This recipe for garlic and lemon Oven-Roasted Asparagus is the perfectly simple way to let this veggie shine. We’ll show you how to get tender stalks, crispy tips and so much flavor with very few ingredients all while roasting your asparagus in the oven.
Perfect Oven-Roasted Asparagus
Move over mushy asparagus - this recipe for how to cook Asparagus in the oven will give you all the instructions you need to make perfectly tender and crisp asparagus every single time. Seasoned just right with a sprinkle of salt, pepper, garlic, Parmesan and a squeeze of fresh lemon, this side dish works with absolutely anything.
The key with asparagus is to trim it properly, roast it in a hot oven and make sure not to overcook. We’ve provided a few more tips below to help you prepare asparagus like a pro. From there, serve as is, with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar or topped with extra shaved Parmesan cheese for a perfect side dish all year round.
If you're looking for more asparagus recipes in the oven, be sure to try this Bacon Wrapped Asparagus, and Bacon and Asparagus Quiche.
Ingredients in Oven-Roasted Asparagus Recipe
- Asparagus - try and find asparagus that are firm, bright green and on the thinner side.
- Olive Oil - you can also substitute avocado oil for this recipe.
- Garlic - use either fresh garlic cloves or minced garlic for this recipe.
- Salt and Pepper
- Parmesan Cheese - this is optional, but we love the little boost in flavor that it gives. You can also top the finished bundles with a little extra grated Parmesan if you’d like.
- Lemon Juice - fresh lemon juice tastes best.
How to Cook Asparagus in the Oven
- Prep the asparagus. Wash and trim the stem ends of the asparagus, then place in a 9”x13” baking dish.
- Add oil and seasoning. Add the olive oil, garlic, salt, ground black pepper and Parmesan cheese. Use kitchen thongs to toss until you have completely coated the asparagus with olive oil and seasoning.
- Bake. Bake asparagus in a preheated oven until tender, about 12-15 minutes. Adjust how long to bake asparagus depending on how thick your stalks are.
- Serve. Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes before squeezing on the fresh lemon juice just before serving. Enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
Mushy asparagus is a result of overcooking and crowding the pan. Make sure you crank the temperature so your oven is super hot and the asparagus won’t need to be in there for long. Also, keep in mind that thinner asparagus won’t need to cook as long as thicker asparagus.
Crowding the pan will also yield mushy asparagus because it will start to steam them rather than roast. Be sure and give the stalks enough space, using multiple pans if necessary.
Yes - before cooking, rinse your asparagus spears then trim off about 1-2” from each end. This part is woody and inedible so you must remove it before cooking.
We like to bake asparagus at a high temperature (420 degrees) so that it cooks quickly but still stays slightly firm. Depending on how thick the spears are, how much you cook at a time, and whether you open the oven door to check, it should take between 12-15 minutes for your asparagus to cook.
You are looking for the stalks to become tender and the tips to begin to get a little crispy for this roasted asparagus recipe.
Storing and Reheating
Oven Bake Asparagus is definitely best eaten straight from the oven, however in case of leftovers:
- Refrigerator: transfer cooked asparagus to an airtight container and store for up to 3 days in the fridge.
- To Reheat: gently reheat either in the microwave or in a saute pan over medium heat with a splash of water.
Oven-Roasted Asparagus Recipe
- 2 bundles Asparagus Spears washed and trimmed
- 3 tablespoons Olive Oil or avocado oil
- 1 clove Garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan Cheese grated; optional
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice for serving
- Preheat oven to 420 degrees F.
- Wash and trim the stem ends of the asparagus, then place in a 9”x13” baking dish.
- Add the olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper and Parmesan cheese. Use kitchen thongs to toss the asparagus so that it is evenly covered with seasonings and oil. Arrange the asparagus in the baking dish in a single layer.
- Bake in a preheated oven until tender, about 12-15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes before squeezing on the fresh lemon juice just before serving. Enjoy!
Here are more of our favorite vegetable side dish recipes:
- Oven Roasted Green Beans
- Creamy Brussels Sprouts with Bacon
- Roasted Parmesan Zucchini
- Chili Spiced Sweet Potato
- Mashed Root Vegetables
- Homemade Creamed Corn
- More Side Dishes
- More Veggie Recipes
If you’ve tried this recipe, please rate it and leave a comment on this post. I love hearing feedback from you helps me and other readers too! If you love Pinterest, feel free to leave a comment and photo there too. Also, if you like to share, use the hashtag #thecarefreekitchen on Instagram and tag me @thecarefreekitchen so I can find you and give your post some love. You can also find me on Facebook at The Carefree Kitchen. Thank you!!
This recipe for Oven-Roasted Asparagus will give you all the instructions you need to make perfectly tender and crisp asparagus every single time. It's a quick and easy side dish that goes with virtually everything.
Leave a Reply