These Parmesan Roasted Tomatoes combine a crisp panko Parmesan crust with juicy, flavorful roasted tomatoes. They’re the perfect simple side dish to serve with chicken, fish, pasta, and more.
Panko and Parmesan Roasted Tomatoes
These mouthwatering Panko and Parmesan Roasted Tomatoes are one of the easiest and most satisfying veggie side dishes. They couldn’t be easier to prepare - just slice in half, mix up a simple panko topping, and roast until the tomatoes are juicy and the crust is a lovely golden brown.
Since tomatoes are the star of the show, make sure and use the best ones you can find. I love using fresh garden tomatoes when I can, but otherwise try and find ripe beefsteak or heirloom varieties at the grocery store.
Another great way to make this recipe and get more servings out of each is to use tomato slices instead, still topping with the same amount of panko and Parmesan mixture.
Ingredients in Parmesan Roasted Tomatoes
- Tomatoes - you want to use large, ripe tomatoes for this recipe. Since they are the star of the show, fresh garden tomatoes are best. But any large beefsteak or heirloom tomatoes will work great. Try and find firm, ripe tomatoes that are roughly the same size.
- Salt and Pepper - this is for seasoning the tomatoes before adding the topping.
- Parmesan Cheese - grated Parmesan is best but shredded can also be used. No matter what, try and use quality Parmesan cheese rather than the stuff from a can.
- Panko Bread Crumbs - Panko bread crumbs stay super crisp which is ideal for topping something as juicy as tomatoes. You could substitute crackers if desired.
- Italian Seasoning - this is an easy way to add a lot of flavor. You could also use dried oregano.
- Salt - sea salt works great.
- Olive Oil - either olive oil or melted butter will work.
How to Make Parmesan Roasted Tomatoes
- Prepare tomatoes. Wash tomatoes then slice in half. Place into a baking dish or baking sheet cut side up and season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Mix the panko and Parmesan topping. In a small bowl, combine the panko bread crumbs, grated Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, and a pinch of salt. Combine until mixed.
- Top the tomatoes. Place a heaping tablespoon of the bread crumb mixture onto the top of each tomato. Pat with the back of a spoon to cover the tomatoes evenly.
- Bake. Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 15-20, or until the tomatoes are cooked and the topping is lightly golden brown.
- Serve. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly, then serve warm with fresh basil if desired. Enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
If you are roasting large tomatoes at 400 degrees, you can expect for them to take anywhere between 15-20 minutes to finish. You’ll know they are done when the tomatoes are softened slightly and the tops are golden brown.
While we do recommend serving Parmesan Roasted Tomatoes fresh out of the oven, they can be stored for up to 3 days in the fridge and reheated in a 375 degree oven. If you wanted to prep anything ahead of time, you could make the panko topping and store it in an airtight container in the fridge overnight.
The absolute best tomatoes to use for Baked Parmesan Tomatoes are fresh garden tomatoes. They have the best flavor by far. If you don’t have any, or it isn’t tomato season, look for large, firm, ripe tomatoes such as beefsteak or heirloom varieties.
Storing and Reheating
- Refrigerator: store leftover baked tomatoes in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- To reheat: you can reheat in a microwave, or in a preheated 375 degree oven for about 5-10 minutes.
Parmesan Roasted Tomatoes
- 4 large Tomatoes ripe
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Pepper
Panko and Parmesan Crust
- ½ cup Parmesan Cheese grated
- ½ cup Panko Bread Crumbs
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1 pinch Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Wash tomatoes then slice in half. Place into a baking dish cut side up and season lightly with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, combine the panko bread crumbs, grated Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, and a pinch of salt. Combine until mixed.
- Top each tomato with a heaping tablespoon of the bread crumb mixture, then pat with the back of a spoon to cover the tomatoes evenly.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 15-20, or until the tomatoes are cooked and the topping is lightly golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly, then serve warm. Enjoy!
More Of the Best Veggie Side Dish Recipes
- Chili Spiced Sweet Potato Chunks
- Zucchini Fries
- Cinnamon Roasted Squash
- Roasted Acorn Squash Soup
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Sweet Potatoes
- Easy Oven-Roasted Asparagus
- Oven-Roasted Broccoli with Garlic and Lemon
- More Tomato Recipes
- More Easy Side Dishes
If you’ve tried this recipe, please rate it and leave a comment on this post. I love hearing feedback from you. It helps me and other readers too! If you love Pinterest, feel free to leave a comment and photo there too. Also, if you like to share, use the hashtag #thecarefreekitchen on Instagram and tag me @thecarefreekitchen so I can find you and give your post some love. You can also find me on Facebook at The Carefree Kitchen. Thank you!!
These Panko and Parmesan Roasted Tomatoes are flavorful, crisp, juicy, and make the perfect side dish. It is one of those simple recipes that you will find yourself making over and over.