These spooky Mummy Jalapeno Poppers are an easy Halloween appetizer that’s almost too cute to eat. Each spicy jalapeno pepper half is stuffed with cream cheese, wrapped with bacon, baked until golden, then finished with little candy eyes before serving.
Halloween Mummy Jalapeno Poppers
For Halloween parties, these Jalapeno Mummy Poppers are one of my favorite appetizers to serve. They are warm, spicy, cheesy, savory, and super adorable.
Feel free to make these fully loaded by flavoring the cream cheese mixture with shredded cheese, sliced scallions, and your favorite seasoning. Any combination of colby jack, pepper jack, and Montereky jack cheese would taste amazing.
Jalapeno Mummy Poppers Ingredients
- Jalapenos: You will need to rinse the jalapenos, cut the top off, slice down the middle, and use a spoon to scoop out all the seeds. Warning: use disposable plastic gloves when making this recipe! Sometimes it's no big deal to process raw jalapenos; sometimes, they are so hot they can give you blisters on your hands. Yikes!
- Cream Cheese: I like to use full-fat cream cheese in this recipe. The full-fat cream cheese stays creamy when it's heated. If you're trying to cut some calories, use part-skim cream cheese. Make sure it is softened before trying to add it to the jalapenos.
- Bacon: Use your favorite thin sliced bacon. Even turkey bacon works great. Each slice will need to be cut lengthwise and then widthwise. Because they are meant to look like mummy wrapping, having rough edges is actually great so don’t worry about making them look perfect.
- Candy Eyes: you can use Wilton small candy eyes, or any other brand you can find.
How to Make Mummy Jalapeno Poppers
- Prepare the jalapenos. Carefully slice jalapenos in half lengthwise, then scoop out seeds with a spoon (Note: I recommend wearing gloves). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, then place each jalapeno half cut side up onto it.
- Fill with cream cheese. Using an offset spatula or spoon, fill each jalapeno half with soft cream cheese. Use room temperature cream cheese.
- Wrap with bacon strips. Cut each bacon strip in half lengthwise and then again widthwise. (Note: You want the bacon to look a little ragged - rough edges will add to the character of each popper). Wrap each jalapeno with a few strips of bacon to look like mummy wrapping.
- Bake. Bake in a preheated oven for about 20 minutes., or until the bacon is golden brown and crispy.
- Add candy eyes and serve. Once cooked, remove from the oven and let cool for about 5 minutes before adding 2 candy eyes to each mummy. Serve warm. Enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
Warning: Use rubber gloves when making this recipe! Raw jalapenos can cause blisters on your skin if you're not protected. With gloved hands, wash and then cut the tops off the jalapenos.
Slice the jalapenos in half lengthwise, remove the seeds with a small spoon, then use as directed.
In a 400 degree oven, these Mummy Jalapeno Poppers should take between 18-20 minutes to cook. The amount of time needed to crisp up the bacon will depend on how thick the bacon is as well as how many you are baking at once.
If you want to make these Halloween poppers vegetarian, feel free to substitute crescent roll dough. Just unroll the crescent rolls onto a flat work surface and cut each rectangle into thin strips using a pizza cutter or sharp knife. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 12-15 minutes, or until the dough becomes golden brown.
Storing and Reheating
- Refrigerator: store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- To reheat: either microwave or reheat in a preheated 350 degree oven until warm.
Spooky Mummy Jalapeno Poppers Recipe
- 12 whole Jalapenos sliced in half lengthwise, seeds removed
- 8 oz Cream Cheese room temperature
- 1 pound Thin Sliced Bacon
- 48 small Candy Eyeballs
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Carefully slice jalapenos in half lengthwise, then scoop out seeds with a spoon (Note: I recommend wearing gloves). Place jalapeno halves onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet with the cut side up.
- Using an offset spatula or spoon, fill each jalapeno half with soft cream cheese. Use room temperature cream cheese.
- Cut each bacon strip in half lengthwise and then again widthwise. (Note: You want the bacon to look a little ragged - rough edges will add to the character of each popper). Wrap each jalapeno with a few strips of bacon to look like mummy wrapping.
- Bake in a preheated oven for about 20 minutes., or until the bacon is golden brown and crispy.
- Once cooked, remove from the oven and let cool for about 5 minutes before adding 2 candy eyes to each mummy. Serve warm. Enjoy!
More Halloween Recipes
- Spooky Halloween Monster Cookies
- Jack-o-Lantern Cookies
- Fall Party Mix
- Purple Witch Punch
- Green Witch Punch
- Mulled Cider
- Halloween Eyeball Cupcakes
- Mummy Hotdogs
- More Fall Recipes
- More Easy Appetizer Recipes
If you’ve tried this recipe, please rate it and leave a comment on this post. I love hearing feedback from you. It helps me and other readers too! If you love Pinterest, feel free to leave a comment and photo there too. Also, if you like to share, use the hashtag #thecarefreekitchen on Instagram and tag me @thecarefreekitchen so I can find you and give your post some love. You can also find me on Facebook at The Carefree Kitchen. Thank you!!
These fun Halloween Jalapeno Poppers are an easy appetizer to bring to any Halloween party. They're filled with cream cheese, wrapped with bacon, and decorated with cute candy eyeballs.