These homemade Mint Oreo Cookies combine soft and fudgy chocolate cookies with velvety smooth mint cream filling. They’re rich, decadent, and so easy to make.
Homemade Mint Oreo Cookies
Chocolate mint fans will fall in love with these homemade Mint Oreos. Each cookie sandwich combines soft and chewy chocolate cake mix cookies with mint cream cheese Oreo filling. Serve with a tall glass of milk for the perfect after school treat or simple dessert.
If you want to get fancy, feel free to add sprinkles or mini chocolate chips around the outside edges. You could even add mint chocolate chips or chopped Andes mint candies to the cookie dough before baking. If you aren’t a chocolate mint person and plain Homemade Oreos are more your thing, we’ve got you covered.
Mint Oreo Cookie Ingredients
- Devil's Food Cake Mix - to make 18 full-sized Oreos you will need two 15.25 ounce boxes of Devil’s Food Cake Mix, or any other store bought chocolate cake mix that you want. If you can find a gluten-free version then you could make these gluten-free!
- Eggs - it’s best if your eggs have been at room temperature for at least 30 minutes, although not totally critical for this recipe.
- Vegetable Oil - you can also use canola oil or avocado oil.
Mint Cream Cheese Frosting
- Butter - you can use salted or unsalted butter depending on your own preference. Just make sure it is soft enough to mix well with the rest of the ingredients.
- Cream Cheese - you will need one 8 ounce brick of cream cheese for this recipe. Make sure that it is softened just like the butter. If you forget to pull it out to room temperature in advance you can warm it in the microwave for about 8-10 seconds at a time. Just be careful not to heat it too much or it will begin to melt.
- Mint Extract - be sure to find peppermint extract if you can as it has the distinct minty flavor you are looking for.
- Green Food Coloring - if you use food coloring drops, you’ll need to add about 5-8 drops. If you use gel coloring, just start with a small amount and add until you get the color that you want.
- Powdered Sugar - this adds sweetness without any grittiness so is a great choice for frosting.
How to Make Mint Chocolate Oreo Cookies
- Mix the Oreo dough. In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the cake mix, eggs, and oil. Mix on low speed using the paddle attachment until fully combined. (Note: you can also use a large mixing bowl and a spatula)
- Scoop. Scoop and roll the dough into 1” balls, then place them onto parchment or silpat lined baking sheets about 3" apart.
- Bake. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 8-10 minutes, or until the cookies are lightly brown and set on the edges. (Tip: once the cookies are puffed and cracked on top, cook for 1 more minute)
- Cool. Remove from the oven and let the cookies cool on the pan for 2-5 minutes before transferring to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
- Make the mint cream cheese frosting. In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the room temperature butter and room temperature cream cheese. Beat with the whisk attachment until light and fluffy, or about 2-3 minutes. Turn off the mixer and add the mint extract, about 5 cups of powdered sugar, and the green food coloring.. Mix on low until fully incorporated, then beat on high for about 30 seconds until it is light and fluffy again. Add up to one more cup of powdered sugar until stiff peaks form.
- Assemble the cookies. Transfer prepared frosting to a pastry bag with a large round tip. Pipe frosting over half of the cookies with frosting. If desired, add sprinkles to the edges before you top with another cookie.
- Serve or store. Serve cookies immediately, freeze, or store in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Enjoy!
Mint Oreo Cookie Recipe Variations
As if these Mint Oreos weren't good enough, here are a few more recipe variations to try:
- Mint Chocolate Chip: Add ½ cup of mini chocolate chips to the cookie dough (or the filling) for an extra chocolatey twist.
- Mint Mocha: Add 1 tablespoon of instant coffee to the batter.
- Mint Fudge Swirl: Swirl in ¼ cup of melted chocolate fudge into the cookie dough before baking for a decadent twist.
- Mint Oreo Ice Cream Sandwiches: Sandwich a scoop of mint chocolate chip ice cream between two cooled Mint Oreo Cookies for a refreshing summer treat.
