This Creamy Sausage Tortellini Soup is hearty, delicious, and the perfect cozy meal for a cold night. The rich and creamy tomato broth is loaded with ground Italian sausage, tortellini pasta, and spinach, perfect for serving with a side of garlic bread.
Creamy Sausage Tortellini Soup
Cold, dark nights call for hearty soups like this Creamy Tortellini Soup. It’s made with a rich and creamy tomato broth that’s packed with cooked sausage, tortellini, and spinach.
Since it’s a complete meal in a bowl, there’s really nothing you need to serve alongside Creamy Tortellini Soup besides maybe some garlic bread or dinner rolls. Feel free to substitute ground beef, or even eliminate the meat and use veggie broth to make this completely vegetarian.
Ingredients in Creamy Tortellini Soup with Spinach
- Sausage - you can use either mild or hot ground sausage for this recipe. Ground beef or even ground turkey would work great, too.
- Water - you’ll need just about ⅓ cup of water to cook the sausage.
- Onion - either a white or yellow onion will work.
- Crushed Italian Tomatoes - I love the flavor of Marzano tomatoes, but really any Italian crushed tomatoes or tomato sauce will be flavorful in this soup.
- Chicken Broth - you can use chicken broth or chicken stock. If you want to make this soup vegetarian, you could also substitute vegetable broth and skip the sausage.
- Cream Cheese - you’ll need an 8 ounce block of cream cheese for this recipe. It’s what makes the soup creamy and delicious. Heavy cream would make a decent substitute.
- Salt - sea salt works great.
- Italian Seasoning - you can use Italian seasoning, or even just dried herbs like oregano and red pepper flakes.
- Tortellini - frozen tortellini is nice because you can always have some on hand. Fresh will work well, too. Just make sure to check the package directions to see their suggested cooking time.
- Spinach - fresh spinach tastes so much better in this soup than frozen. Kale would taste great, too.
How to Make Sausage Tortellini Soup
- Cook the sausage. Heat a large pot over medium high heat, then add the ground sausage with about ⅓ cup of water. Use a wooden spoon to break the meat up into small pieces and cook until no longer pink.
- Cook the onion. Drain the fat and place the sausage onto a paper towel-lined plate. Add the diced onion to the pot and cook over medium heat until translucent, stirring occasionally.
- Simmer the soup. One cooked, add the cooked sausage back to the pot along with the crushed tomatoes, chicken broth, cream cheese, salt, Italian seasonings, and salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and stir to help melt the cream cheese. Add the tortellini and the spinach, then simmer for 5 minutes or until the tortellini floats to the top and is tender.
- Serve. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly before serving. Enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
Yup! I find it’s best to freeze the soup without the tortellini added to it, so that you can add that while you reheat. It keeps the pasta from becoming mushy or falling apart. If you already added it and want to freeze it, it will still work. Just make sure to thaw in the fridge overnight rather than trying to thaw in a pot on the stove.
As long as it is stored in an airtight container in the fridge, this soup will last for up to 3 days.
You can use your favorite kind of Italian sausage - mild or hot will work great. You could also substitute ground beef, ground turkey, or even sliced sausage rather than ground.
Storing and Reheating
- Refrigerator: stored leftover Creamy Tortellini Soup in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Freezer: make sure soup is completely cooled before transferring to an airtight container and storing frozen for up to 1 month. This soup reheats best if frozen without the tortellini, so they don’t become mushy or fall apart. To thaw, transfer to the fridge overnight.
- To reheat: you can reheat in a small pot on the stove or in the microwave until warmed through.
Creamy Tortellini Soup Recipe
- 1 pound Ground Sausage mild or hot
- ⅓ cup Water
- 1 medium Onion diced
- 1 28-oz can Crushed Italian Tomatoes Marzano work great
- 4 cups Chicken Broth
- 8 ounces Cream Cheese
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 19 ounces Frozen Tortellini or fresh
- 3 cups Fresh Spinach
- Heat a large pot over medium heat, then add the ground sausage with about ⅓ cup of water. Use a wooden spoon to break the meat up into small pieces and cook until no longer pink.
- Drain the fat and place the sausage onto a paper towel-lined plate. Add the diced onion to the pot and cook over medium heat until translucent, stirring occasionally.
- One cooked, add the cooked sausage back to the pot along with the crushed tomatoes, chicken broth, cream cheese, salt, Italian seasonings, and salt.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and stir to help melt the cream cheese. Add the tortellini and the spinach, then simmer for 4-5 minutes or until the tortellini floats to the top and is tender.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly before serving. Enjoy!
More Easy Soup Recipes to Try
- Vegetable Beef Soup
- Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup
- Quick Beef Chili
- Best Cauliflower Soup
- Taco Soup
- Homemade Beef Stew
- Loaded Baked Potato Soup
- Broccoli Potato Cheesy Soup
- Southwest Black Bean Soup
- Easy Chicken Noodle Soup
- Tomato Soup
- Stuffed Pepper Soup
- Best Soup Recipes
- More Beef Recipes
- More Soup Recipes
If you’ve tried this recipe, please rate it and leave a comment on this post. I love hearing feedback from you. It helps me and other readers too! If you love Pinterest, feel free to leave a comment and photo there too. Also, if you like to share, use the hashtag #thecarefreekitchen on Instagram and tag me @thecarefreekitchen so I can find you and give your post some love. You can also find me on Facebook at The Carefree Kitchen. Thank you!!
This Creamy Sausage Tortellini Soup is a hearty meal that's quick to make and perfect for a cozy night at home. It's loaded with sausage, tortellini, and spinach in a rich and creamy broth.
Leave a Reply