This easy Cream Cheese Mint Frosting is a delicious way to finish cakes, cupcakes, brownies, sandwich cookies, and more. It’s light and fluffy, sweet and tangy, and takes just a few minutes to whip up.
Easy Mint Frosting
If you’re looking for the perfect frosting for cake, brownies, cupcakes, and homemade Oreos, this easy Peppermint Cream Cheese Frosting is a delicious choice. It only takes about 10 minutes to prepare and pairs perfectly with chocolate cake recipes, red velvet, mint chocolate chip, and so much more. You can even just spread it over a graham cracker and call it a day.
Another reason to love this mint buttercream frosting recipe is that it will whip back up to its fluffy self even after being stored in the fridge or freezer. Just make sure to pull it out to room temperature for about 30 minutes beforehand, then whip on high speed for 2-3 minutes.
Mint Cream Cheese Frosting Ingredients
- Butter - you can use salted or unsalted butter depending on your own preference. Just make sure it is soft enough to mix well with the rest of the ingredients.
- Cream Cheese - you will need one 8 ounce brick of cream cheese for this recipe. Make sure that it is softened just like the butter. If you forget to pull it out to room temperature in advance you can warm it in the microwave for about 8-10 seconds at a time. Just be careful not to heat it too much or it will begin to melt.
- Peppermint Extract - be sure to find peppermint extract if you can as it has the distinct minty flavor you are looking for.
- Vanilla Extract - pure vanilla extract has the best flavor. Adding just a little bit really boosts the overall flavor of the frosting.
- Green Food Coloring - if you use food coloring drops, you’ll need to add about 5-8 drops. If you use gel coloring, just start with a small amount and add until you get the color that you want. Depending on the occasion, you might also choose to color with red food coloring instead of green.
- Powdered Sugar - this adds sweetness without any grittiness so is a great choice for frosting.
- Salt - just a tiny pinch of salt will really enhance all of the flavors.
How to Make Mint Frosting
- Cream the butter and cream cheese. In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the room temperature butter and room temperature cream cheese and beat with the whisk attachment until light and fluffy, or about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients. Turn the mixer off and add powdered sugar, peppermint extract, vanilla extract, and green food coloring.
- Mix until fluffy. Mix on low until fully incorporated, then beat on high for about a minute or until it is light and fluffy again.
- Use or store. Use immediately (make sure that whatever you use this on has had a chance to cool completely), or store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. Enjoy!
Tips for Making The Best Mint Frosting
- Use high-quality cream cheese. Make sure that you pick a creamy and smooth cream cheese for the base of your frosting. This will give your frosting a rich and luxurious texture.
- Use fresh mint leaves. To achieve the best mint flavor, opt for fresh mint leaves rather than artificial extracts or flavorings.
- Gradually add powdered sugar. When adding the powdered sugar to your frosting, do it gradually. This will prevent any clumps from forming and ensure a smooth and creamy consistency throughout. It will also save you from making a huge mess!
- Add peppermint extract sparingly. Peppermint extract can be quite potent, so start with a small amount and gradually add more to taste. This will allow you to achieve the perfect balance of minty freshness without overpowering the cream cheese flavor.
- Add a pinch of salt. Don't forget to add a pinch of salt to your mint cream cheese frosting. This will help enhance the flavors and balance out the sweetness.
Frequently Asked Questions
The most obvious difference between buttercream frosting and cream cheese frosting is in the ingredients. Buttercream doesn’t contain any cream cheese! Buttercream is also often stabilized with a meringue and is sweeter while cream cheese frosting has a tangier flavor.
Yes - you should only keep your Mint Cream Cheese Frosting out at room temperature for two hours before refrigerating. Both butter and cream cheese are dairy products that need to be refrigerated. This includes frosting that you are saving for later as well as any cakes, cookies, or cupcakes that are frosted with it.
Yup! You can freeze any extra Mint Frosting for up to 2 months. I like to store in freezer bags that have been flattened, but any airtight container will work great. To thaw, just transfer to the fridge overnight.
- Refrigerator: store leftover Mint Frosting in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. To use again, pull the frosting out to room temperature for about 30 minutes before whipping until light and fluffy again.
- Freezer: freeze leftover frosting in freezer bags or another airtight container for up to 2 months. To thaw, transfer to the fridge overnight. Once you are ready to use it, pull it out to room temperature for about 30 minutes and then whip until light and fluffy.
Cream Cheese Mint Frosting Recipe
- ½ cup Salted Butter room temperature
- 8 oz Cream Cheese room temperature
- 4 cups Powdered Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 teaspoon Peppermint Extract
- 5-6 drops Green Food Coloring
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the room temperature butter and room temperature cream cheese and beat with the whisk attachment until light and fluffy, or about 2-3 minutes.
- Turn the mixer off and add the powdered sugar, peppermint extract, vanilla extract, green food coloring, and salt. Mix on low until fully incorporated, then beat on high for about a minute or until it is light and fluffy again.
- Use immediately, or store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. Enjoy!
More Mint-Flavored Dessert Recipes
- Andes Mints Cookies
- Chocolate Peppermint Meltaway Cookies
- Crushed Peppermint Cookies
- Mint Chocolate Fudge
- Peppermint Bark
- Mint Chocolate Dipped Oreos
- Chocolate Candy Cane Cookies
- Mint Lemonade
- More Easy Dessert Recipes
- More Cake and Frosting Recipes
If you’ve tried this recipe, please rate it and leave a comment on this post. I love hearing feedback from you. It helps me and other readers too! If you love Pinterest, feel free to leave a comment and photo there too. Also, if you like to share, use the hashtag #thecarefreekitchen on Instagram and tag me @thecarefreekitchen so I can find you and give your post some love. You can also find me on Facebook at The Carefree Kitchen. Thank you!!
This quick and easy Mint Cream Cheese Frosting pairs perfectly with all sorts of cakes, brownies, cookies, and more. You can use it right away or store for later.