- Mint Oreo Milkshake: Blend Mint Oreo Cookies with vanilla ice cream and milk for a creamy and minty homemade milkshake.
- Thin Mint Oreos: Add crushed Thin Mint Cookies to the filling.
Frequently Asked Questions
The cookies should take between 8-10 minutes to bake in a preheated 350 degree oven. Since the dough is brown, it can be difficult to tell when they have finished baking. The easiest way to tell is when they begin to puff and crack, it’s your sign to keep them in for just 1 more minute.
Yes! Filled Mint Chocolate Oreos can be stored in freezer bags for up to 2 months. You can also freeze the unfilled cookies for the same amount of time.
If your frosting isn’t thick enough, the cookies won’t be able to hold their shape once assembled. The best way to thicken your frosting is to add more powdered sugar. It should form stiff peaks once whipped.
As long as you store them properly in an airtight container in the fridge, your homemade Oreos should last for up to 3 days. If you want to make them last longer, you can freeze them for up to 2 months.
Storing and Freezing Mint Oreos
- Refrigerator: store Mint Oreo Chocolate Cookies in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Freezer: you can freeze filled Oreos for up to 2 months in freezer bags or another airtight container. You can also freeze unfilled Mint Oreos Cookies for the same amount of time.
Mint Oreo Cookies Recipe
- 2 15.25 oz boxes Devil's Food Cake Mix
- 4 large Eggs
- ⅔ cup Vegetable Oil or avocado oil
Mint Cream Cheese Frosting
- ½ cup Butter room temperature
- 8 oz Cream Cheese room temperature
- 2 teaspoons Mint Extract
- 5-6 cups Powdered Sugar
- 5-8 drops Green Food Coloring
How to Make Oreo Cookies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat (or spray with nonstick cooking spray) and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the cake mix, eggs, and oil. Mix on low speed using the paddle attachment until fully combined. (Note: you can also use a large mixing bowl and a spatula)
- Scoop and roll the dough into 1" balls, then place them onto the prepared baking sheet about 3" apart.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 8-10 minutes, or until the cookies are lightly brown and set on the edges. (Tip: once the cookies are puffed and cracked on top, cook for 1 more minute)
- Remove from the oven and let the cookies cool on the pan for 2-5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Mint Cream Cheese Frosting
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the room temperature butter and room temperature cream cheese. Beat with the whisk attachment until light and fluffy, or about 2-3 minutes.
- Turn off the mixer and add the mint extract, about 5 cups of powdered sugar, and the green food coloring. Mix on low until fully incorporated, then beat on high for about 30 seconds until it is light and fluffy again. Add up to one more cup of powdered sugar until stiff peaks form.
- Transfer prepared frosting to a piping bag with a large round tip. Pipe frosting over half of the cookies with frosting. If desired, add sprinkles to the edges before topping with another cookie.
- Serve cookies immediately, freeze, or store in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Enjoy!
More Delicious Cookie Recipes To Try
- Lucky Charms Cookies
- Oreo Dessert Pizza
- DoubleTree Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Crushed Oreo Cookies
- Andes Mint Cookies
- Peanut Butter Blossom Cookies
- Glazed Lemon Cookies
- Candy Cake Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Coconut Cookie Bars
- Soft and Chewy Sugar Cookies
- Chewy Cowboy Cookies
- Lemon Meltaway Cookies
- More Best Cookie Recipes
- More Dessert Recipes
If you’ve tried this recipe, please rate it and leave a comment on this post. I love hearing feedback from you. It helps me and other readers too! If you love Pinterest, feel free to leave a comment and photo there too. Also, if you like to share, use the hashtag #thecarefreekitchen on Instagram and tag me @thecarefreekitchen so I can find you and give your post some love. You can also find me on Facebook at The Carefree Kitchen. Thank you!!
These soft and chewy Mint Chocolate Oreos are a simple cookie that is perfect for every occasion. This recipe uses a simple cake mix cookie dough and a mint cream cheese Oreo filling.