This Creamy Tortellini and Sausage Soup recipe is hearty, delicious, and the perfect cozy meal for a cold night. The rich and creamy tomato broth is loaded with ground Italian sausage, tortellini pasta, and spinach, perfect for serving with a side of garlic bread.
Soup with Tortellini and Sausage
Cold, dark nights call for hearty soups like this Creamy Tortellini Soup with sausage. It’s made with a rich and creamy tomato broth that’s packed with cooked sausage, tortellini, and spinach.
Since it’s a complete meal in a bowl, there’s really nothing you need to serve alongside Creamy Tortellini and Sausage Soup besides maybe some garlic bread or dinner rolls. Feel free to substitute ground beef, or even eliminate the meat and use veggie broth to make this completely vegetarian.
Ingredients in Creamy Tortellini Soup with Spinach and Sausage
- Sausage - you can use either mild or hot ground sausage for this recipe. Ground beef or even ground turkey would work great, too.
- Water - you’ll need just about ⅓ cup of water to cook the sausage.
- Onion - either a white or yellow onion will work.
- Crushed Italian Tomatoes - I love the flavor of Marzano tomatoes, but really any Italian crushed tomatoes or tomato sauce will be flavorful in this soup.
- Chicken Broth - you can use chicken broth or chicken stock. If you want to make this soup vegetarian, you could also substitute vegetable broth and skip the sausage.
- Cream Cheese - you’ll need an 8 ounce block of cream cheese for this recipe. It’s what makes the soup creamy and delicious. Heavy cream would make a decent substitute.
- Salt - sea salt works great.
- Italian Seasoning - you can use Italian seasoning, or even just dried herbs like oregano and red pepper flakes.
- Tortellini - frozen tortellini is nice because you can always have some on hand. Fresh will work well, too. Just make sure to check the package directions to see their suggested cooking time.
- Spinach - fresh spinach tastes so much better in this soup than frozen. Kale would taste great, too.
How to Make Creamy Tortellini Pasta Soup
- Cook the sausage. Heat a large pot over medium high heat, then add the ground sausage with about ⅓ cup of water. Use a wooden spoon to break the meat up into small pieces and cook until no longer pink.
- Cook the onion. Drain the fat and place the sausage onto a paper towel-lined plate. Add the diced onion to the pot and cook over medium heat until translucent, stirring occasionally.
- Simmer the soup. One cooked, add the cooked sausage back to the pot along with the crushed tomatoes, chicken broth, cream cheese, salt, Italian seasonings, and salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and stir to help melt the cream cheese. Add the tortellini and the spinach, then simmer for 5 minutes or until the tortellini floats to the top and is tender.
- Serve. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly before serving. Enjoy!
Recipe Variations for Creamy Tortellini Soup
- Vegetarian: For a meat-free version, simply omit the sausage or replace it with your favorite vegetables. Try adding mushrooms, zucchini, or more spinach for extra flavor and nutrition.
- Spicy Kick: If you like things a bit spicy, add a dash of red pepper flakes or a few drops of hot sauce to your creamy tortellini soup.
- Three Cheese: If you can't get enough of cheese, try adding some grated Parmesan and shredded mozzarella in addition to the cream cheese.
- Extra Hearty: For an even heartier meal, consider adding additional ingredients like diced potatoes, corn kernels, or white beans.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yup! I find it’s best to freeze the soup without the tortellini added to it, so that you can add that while you reheat. It keeps the pasta from becoming mushy or falling apart. If you already added it and want to freeze it, it will still work. Just make sure to thaw in the fridge overnight rather than trying to thaw in a pot on the stove.
As long as it is stored in an airtight container in the fridge, this soup will last for up to 3 days.
You can use your favorite kind of Italian sausage - mild or hot will work great. You could also substitute ground beef, ground turkey, or even sliced sausage rather than ground.
Storing and Reheating
- Refrigerator: stored leftover Tortellini and Sausage Soup in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Freezer: make sure soup is completely cooled before transferring to an airtight container and storing frozen for up to 1 month. This soup reheats best if frozen without the tortellini, so they don’t become mushy or fall apart. To thaw, transfer to the fridge overnight.
- To reheat: you can reheat in a small pot on the stove or in the microwave until warmed through.
Creamy Sausage Tortellini Soup Recipe
- 1 pound Ground Sausage mild or hot
- ⅓ cup Water
- 1 medium Onion diced
- 1 28-oz can Crushed Italian Tomatoes Marzano work great
- 4 cups Chicken Broth
- 8 ounces Cream Cheese
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 19 ounces Frozen Tortellini or fresh
- 3 cups Fresh Spinach
- Heat a large pot over medium heat, then add the ground sausage with about ⅓ cup of water. Use a wooden spoon to break the meat up into small pieces and cook until no longer pink.
- Drain the fat and place the sausage onto a paper towel-lined plate. Add the diced onion to the pot and cook over medium heat until translucent, stirring occasionally.
- One cooked, add the cooked sausage back to the pot along with the crushed tomatoes, chicken broth, cream cheese, salt, Italian seasonings, and salt.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and stir to help melt the cream cheese. Add the tortellini and the spinach, then simmer for 4-5 minutes or until the tortellini floats to the top and is tender.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly before serving. Enjoy!
More Easy Soup Recipes to Try
- Vegetable Beef Soup
- Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup
- Quick Beef Chili
- Best Cauliflower Soup
- Taco Soup
- Homemade Beef Stew
- Loaded Baked Potato Soup
- Broccoli Potato Cheesy Soup
- Southwest Black Bean Soup
- Easy Chicken Noodle Soup
- Tomato Soup
- Stuffed Pepper Soup
- Creamy Chicken Taco Soup
- More Beef Recipes
- More Soup Recipes
This Creamy Tortellini and Sausage Soup is a hearty meal that's quick to make and perfect for a cozy night at home. It's loaded with sausage, tortellini, and spinach in a rich and creamy broth. Your family is going to love this recipe for tortellini soup and will be asking for it again and again. Tortellini cream soup is a winner everytime.