These Puff Pastry Cheese Twists make the perfect appetizer or snack for any occasion because they couldn’t be easier and everyone loves them. Each crispy straw is topped with cheddar, Parmesan and a touch of garlic salt, and are absolutely guaranteed to disappear as soon as you put them onto the table.
Easy Puff Pastry Cheese Twists
Anytime I’m in need of a simple appetizer for a party, this Cheese Twists made with store bought puff pastry is the first to come to mind. They take just a few minutes to prepare and are the ultimate crowd-pleaser. Who doesn’t love crispy, buttery puff pastry straws covered in cheese and garlic salt?
Serve them on their own in cute little jars, add to a cheese plate, or serve with a selection of dipping sauces. You can of course feel free to mix and match any of the cheeses or seasonings, adding dried herbs and your favorite spices to make your own delicious variations.
Cheese Twists Ingredients
- Puff Pastry - I recommend buying an all-butter puff pastry if you can. It’s best to thaw your puff pastry overnight in the fridge so that it doesn’t crack. Feel free to cut the straws to whatever size you like.
- Butter - your butter should be either melted or incredibly soft so that you can spread it in a super thin layer over each sheet of puff pastry.
- Garlic Salt - if you don’t have garlic salt you can substitute half salt and half garlic powder.
- Shredded Cheese - I love using shredded white cheddar cheese or sharp cheddar.
- Parmesan Cheese - this adds a delicious salty cheese flavor to the buttery puff pastry. You could substitute Gruyere, or even use half and half.
- Egg Wash - you’ll need one egg and 2 tablespoons of water to make an egg wash. It helps them stay nice and shiny.
How to Make Cheese Twists with Puff Pastry
- Roll out the puff pastry. Unfold 2 thawed sheets of puff pastry onto a lightly floured surface. Use a rolling pin to even out the creases and gently roll out the puff pastry.
- Spread butter and add toppings. Pour half of the butter onto each of the puff pastry sheets and spread evenly using an offset spatula or a pastry brush. Sprinkle half of the garlic salt, half of the cheddar cheese, and half of the Parmesan cheese onto each puff pastry sheet.
- Cut into strips. Use a pizza cutter or a sharp knife to cut into ¾" wide strips. (To make shorter straws, cut the strips in half widthwise)
- Twist. Twist each puff pastry strip and place onto a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Egg wash. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and water. Use a pastry brush to egg wash the puff pastry.
- Bake. Bake in a preheated oven for 10-12 minutes, or until puffed and lightly browned.
- Serve. Remove from the oven and serve warm or transfer to wire racks to cool to room temperature. Allow to cool completely before storing in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days. Enjoy!
Recipe Variations for Cheese Straws
If you want to get fancy, here are a few easy variations that you can make with your Cheese Straws.
- Parmesan and Herb Twists: Sprinkle puff pastry with a blend of Parmesan cheese, dried oregano, and garlic powder before twisting.
- Jalapeño Cheddar Swirls: Infuse some heat into your twists by adding finely chopped jalapeños and sharp cheddar cheese for a spicy and savory kick.
- Everything Bagel Cheese Twists: Coat the puff pastry with an "everything bagel" seasoning mix, incorporating sesame seeds, poppy seeds, garlic flakes, onion flakes, and of course, shredded cheese.
- Bacon and Gruyère Pinwheels: Enhance the flavor with crispy bacon bits and the nutty taste of Gruyère cheese, creating a delightful combination of smokiness and creaminess.
- Pesto and Mozzarella Twirls: Spread a layer of basil pesto on the puff pastry, top with shredded mozzarella, and twist for a Mediterranean-inspired cheesy delight.
Frequently Asked Questions
The best way to thaw frozen puff pastry is to pull it into the fridge the night before you plan to make this recipe. This slower thaw helps prevent the sheets from cracking.
If your leftover Cheese Twists aren’t quite as crispy as they were when they were fresh, you can pop them into a 350 degree oven for a few minutes to bring them back to life. Also, make sure that you wait until they are completely cooled before trying to store them. The moisture released from the warm steam can get trapped inside an airtight container and cause them to become soggy.
If you want to start prepping your Cheese Twists ahead of time, you can do everything besides bake, then lightly cover with plastic wrap and store in the fridge overnight. The next day, just pop into a preheated oven and bake.
I don’t recommend freezing baked Cheese Twists. They become rather soggy in the freezer, and considering they are so quick and easy to make I find it’s best to just prepare them fresh each time.
You could freeze the unbaked twists if you wanted. My advice would be to place the baking sheets full of twists into the freezer for about 30 minutes - 1 hour until frozen, then transfer to airtight containers or freezer bags to store for up to 2 months. To bake, just place them back onto baking sheets and bake as directed.
- Room Temperature: store completely cooled Cheese Twists in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
- To refresh: if you want to refresh your leftover Cheese Twists, place them into a preheated 350 degree oven for a few minutes.
Puff Pastry Cheese Twists Recipe
- 2 sheets Puff Pastry thawed
- 2 Tablespoons Butter melted
- 2 teaspoons Garlic Salt
- 1 cup Shredded White Cheddar Cheese or sharp cheddar
- ⅓ cup Parmesan Cheese
- 1 large Egg for egg wash
- 2 Tablespoons Water for egg wash
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Unfold 2 thawed sheets of puff pastry onto a lightly floured surface. Use a rolling pin to even out the creases and gently roll out the puff pastry. Pour half of the butter onto each of the puff pastry sheets and spread evenly using an offset spatula or a pastry brush. Sprinkle half of the garlic salt, half of the cheddar cheese, and half of the Parmesan cheese onto each puff pastry sheet.
- Use a pizza cutter and cut into ¾" wide strips. (To make shorter straws, cut the strips in half widthwise)
- Twist each puff pastry strip and place onto a parchment lined baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and water. Use a pastry brush to egg wash the puff pastry.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 10-12 minutes, or until puffed and lightly golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and serve warm or at room temperature. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days. Enjoy!
More Cheesy Appetizers
- Spinach Dip Bread Ring
- Warm Spinach Dip
- Baked Cranberry Brie
- Jalapeno Artichoke Dip
- Ham and Cheddar Cheese Ball
- Bacon Ranch Cheese Ball
- Brie Bites
- Cheesy Bean Dip
- Pepper Jack Queso
- More Easy Appetizer Recipes
- More Game Day Snacks
These easy Cheese Twists recipe is super simple and always a hit. Topped with two kinds of cheese and a touch of garlic salt, they're the perfect party appetizer for any occasion.