank you!!
This creamy Buffalo Chicken Alfredo Pasta is a quick and easy meal that absolutely everyone loves. It's full of juicy bites of chicken, your favorite cooked pasta, and a creamy buffalo sauce made with cream cheese.