These Spicy Roasted Sweet Potatoes are a great side dish to serve with just about any protein. They're coated with a sweet and spicy mix of chili powder, paprika, onion powder, maple syrup, and coconut oil, then oven roasted until tender.
Oven Roasted Spicy Sweet Potatoes
If you are looking for a sweet potato side dish that's a bit different, you have to try these Sweet and Spicy Roasted Sweet Potatoes. They have a slight sweet flavoring from a splash of maple syrup and are seasoned with chili powder, paprika, onion powder and a hint of lime.
Just like any other roasted potato recipe, the roasted sweet potato chunks only take a few minutes to prepare. I love to make them with a simple grilled or baked protein. They're also a great addition to your Thanksgiving dinner menu.
Roasted Spiced Sweet Potatoes Ingredients
- Sweet Potatoes - try and choose sweet potatoes that are firm and free of blemishes. You can make this recipe with or without the skin, just be sure to wash them before using.
- Coconut Oil - I like the flavor of coconut oil, but you could substitute avocado oil or olive oil.
- Maple Syrup - this adds a touch of sweetness that tastes so amazing with the spicy potatoes. Real maple syrup has the best flavor and is free of corn syrup and extra sugars and water.
- Chili Powder - you can use as little or as much as you like.
- Paprika - I usually use regular paprika for this recipe but feel free to try smoked paprika if you'd like.
- Onion Powder - this has a more mellow and sweet onion flavor.
- Lime - once the potatoes are cooked I like to finish with a squeeze of fresh lime juice.
- Salt and Pepper
How to Make Spicy Baked Sweet Potato Cubes
- Prep the potatoes. Wash, peel, and cut sweet potatoes into ¾" pieces.
- Season. In a small bowl, combine the oil, maple syrup, chili powder, paprika, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Stir well, then add to a freezer bag along with the diced sweet potatoes. Seal and toss to coat.
- Bake. Remove the seasoned potatoes and place onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet in a single layer. Roast sweet potato chunks in oven for about 45 minutes, turning the potatoes about halfway through the cooking time.
- Serve. Once they are fork tender, remove from the oven and squeeze with fresh lime juice. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!
Recipe Variations for Spiced Roasted Sweet Potatoes
You can adapt this recipe to create all sorts of flavor profiles. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Chipotle Lime Roasted Sweet Potatoes: Toss sweet potato cubes with chipotle powder, cumin, and lime zest before roasting. Drizzle with fresh lime juice just before serving.
- Harissa Roasted Sweet Potatoes: Coat sweet potatoes in harissa paste, olive oil, and a pinch of cumin. Garnish with chopped fresh cilantro or mint for a North African-inspired flavor.
- Sriracha Honey Roasted Sweet Potatoes: Mix sriracha sauce, honey, and a bit of soy sauce for a sweet and spicy glaze.
- Curry Roasted Sweet Potatoes: Toss sweet potatoes with curry powder, turmeric, and a pinch of cayenne for heat. Serve with a dollop of Greek yogurt and chopped cilantro.
- Cajun Roasted Sweet Potatoes: Coat sweet potatoes in a Cajun spice blend with paprika, cayenne, and thyme. Add sliced red bell peppers and red onions for a colorful, spicy mix.
- Garlic Parmesan Spiced Sweet Potatoes: Toss sweet potatoes with minced garlic, Parmesan cheese, and smoked paprika. Roast until crispy and top with additional grated Parmesan before serving.
- Jerk Seasoning Roasted Sweet Potatoes: Rub sweet potato wedges with Jamaican jerk seasoning for a bold and spicy flavor. Serve with a side of pineapple salsa for a tropical twist.
- Chili-Lime Roasted Sweet Potatoes: Season sweet potatoes with chili powder, cumin, and a squeeze of fresh lime. Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve with a lime wedge.
- Garam Masala Roasted Sweet Potatoes: Toss sweet potatoes with garam masala, coriander, and a pinch of cayenne. Top with chopped fresh mint or cilantro before serving.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you're wondering how to cook roasted cubed sweet potatoes in the oven, it takes about 45 minutes to make oven roasted sweet potatoes. Easy oven roasted sweet potatoes are amazing when they are just a little crispy on the outside and sweet and tender on the inside. I love the little bit of crunchy and chewy edges!
Soaking the sweet potatoes in a bowl of cold water while you are cutting up the rest will help remove some of the starch and also keep your sweet potatoes from browning before you have everything ready. Just simply drain the water from your potatoes before tossing in oil and seasoning.
Storing and Reheating
- Refrigerator: store any leftover roasted sweet potato chunks in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- How to Reheat: you can reheat in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 10 minutes, or until warm. If you happen to have an air fryer, you can also toss them into that for a few minutes.
Spicy Roasted Sweet Potatoes Recipe
- 3 pounds Sweet Potatoes peeled and cut into ¾" pieces
- 1 Tablespoon Coconut Oil or avocado oil
- 1 Tablespoon Maple Syrup
- 1-2 teaspoon Chili Powder
- ½ teaspoon Paprika
- ½ tsp Onion Powder
- 1 large Lime
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Wash, peel, and cut sweet potatoes into ¾" pieces.
- In a small bowl, combine the oil, maple syrup, chili powder, paprika, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Stir well, then add to a freezer bag along with the diced sweet potatoes. Seal and toss to coat.
- Remove the seasoned potatoes and place onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet in a single layer.
- Bake in your preheated oven for about 45 minutes, turning the potatoes about halfway through the cooking time.
- Once they are fork tender, remove from the oven and squeeze with fresh lime juice. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!
More Easy Potato Side Dish Recipes
- Ranch Roasted Potatoes
- Oven Roasted Red Skin Potatoes
- Grilled Russet Potatoes
- Parmesan Roasted Red Potatoes
- Herb Roasted Potatoes
- Best Steakhouse Baked Potatoes
- Loaded Baked Potato Skins
- More Best Potato Side Dishes
- More Easy Side Dish Recipes
Chili-spiced sweet potato chunks are one of those sweet potato recipes you need to have on hand. It's a healthy oven-roasted sweet potato recipe, a perfect side dish to serve with just about any protein.