This Stuffed Pepper Soup has all of the ingredients you love about classic stuffed peppers cooked into a hearty soup. It’s an easy one-pot recipe full of ground beef, rice, sauteed onions, and green bell peppers in a rich and savory tomato-based broth.
Stuffed Green Pepper Soup
Look no further if you are on the hunt for a simple, hearty, and delicious one-pot soup. This Stuffed Pepper Soup is loaded with ground beef, cooked white rice, sauteed onions, and bell peppers. The rich and savory broth is made with diced tomatoes, chicken broth, and simple Italian seasoning. Top with shredded cheese, a little fresh chopped parsley, and enjoy a cozy slice of heaven.
While it is a complete meal on its own, I do like to serve it with fresh Homemade Flakey Biscuits, Classic Parker House Rolls or any kind of store-bought bread to soak up the yummy broth. If you plan to have a lot of leftovers, I recommend that you cook the rice separately, then add the rice to each individual bowl. This keeps the rice from getting mushy and soaking up all of the broth.
Ingredients in this Stuffed Pepper Soup Recipe
- Ground Beef - I like to use a lean ground beef, like 80/20, to keep the soup less greasy. For an even leaner soup, you could also substitute ground turkey
- Onion - either white or yellow onions work great.
- Bell Pepper - green pepper is what I typically use because it gives a nice contrasting color. However, you could use red bell pepper or any other color of bell pepper that you want.
- Garlic Powder - this adds a nice sweet garlic flavor. If you want to substitute fresh garlic, you can use about 2 teaspoons of minced garlic instead.
- Italian Seasoning - you could also use dried oregano, dried basil or any other dried herbs.
- Salt and Pepper
- Rice - I’ll usually use cooked long grain white rice for this recipe. But especially since you are adding already cooked rice, feel free to use brown rice or even wild rice if you prefer.
- Diced Tomatoes - you can choose to drain your tomatoes or add in the tomato juice.
- Chicken Broth - either chicken broth or beef broth works great and adds plenty of extra flavor to the soup.
- Shredded Cheese - mozzarella cheese is what I usually use, but cheddar or pepper jack work great, too.
How to Make Stuffed Peppers Soup
- Brown the beef, onion and pepper. In a large dutch oven over medium high heat, add the ground beef, chopped onion, diced bell pepper, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the meat is cooked through and the vegetables are tender.
- Add the rest and simmer. Add the cooked rice, diced tomatoes, and broth and stir to combine. Cover the pot, reduce to a simmer and cook for about 20 minutes. Add more broth as needed to keep all of the ingredients submerged.
- Serve. Remove from the heat, ladle the soup into bowls and serve topped with shredded cheese. Enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
As long as your soup is stored in an airtight container in the fridge, it should last for up to 3 days. To reheat, you’ll want to add a bit more broth since the rice will absorb more as it sits.
Considering this hearty soup is already loaded with ground beef, rice and veggies, not a whole lot is needed to make it a complete meal. My favorite accompaniment for this soup is any kind of homemade biscuit or roll, such as these Wheat Rolls, Classic Parker House Rolls, or our Homemade Flakey Biscuits.
If you know ahead of time that you are going to want to freeze this soup, we suggest leaving out the cooked rice or just cook the rice in a separate pot and serve a scoop in each bowl. After freezing and thawing, it will become mushy and give the soup a very different consistency.
To freeze, make sure to cool completely and store in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 2 months. You can either thaw overnight in the fridge, or transfer directly to a pot and warm over medium low heat, stirring occasionally.
Sure! I would still brown the beef, onion and pepper over the stovetop for about 5 minutes. Then, transfer to your slow cooker and add in the seasoning, uncooked rice, tomatoes and broth. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-7 hours, or until the rice is tender.
Storing and Reheating
- Refrigerator: store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Freezer: store in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 2 months. Note that it is best if you freeze this soup without the rice. To thaw, transfer to the fridge overnight.
- To reheat: put soup into a saucepan and add a bit more broth. Reheat over medium, stirring occasionally, until warmed through.
Stuffed Pepper Soup Recipe
- 1 pound Ground Beef
- 1 medium Onion chopped
- 1 Green Bell Pepper diced
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder or 2 teaspoons minced garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons Italian Seasoning
- 1 ½ teaspoons Salt
- ½ teaspoon Pepper
- 1 ½ cups White Rice cooked
- 1 29-oz can Diced Tomatoes
- 16 ounces Chicken Broth
- 1-2 cups Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- In a large dutch oven over medium high heat, add the ground beef, chopped onion, diced bell pepper, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the meat is cooked through and the vegetables are tender.
- Add the cooked rice, diced tomatoes, and broth and stir to combine. Cover the pot, reduce to a simmer and cook for about 20 minutes. Add more broth as needed to keep all of the ingredients submerged.
- Remove from the heat and serve topped with shredded cheese. Enjoy!
More Of The Best One-Pot Soup Recipes
- Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup
- Lasagna Soup
- White Chicken Chili
- Olive Garden Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- Easy Taco Soup
- More Soup Recipes
- More Beef Recipes
If you’ve tried this recipe, please rate it and leave a comment on this post. I love hearing feedback from you. It helps me and other readers too! If you love Pinterest, feel free to leave a comment and photo there too. Also, if you like to share, use the hashtag #thecarefreekitchen on Instagram and tag me @thecarefreekitchen so I can find you and give your post some love. You can also find me on Facebook at The Carefree Kitchen. Thank you!!
This hearty, one-pot Stuffed Pepper Soup recipe is full of ground beef, rice, sauteed onions and peppers. If you like stuffed peppers you will love this soup.