This Skinny Vegetable Soup is quick and easy, full of flavor and naturally low in fat and calories. Starting with a tomato base, this homemade vegetable soup is loaded with all of your favorite veggies making it incredibly hearty for something so healthy.
Skinny Vegetable Soup Video Tutorial
Best Vegetable Soup Ever (No Kidding!)
If you are looking for a great vegetable soup, we’ve got you. This Skinny Vegetable Soup recipe is a five-star, all-time favorite. It’s brothy, loaded with vegetables, and can be easily customized to suit your family’s own preferences.
Panera Ten Vegetable Soup
To make this into the Panera 10 Vegetable Soup, add some hot paprika, cayenne or crushed red pepper flakes to give this vegetable soup some heat. You can also sub out other vegetables that you love!
Ingredients in Skinny Vegetable Soup
- Olive Oil - this gives the soup soup of that deep, rich, Italian flavor.
- Onion - adding onion will give the soup a sweet flavor. We like to caramelize our onions before adding everything else. I promise this little bit of extra time is worth the hassle.
- Garlic - fresh is best, but jarred will work in a pinch.
- Carrots - the best carrots to use are fresh large carrots. They are sweeter than the baby ones and don’t have any preservatives in them.
- Cauliflower - so good in this soup!
- Zucchini - small zucchini are best. If you’re using small zucchini, there is no need to peel the skin - just wash and dice.
- Napa Cabbage - you can purchase pre-shredded cabbage or shred yourself.
- Italian Stewed Tomatoes - San Marzano tomatoes work great. Just be sure they’re diced or crushed, or do it yourself in the blender before adding them.
- Chicken Broth - you can use the jarred chicken base to make your own, use a carton of broth or even make your own homemade broth. They all work great. If you want to make this recipe vegan and vegetarian, just replace it with your favorite vegetable broth. If you really want to boost the umami richness, you can substitute beef broth.
- Parsley, Basil and Oregano - you can use either dry or fresh. If you use fresh, you may want to up the quantities. Another great herb to use (fresh or dried) would be a few bay leaves. A little will go a long way.
- Salt and Pepper
How to Make Skinny Vegetable Soup
- In a large dutch oven or stockpot, add the olive oil and heat over medium heat. Once warm, add the onion and saute over medium heat until the onions are soft and lightly golden brown or about 8-10 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic, carrots, broccoli, and cauliflower and saute for 2 minutes longer.
- Add the zucchini, cabbage, tomatoes, broth, herbs, salt, and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat slightly and cover with a lid. Let simmer for about 25-30 minutes, or until the veggies are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Once your soup is cooked completely, remove it from the heat and let it cool for at least 5 minutes. Season with more salt and pepper if desired before ladling into bowls and topping with Parmesan or mozzarella cheese and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice if desired. Enjoy!
How to Make Crockpot Skinny Vegetable Soup
This can easily be made in the slow cooker. It’s almost entirely a dump and go recipe, with one exception: it’s best if you caramelize the onions before adding into the crockpot. The onions are a key ingredient in this soup recipe and always taste so much better if they are caramelized!
- Chop up your onion and caramelize in a saute pan over medium heat with a couple of tablespoons of olive oil.
- Once caramelized, add the onions, the rest of the vegetables, the stock and your herbs and spices into the crockpot.
- Cook on low for 5 hours, or on high for about 3 hours.
- Taste test and adjust the salt if needed. Enjoy!
Can You Freeze Vegetable Soup?
Yup! Just cool completely and transfer to freezer bags. Lay the bags flat in the freezer and store for up to 5 months.
Once you are ready to use, you can thaw overnight in the fridge, or else transfer directly into a pot on the stovetop and re-heat on medium-low, stirring often.
If you want to go the microwave route, just transfer into a microwave-safe container and reheat for about 30 seconds at a time, stirring in between.
Skinny Vegetable Soup Recipe
- 3 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 Cups Onion chopped
- 2 tsp Garlic minced
- 2 Large Carrots sliced
- 1 Cup Broccoli chopped into bite-sized florets
- 1 Cup Cauliflower chopped into bite-sized florets
- 1 Medium Zucchini chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 2 Cups Napa Cabbage shredded
- 1 Can (28 oz) Italian Stewed Tomatoes crushed or diced
- 1 Quart Chicken Broth vegetable broth works great here too
- 1 Tbsp Parsley dried
- 2 tsp Basil dried
- 1 tsp Oregano dried
- 1 tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Pepper
- In a large dutch oven or stockpot, add the olive oil and heat over medium heat. Once warm, add the onion and saute over medium heat until the onions are soft and lightly golden brown, or about 8-10 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic, carrots, broccoli and cauliflower and saute for 2 minutes longer.
- Add the zucchini, cabbage, tomatoes, broth, herbs, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat slightly and cover with a lid. Let simmer for about 25-30 minutes, or until the veggies are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Once your soup is cooked completely, remove from the heat and let cool for at least 5 minutes. Season with more salt and pepper if desired before ladling into bowls and topping with Parmesan or mozzarella cheese if desired. Enjoy!
Here are some more homemade soup recipes that we love!
- Best Creamy Cauliflower Soup
- Easy Homestyle Chicken Noodle Soup
- Roasted Tomato Soup
- Loaded Baked Potato Soup
- Broccoli Potato Cheese Soup
- Turkey and Rice Soup
- Southwest Black Bean
If you’ve tried this recipe, please rate it and leave a comment on this post. I love hearing feedback from you helps me and other readers too! If you love Pinterest, feel free to leave a comment and photo there too. Also, if you like to share, use the hashtag #thecarefreekitchen on Instagram and tag me @thecarefreekitchen so I can find you and give your post some love. You can also find me on Facebook at The Carefree Kitchen. Thank you!!
This Skinny Vegetable Soup recipe is a five-star, all-time favorite. It's quick and easy, full of flavor, loaded with your favorite veggies and naturally low in fat and calories.