This yummy homemade Funfetti Bundt Cake, slathered in a sweet and sour lemon glaze, is the perfect way to celebrate birthdays, baby showers, graduations or anywhere else sprinkles might be appropriate. Not only does this cake look and taste amazing, but it is also a super easy cake to make.
Easy Homemade Funfetti Cake
This Funfetti Bundt Cake is the best confetti cake recipe, hands down. It’s super fluffy and moist, ever so lightly flavored with fresh lemons and packed full of rainbow sprinkles.
We top things off with a pretty white lemon glaze and even more sprinkles. All you need to complete the party is a dollop of whipped cream, some fresh berries or a scoop of your favorite ice cream.
Adults and kids alike will absolutely love this super fun, super delicious Funfetti Bundt Cake. It works as a birthday cake, mini bundt cakes for a shower or just as a fun cake to bring to a potluck.
Ingredients in Lemon Funfetti Bundt Cake
- Flour - either all-purpose flour or cake flour will work best.
- Baking Powder - this is what makes the cake rise in the oven.
- Salt - sea salt is our favorite.
- Sour Cream - any type of sour cream will work great. You can also substitute whole fat Greek yogurt, or even low-fat Greek yogurt if you are trying to cut calories.
- Sugar - you’ll need regular white granulated sugar.
- Eggs - any type of large eggs will work.
- Lemon Zest - use fresh lemon zest saved from the lemons you use to make the glaze.
- Vegetable Oil - you can also substitute avocado oil which is relatively flavor-free.
- Rainbow Sprinkles - you can find these in the bakery section of your local grocery store. You can feel free to use other types of festive sprinkles, too, depending on the holiday or occasion.
- Powdered Sugar - any type of confectioner's sugar will work. We suggest sifting it first.
- Lemon Juice - use fresh lemon juice and be sure and save the zest for the cake.
- Vanilla Extract - pure vanilla extract tastes best.
- Lemon Extract - use your favorite brand.
How to Make Funfetti Bundt Cake
- Mix batter. Grease and flour a 9 or 10 cup bundt cake pan and set aside. In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. In a separate large bowl, whisk together sour cream, sugar, eggs, lemon zest and oil. Add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture, stirring until combined. Fold in the sprinkles very gently, then pour cake batter into the prepared bundt cake pan.
- Bake. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Invert cake. Once baked, remove from the oven and let the cake cool for about 5 minutes, then put a plate or serving dish on the top of the bundt cake pan and flip the cake onto the serving plate.
How to Make Lemon Icing for Bundt Cake
- Mix ingredients together. In a large bowl, add the powdered sugar, lemon juice, vanilla extract and lemon extract. Whisk well to combine.
- Adjust. Add a bit more lemon juice or powdered sugar if necessary to reach your desired consistency.
How to Frost a Bundt Cake
- Drizzle the glaze over the cake and let it cool for about 5 minutes before adding more sprinkles over the top as desired.
- Slice and serve with a dollop of whipped cream and fresh raspberries, or a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Enjoy!
Storing & Freezing
Wrap any unfinished cake in aluminum foil, or a cake carrier with an airtight lid, and your Funfetti Bundt Cake can be stored for up to 2 days at room temperature, or up to 4 days in the refrigerator.
To freeze, wrap the unglazed bundt cake well with plastic wrap and then aluminum foil. You can store it frozen for up to a month, defrosting in the fridge or at room temperature overnight once you want to serve. Glaze and serve as directed.
Funfetti Bundt Cake Tips
- Add the rainbow sprinkles to the top of the glaze after it has set for about 5 minutes, rather than mix them in. This way they won’t bleed into the pretty white glaze.
- Likewise, you don’t want to overmix the batter once you have added the sprinkles because the colors will start to blend and turn into a funky unattractive color.
- Don’t overbake your cake! It will get dry, crumbley and just not very pretty. Keep an eye on it and if you are unsure, you can insert a toothpick into the center and see if it comes out clean.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I have to use a bundt pan for this Lemon Funfetti Cake?
Nope - you can substitute any of the following (keeping in mind that the baking time will vary):
- Two 8”x4”x2 ½” loaf pans
- One 9”x3” angel food cake pan
- One 9”x3” regular springform pan
What Size Bundt Cake Pan Should I Use?
You can use either a 9 cup or 10 cup bundt cake pan for this recipe. Obviously, the 10 cup cake pan will yield a slightly shallower cake. If you want a larger cake, we have given a conversion for using a 12 cup bundt pan below.
This is also a great recipe for making mini bundt cakes - just be sure and adjust the bake time accordingly.
What are the best sprinkles to use for homemade Funfetti cake?
Rainbow sprinkles are the kind used in Funfetti cake mix. However, there are so many sprinkles options these days and you can use any type that you like!
How Do I Keep a Cake From Sticking to a Bundt Pan?
The trick here is two parts. First, you need to properly prepare your bundt pan. It’s important to grease and then add a dusting of flour, patting out any extra flour that doesn’t stick to the butter/oil. Second, let your cake cool for about 5-10 minutes before flipping it over and inverting onto your serving plate to cool completely.
If you are still having a hard time, you can use a knife and gently pull the cake away from the pan.
Lemon Funfetti Bundt Cake Recipe
- 1 ½ cup All-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- 3 large Eggs
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons Lemon Zest from 2-3 lemons
- ½ cup Vegetable Oil
- 3 tablespoons Rainbow Sprinkles plus more after frosted
- ⅔ cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- ½ teaspoon Lemon Extract
- ½ teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour a 9-10 cup bundt cake pan and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. In a separate large bowl, whisk together sour cream, sugar, eggs, lemon zest and oil. Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture, stirring until combined.
- Once the batter is mixed, gently fold in the rainbow sprinkles, then pour cake batter into the prepared bundt cake pan.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Once baked, remove from the oven and let the cake cool for about 5-10 minutes, then put a plate or serving dish on the top of the bundt cake pan and flip the cake onto the serving plate.
- Drizzle the lemon glaze over the cake and let it set up before slicing to serve. Let the icing set for about 5 minutes, then decorate with more sprinkles as desired. Serve with a dollop of whipped cream and fresh raspberries, or a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Enjoy!
- In a large bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, lemon juice, lemon extract and vanilla extract. Add more lemon juice if necessary to reach your desired consistency.
Here are some more of our favorite easy cake recipes!
- Lemon Blueberry Bundt Cake
- Old-Fashioned Pineapple Cake
- Lime Bundt Cake
- Pumpkin Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Lemon Blueberry Bread
If you’ve tried this recipe, please rate it and leave a comment on this post. I love hearing feedback from you helps me and other readers too! If you love Pinterest, feel free to leave a comment and photo there too. Also, if you like to share, use the hashtag #thecarefreekitchen on Instagram and tag me @thecarefreekitchen so I can find you and give your post some love. You can also find me on Facebook at The Carefree Kitchen. Thank you!!
This homemade Funfetti Bundt Cake is super fluffy and moist, flavored with lemon and vanilla and packed full of rainbow sprinkles. Not only does this cake taste and look amazing, but it is also super simple to make.