These homemade Lemon Oreo Cookies are soft, chewy, and a perfectly refreshing spring or summer treat. Each cookie sandwich is filled with velvety smooth lemon cream cheese frosting made from fresh lemons.
Homemade Lemon Oreos
If you’re a lemon lover, you will go absolutely crazy for this easy Lemon Oreo Cookie recipe. They’re an easy sandwich cookie that’s best described as a cross between Golden Oreos and whoopie pies.
The soft and chewy Oreo lemon cookies use lemon cake mix as a base which keeps things super quick and easy. While they’re in the oven, you can whip up the lemon cream cheese frosting that’s packed full of fresh lemon juice and zest. If you want to get that bright yellow color, feel free to add a few drops of yellow food coloring. You can also decorate the outside with sprinkles if you’re feeling festive.
Lemon Oreo Cookies Ingredients
- Lemon Cake Mix - to make 18 full-sized Lemon Oreos you will need two 15.25 ounce boxes of store bought Lemon Cake Mix. If you don’t mind losing a bit of the lemon flavor, you could also substitute a yellow cake mix. And, if you can find a gluten-free version you could even make these gluten-free!
- Eggs - it’s best if your eggs have been at room temperature for at least 30 minutes, although not totally critical for this recipe.
- Vegetable Oil - you can also use canola oil or avocado oil.
Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
- Butter - you can use salted or unsalted butter depending on your own preference. Just make sure it is soft enough to mix well with the rest of the ingredients.
- Cream Cheese - you will need one 8 ounce brick of cream cheese for this recipe. Make sure that it is softened just like the butter. If you forget to pull it out to room temperature in advance you can warm it in the microwave for about 8-10 seconds at a time. Just be careful not to heat it too much or it will begin to melt.
- Fresh Lemons - you will need both the lemon zest and the lemon juice from fresh lemons. It’s easiest to zest first then juice them.
- Powdered Sugar - this adds sweetness without any grittiness so is a great choice for frosting.
How to Make Lemon Oreo Cookies With Cake Mix
- Mix the Oreo dough. In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the cake mix, eggs, and oil. Mix on low speed using the paddle attachment until fully combined. (Note: you can also use a large mixing bowl and a spatula)
- Scoop. Scoop and roll the dough into 1” balls, then place them onto parchment or silpat lined baking sheets about 3" apart.
- Bake. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 8-10 minutes, or until the cookies are lightly brown and set on the edges. (Tip: once the cookies are puffed and cracked on top, cook for 1 more minute)
- Cool. Remove from the oven and let the cookies cool on the pan for 2-5 minutes before transferring to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
- Make the lemon cream cheese frosting. In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the room temperature butter and room temperature cream cheese. Beat with the whisk attachment until light and fluffy, or about 2-3 minutes. Turn off the mixer and add the fresh lemon juice, fresh lemon zest, and about 5 cups of powdered sugar. Mix on low until fully incorporated, then beat on high for about 30 seconds until it is light and fluffy again. Add up to one more cup of powdered sugar until stiff peaks form.
- Assemble the cookies. Transfer prepared frosting to a pastry bag with a large round tip. Pipe frosting over half of the cookies with frosting. If desired, add sprinkles to the edges before you top with another cookie.
- Serve or store. Serve cookies immediately, freeze, or store in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Enjoy!
Recipe Variations for Homemade Lemon Oreos
Can't get enough lemon? Here are some recipe variations to try:
- Double-Stuffed: Who doesn't love extra filling? Double the amount of filling in the original recipe for an extra indulgent treat.
- White Chocolate Coating: Dip the finished cookies in melted white chocolate for a sweet and tangy flavor combination.
- Glazed: Mix together powdered sugar and lemon juice to create a simple glaze that can be drizzled over the finished cookies.
- Chocolate Filling: Swap out the lemon filling for a rich and decadent chocolate filling. For those of you who are chocolate and lemon fans, it's a winning combination.
- Ice Cream Sandwich: Make the cookies slightly larger and sandwich a scoop of lemon sorbet or ice cream between two cookies. Delicious!
- Crushed Lemon Candy Topping: Crush up some lemon drops or other lemon-flavored candy and sprinkle on top of the finished cookies for an extra zingy crunch.
Frequently Asked Questions
In an oven preheated to 350 degrees, your Oreo Lemon Cookies should take between 8-10 minutes to bake. A good trick to know for sure is when they begin to puff and crack on top, leave the cookies in for 1 more minute.
If you find that your lemon cream filling is too loose to hold its shape, return the frosting to the mixing bowl and add a bit more powdered sugar. You want it to form stiff peaks. Another reason for runny frosting is if your butter and cream cheese are too warm. They should be soft but not melted when mixing the frosting.
Absolutely! You can freeze both filled and unfilled Lemon Oreo cookies for up to 2 months in an airtight container or freezer bags.
Storing and Freezing Lemon Oreos
- Refrigerator: store Lemon Oreos in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Freezer: you can freeze filled Oreos for up to 2 months in freezer bags or another airtight container. You can also freeze unfilled Lemon Oreos for the same amount of time.
Lemon Oreo Cookies Recipe
Lemon Oreo Cookies
- 2 15.25 oz boxes Lemon Cake Mix
- 4 large Eggs
- ⅔ cup Vegetable Oil or avocado oil
Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
- ½ cup Butter room temperature
- 8 oz Cream Cheese room temperature
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Zest
- ¼ cup Lemon Juice
- 5-6 cups Powdered Sugar
How to Make Oreo Cookies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat (or spray with nonstick cooking spray) and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the cake mix, eggs, and oil. Mix on low speed using the paddle attachment until fully combined. (Note: you can also use a large mixing bowl and a spatula)
- Scoop and roll the dough into 1" balls, then place them onto the prepared baking sheet about 3" apart.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 8-10 minutes, or until the cookies are lightly brown and set on the edges. (Tip: once the cookies are puffed and cracked on top, cook for 1 more minute)
- Remove from the oven and let the cookies cool on the pan for 2-5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the room temperature butter and room temperature cream cheese. Beat with the whisk attachment until light and fluffy, or about 2-3 minutes.
- Turn off the mixer and add 5 cups of powdered sugar, the fresh lemon juice, and the fresh lemon zest. Mix on low until fully incorporated, then beat on high for about 30 seconds until it is light and fluffy again. Add up to one more cup of powdered sugar until stiff peaks form.
- Transfer prepared frosting to a piping bag with a large round tip. Pipe frosting over half of the cookies with frosting. If desired, add sprinkles to the edges before you top with another cookie.
- Serve cookies immediately, freeze, or store in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Enjoy!
More Delicious Oreo Recipes
- Mint Oreo Cookies
- Homemade Oreos
- Mint Chocolate Dipped Oreos
- White Chocolate Dipped Oreos
- Crushed Oreo Cookies Recipe
- Oreo Dessert Pizza
- Oreo Pie Crust
- Chocolate Oreo Parfaits
- More Best Cookie Recipes
- More Lemon Recipes
If you’ve tried this recipe, please rate it and leave a comment on this post. I love hearing feedback from you. It helps me and other readers too! If you love Pinterest, feel free to leave a comment and photo there too. Also, if you like to share, use the hashtag #thecarefreekitchen on Instagram and tag me @thecarefreekitchen so I can find you and give your post some love. You can also find me on Facebook at The Carefree Kitchen. Thank you!!
These easy homemade Lemon Oreo Cookies are soft, chewy, and full of creamy lemon filling. They're the perfect refreshing treat to make during the spring, summer, or any other time of year.