This easy Pumpkin Bundt Cake recipe makes the most tender, moist cake that’s as beautiful as it is delicious. Full of pumpkin flavor and topped with a velvety smooth cream cheese glaze, it’s the perfect fall dessert.
Pumpkin Bundt Cake Recipe
This Pumpkin Bundt Cake is one of my very favorite fall-inspired desserts to serve for Thanksgiving. It has so much going for it, besides being absolutely delicious. Not only is this cake incredibly easy to make, it’s also absolutely stunning and can be whipped up in no time.
I like to top this Pumpkin Bundt Cake recipe with a simple glaze that is basically cream cheese frosting thinned down with a touch of milk. It adds to the elegance of the cake and tastes absolutely amazing. If you want to go a step further, try our recipe for Pumpkin Bundt Cake with Cheesecake Swirl.
Pumpkin Pound Cake Recipe Ingredients
- Flour - this recipe calls for all-purpose flour.
- Baking Powder and Baking Soda - these both help the cake to rise in the oven and keep it super soft and tender.
- Pumpkin Pie Spice - this adds loads of seasonally delicious flavor. You could substitute cinnamon and nutmeg if you don’t have it available.
- Salt - sea salt works great.
- Pumpkin Puree - make sure you buy plain pumpkin puree and not pumpkin pie filling, which has added sugars and spices. You could also use your own Homemade Pumpkin Puree if you want.
- Sour Cream - this adds flavor and keeps the cake super moist.
- Butter - this needs to be melted before adding.
- Sugar - you’ll need white granulated sugar for the cake.
- Eggs - any kind of large eggs will work great.
- Vanilla Extract - pure vanilla extract tastes best.
Cream Cheese Glaze
- Powdered Sugar - powdered confectioners sugar adds sweetness without any grit.
- Milk - whole milk is best, but you could substitute 2%.
- Cream Cheese - again, this needs to be at room temperature.
- Butter - your butter for the glaze also needs to be softened either at room temperature or in the microwave.
How to Make this Pumpkin Pound Cake Recipe
- Mix the bundt cake batter. In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice, and salt. In a separate large bowl, whisk together the pumpkin puree, sour cream, melted butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract. Add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture, then stir until combined and pour into a greased and floured 10-11 cup bundt pan.
- Bake. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 35-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Invert the cake. Remove the cake from the oven and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes in the pan on top of a wire rack. Then, to remove the cake from the bundt pan, put a plate or serving dish on the top of the bundt cake pan and flip the cake onto the serving plate.
- Make the cream cheese glaze. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together the room temperature butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy. Add half of the powdered sugar and the milk, beat again until smooth, then add the remaining powdered sugar and continue to beat until smooth.
- Glaze the cake. Drizzle the glaze over the cooled cake and let the glaze set up before slicing.
Frequently Asked Questions
This recipe will fit best in a 10 cup bundt cake pan. If you want to bake it in a 10-inch bundt pan (12 cups), you can - just expect a cake that is slightly less tall. The baking time may also be slightly shorter, so keep an eye on it. You could also bake this recipe in mini bundt cake molds, once again keeping an eye on the baking time.
The easiest way to find out whether or not your bundt cake has finished baking is to insert a toothpick into the center. If it comes out clean, or even with just a few small crumbs, your bake is finished. The sides of the cake should also be slightly golden brown and starting to pull away from the pan.
For this Pumpkin Bundt Cake recipe, be sure and use pure pumpkin puree that has no other ingredients added to it. You can either use the canned stuff, or make your own Homemade Pumpkin Puree. Avoid pumpkin pie filling which is usually sold right next to pumpkin puree. It has additional ingredients like sugar and spices.
Storing and Freezing
- Refrigerator: wrap leftovers in aluminum foil and store in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Freezer: Pumpkin Bundt Cake can be wrapped well with plastic wrap and then aluminum foil, then stored for up to 1 month in the freezer. To thaw, transfer to the fridge overnight. Note that it is easier to freeze and thaw bundt cake that has not yet been glazed.
Pumpkin Bundt Cake Recipe
- 2½ cups All-Purpose Flour
- ¾ teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 Tablespoon Pumpkin Pie Spice
- ¾ teaspoon Salt
- 1 15-ounce can Pumpkin Puree
- ½ cup Sour Cream
- ¼ cup Butter melted
- 1½ cups Sugar
- 3 large Eggs
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
Cream Cheese Glaze
- 2 cups Powdered Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Milk
- 4 ounces Cream Cheese room temperature
- 2 Tablespoons Butter room temperature
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour a large, 10-12 cup bundt cake pan and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice, and salt. In a separate large bowl, whisk together the pumpkin puree, sour cream, melted butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract.
- Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture, then stir until combined and pour into the prepared bundt pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 35-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes. Then, to remove the cake from the bundt pan, put a plate or serving dish on the top of the bundt cake pan and flip the cake onto the serving plate.
Cream Cheese Glaze for Bundt Cakes
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together the room temperature butter and cream cheese using the paddle attachment until light and fluffy. Add half of the powdered sugar and the milk, beat again until smooth, then add the remaining powdered sugar and continue to beat until smooth.
- Drizzle the glaze over the cooled cake and let it set up before slicing. Serve with whipped cream, if desired. Enjoy!
More of The Best Cake Recipes
- Funfetti Bundt Cake
- Coconut Pound Cake
- Amazing Carrot Cake
- Gingerbread Cake
- Lemon Blueberry Bundt Cake
- Old-Fashioned Pineapple Cake
- Lime Bundt Cake
- Pumpkin Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Lemon Blueberry Bread
- More Pumpkin Recipes
- More Thanksgiving Recipes
If you’ve tried this recipe, please rate it and leave a comment on this post. I love hearing feedback from you. It helps me and other readers too! If you love Pinterest, feel free to leave a comment and photo there too. Also, if you like to share, use the hashtag #thecarefreekitchen on Instagram and tag me @thecarefreekitchen so I can find you and give your post some love. You can also find me on Facebook at The Carefree Kitchen. Thank you!!
This Pumpkin Bundt Cake recipe is quick and easy, full of pumpkin flavor, and always a favorite. Topped with a cream cheese glaze, it's as pretty as it is delicious.