This Cheesy Potato Casserole Recipe is total comfort food. Cheesy potatoes are also made from frozen shredded cheese and sour cream. It's loaded with ooey gooey cheesy goodness and is one of the best nostalgic cheesy potato recipes. This recipe for Cheesy Potato Casserole is perfect for a family dinner or holiday dinner idea.
To make this cheesy potato casserole, you simply mix a few ingredients, spread it in a baking dish, and smother it with cheese. It really is that easy.
Cheesy Potato Casserole Video Tutorial
If you enjoyed watching this video on How To Make Cheesy Potatoes Recipe, be sure to subscribe to our Youtube Channel (Be sure to tap the "Bell" too so you can be the first to know when we post a new video)
This cheesy potato casserole recipe is the perfect addition to your holiday meal. We love making this around Easter time, it goes perfectly with your Spiral Ham. We also love having this as part of our traditional Christmas dinner and it works great as a side for Smoked Turkey, Roast, or really any main dish your family loves.
Serve with These Holiday Side Dishes
- Classic Holiday Stuffing
- Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes
- Bacon Wrapped Asparagus
- Glazed Carrots
- More Holiday Recipes
What to Make with Cheesy Potato Casserole
Ingredients in Cheese Potato Casserole
- Butter: You will use this to saute your diced onions until they are soft, tender, and just barely golden brown.
- Onion: white or yellow onions work great. Caramelizing the onion makes all the difference. It's worth the little bit of extra time to caramelize the onions. You can also use onion powder in a pinch, a couple of teaspoons will do but it's not quite the same.
- Shredded Potatoes: You can use the frozen hash brown in the supermarket's freezer section. If you prefer to use real potatoes, you can certainly make this a cheesy potato casserole with real potatoes. Just shred the potatoes before adding them and allow 15 minutes of extra cooking time.
- Cream of Mushroom Soup: any brand will do. (You can also use cream of chicken soup in a pinch)
- Sour Cream: Full fat or low fat; either will work.
- Shredded Cheese: Any blend of shredded cheddar cheese.
- Chicken Broth: Any kind or brand will do. You can also sub for vegetable broth if you want to keep vegetarian ingredients.
- Garlic Salt: or equal parts garlic powder and salt.
How to Make Cheesy Hashbrown Potato Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Spray the inside of a 9 by 13" baking dish with non-stick cooking spray
- Chop the medium onion into ⅓" pieces. Add the onion to a skillet with ¼ cup melted butter. Saute on medium heat while stirring until the onion is a light caramel color. (about 5 minutes)
- In a large bowl, add the shredded potatoes, cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, 1 ½ cup cheese, onions, garlic salt, and chicken broth. Stir until well mixed to assemble the casserole.
- Spread the potato mixture in a 9 by 13" prepared baking dish and sprinkle the remaining cheese (½ cup) on top. (you can also add some crushed cornflakes for a crunchy topping if desired, but the cheesy topping is amazing)
- Bake in a 350-degree oven for 30-40 minutes or until the edges are bubbly and lightly golden brown. Remove from the oven, and enjoy!
Tips for Making Potato Casserole
- You can make this ahead of time. 24 hours in the fridge works great. Just make as directed but don't bake it. Store it covered in plastic wrap in a casserole dish until ready to bake.
- If making it ahead, let the casserole dish sit at room temperature after taking it out of the fridge before inserting it into a hot oven.
- You can use frozen shredded hashbrowns or cut whole potatoes into ½" chunks, boil until tender, and use them in this cheesy potatoes casserole. Both methods work great.
- Cheddar cheese is classic but plays around with different varieties of cheese. It's delicious with aged white cheddar, milk, Gruyere, or sharp cheddar cheese. My favorite kind is a fiesta cheese blend!
- This also makes an amazing freezer meal idea. It tastes just as good after being frozen. Just put the potato casserole in the oven frozen and bake for an extra 30-45 minutes.
- I used whole-fat sour cream in this recipe, but you can lighten it by using lite sour cream.
Cheesy Potato Casserole
- 3 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 medium Onion yellow onion; diced into ½" pieces
- 1 20 oz bag Shredded Potatoes frozen
- 1 10 oz can Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 cup Sour Cream full fat or lite
- 2 cups Shredded Cheese (Save ½ cup to sprinkle on the top before baking)
- 2 teaspoon Garlic Salt
- 1 cup Chicken Broth
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray the inside of a 9" x 13" baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a skillet over medium heat, add the butter. Once melted, add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, until the onion lightly caramelizes - about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the shredded potatoes, cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, 1 ½ cup shredded cheese, the cooked onions, garlic salt, and chicken broth. Stir until well mixed.
- Spread the potato mixture into your prepared 9"x13" baking dish and sprinkle the remaining ½ cup cheese evenly over the top.
- Put in the oven and bake, uncovered, for 30-40 minutes or until the edges are bubbly and lightly golden brown. Remove from the oven, enjoy!
More Potato Recipes
- Loaded Baked Potato Skins Recipe
- Smashed Potatoes
- Cheesy Breakfast Hash Browns
- Fingerling Potatoes
- Oven Roasted Potatoes
- Best Baked Potatoes
- Slow Cooker Cheesy Potatoes
- More Potato Recipes
- Holiday Side Dishes
If you’ve tried this recipe, please rate it and leave a comment on this post. I love hearing feedback from you helps me and other readers too! If you love Pinterest, feel free to leave a comment and photo there too. Also, if you like to share, use the hashtag #thecarefreekitchen on Instagram and tag me @thecarefreekitchen so I can find you and give your post some love. You can also find me on Facebook at The Carefree Kitchen. Thank you!!
Save this for later!!
This potato casserole, or known as funeral potatoes in some areas, is total comfort food. It's a cheesy potato casserole made from shredded potatoes, cheese, and sour cream. It's loaded with flavor and one of the best potato casserole recipes.