This Slow Cooker Chicken and Gravy uses just 4 ingredients to turn plain chicken into a delicious, kid-friendly meal. The juicy shredded chicken smothered in a smooth cream cheese gravy tastes great served over rice, egg noodles, mashed potatoes, and more.
Easy Crockpot Chicken and Gravy
For those nights that call for easy comfort food, I highly recommend trying this Crockpot Chicken and Gravy over rice recipe. It’s a family favorite that fortunately couldn’t be easier to make. Using just 4 ingredients, this easy slow cooker recipe involves dumping your ingredients in and letting it cook while you go about the rest of your day.
The result is juicy shredded chicken drowning in creamy gravy that’s plain enough to be kid-friendly but delicious enough to be a comforting meal that everyone loves. I like to serve over a bed of egg noodles, white rice, brown rice, mashed potatoes, or even steamed veggies.
Ingredients in Slow Cooker Chicken with Gravy
- Chicken Breasts - I like to use boneless, skinless chicken breasts for this recipe, although it would also taste amazing with chicken thighs.
- Italian Dressing Mix - I usually use Good Season’s Italian Dressing mix. It comes in 0.7 oz packets and is a super easy way to add loads of flavor to a recipe. Another option would be to use a chicken gravy mix, or simply season with your favorite dried Italian herbs, garlic powder, and salt.
- Chicken Broth - you can use store bought or homemade chicken broth or chicken stock for this recipe. It helps to cook the chicken and keep it super juicy and flavorful.
- Cream Cheese - this adds creaminess and flavor to the gravy. Another option would be to use 1 can of cream of chicken soup with about ½ cup of sour cream.
How to Make Crockpot Chicken and Gravy
- Add the ingredients to the slow cooker. Place chicken breasts in the bottom of a slow cooker. Sprinkle the Italian dressing mix over the chicken, making sure to cover all sides, then pour in the chicken broth. Place the cream cheese on top.
- Cover and cook. Cover and cook chicken on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-7 hours.
- Shred the chicken. Once the chicken is cooked and easily shreddable, remove from the slow cooker and shred using two forks.
- Whisk together the gravy. Use a whisk to mix the cream cheese and chicken broth gravy until smooth, then place the shredded chicken back into the slow cooker and stir.
- Serve. Serve warm over rice, mashed potatoes, or steamed vegetables. Enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
If you want to use frozen chicken, it’s best to thaw ahead of time. For safety reasons, I don’t recommend adding frozen chicken straight into your crockpot. It takes too long for it to heat up to a safe temperature, leaving it in the temperature danger zone for longer than is recommended.
I love using boneless, skinless chicken breast because it’s easy and kid-friendly. Chicken thighs would also taste great, or you could even make this recipe with turkey.
Yup! This is a great freezer meal. Just make sure it has cooled completely before transferring into freezer bags or another airtight container. You can store frozen for up to 2 months before thawing and reheating.
Storing and Reheating
- Refrigerator: cool completely then transfer to an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Freezer: cool completely then transfer to freezer bags and store frozen for up to 2 months. To thaw, transfer to the fridge overnight.
- To reheat: you can reheat in the microwave, or add to a saucepan with a splash of water or chicken stock and reheat over medium low until warmed through.
Slow Cooker Chicken and Gravy Recipe
- 2 pounds Chicken Breast boneless skinless
- 1 0.7 oz package Good Seasons Italian Dressing Mix
- ½ cup Chicken Broth
- 8 ounces Cream Cheese
- Place chicken breasts in the bottom of a slow cooker. Sprinkle the Italian dressing mix over the chicken, making sure to cover all sides, then pour in the chicken broth. Place the cream cheese on top.
- Cover and cook chicken on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-7 hours.
- Once the chicken is cooked and easily shreddable, remove from the slow cooker and shred using two forks. Use a whisk to mix the cream cheese and chicken broth gravy until smooth, then place the shredded chicken back into the slow cooker and stir.
- Serve warm over rice, mashed potatoes, or steamed vegetables. Enjoy!
More Easy Slow Cooker Recipes
- Crock Pot Salsa Chicken
- Slow Cooker Spare Ribs
- Mississippi Chicken
- Crock Pot Rump Roast
- Tuscan Chicken
- Kalua Pork
- Pork Carnitas
- Pulled Pork
- Slow Cooker Baby Back Ribs
- Chicken Fajitas
- Crockpot Chicken Pot Pie
- More Cold Weather Recipes
- More Best Chicken Recipes
If you’ve tried this recipe, please rate it and leave a comment on this post. I love hearing feedback from you. It helps me and other readers too! If you love Pinterest, feel free to leave a comment and photo there too. Also, if you like to share, use the hashtag #thecarefreekitchen on Instagram and tag me @thecarefreekitchen so I can find you and give your post some love. You can also find me on Facebook at The Carefree Kitchen. Thank you!!
This Slow Cooker Chicken and Gravy is a kid-friendly comforting meal that uses just 4 ingredients. Serve over rice, noodles, mashed potatoes, and more for an easy slow cooker meal any night of the week.
Leave a Reply