This Skinny Vegetable Soup Recipe is a homemade vegetable soup recipe with a tomato base. It's loaded with all your favorite veggies, has tons of flavor, and is naturally low in fat and calories. It's one of the best vegetable soups and makes for a quick and easy meal.
If you're looking for a great vegetable soup recipe, I got you! This Skinny Vegetable Soup Recipe is a five star, all-time favorite. It's brothy, loaded with vegetables and can easily be customized to suit your family. It's a heart-healthy soup recipe everyone loves. If you're looking for a delicious bread to serve it with, consider this hearty Cheddar bread or Pull Apart Garlic Bread.
Looking For the Best Soup Recipes?
For some more homestyle soup recipes like this one, give these a try:
- Easy Homestyle Chicken Noodle Soup - full of chicken, homestyle noodles, carrots and peas, and quick to throw together.
- Roasted Tomato Soup - roasting the tomatoes gives them so much more flavorful than the canned version, and it still tastes just as great with a grilled cheese.
- Loaded Baked Potato Soup - if you are a sucker for soup and potatoes, this is for you!
- Broccoli Potato Cheese Soup - loaded with veggies and cheddar cheese, this is delicious on it's own or served from a bread bowl.
- Turkey and Rice Soup - filled with wild rice, turkey and veggies.
- Broccoli Cheese Soup- creamy broccoli soup loaded with veggies.
If you're hankering for Panera 10 vegetable soup, this vegetable soup is a great start.
To make this into a Ten vegetable soup Panera, you can add some hot paprika, cayenne, or crushed red pepper flakes to give this vegetable soup the same heat you're looking for. You can also sub out or add the additional vegetables you love.
Healthy Crockpot Soup Recipes
This Skinny Vegetable Soup Recipe can also be made in the crockpot. It's a dump and go recipe with one exception, it's going to be best if you caramelize the onions in a little olive oil before you add everything to the crockpot. The onions are a key ingredient in this soup recipe and always taste better if they're caramelized.
How to make Crockpot Vegetable Soup
- chop up an onion and caramelize in a saute pan with a couple of tablespoons of olive oil.
- Add the onions and the rest of the vegetables, chicken or vegetable stock, and spices to a crockpot
- Cook on Low for 5 hours or on high for about 3 hours.
- Taste test and adjust the salt if needed. Enjoy!
Can You Freeze Vegetable Soup?
Yup! Just cool completely and transfer to freezer bags. Lay them flat in the freezer and store for up to 5 months. Once you are ready to use, you can thaw overnight in the fridge, or else transfer directly into a pot on the stovetop and re-heat on medium-low heat, stirring often.
If you want to go the microwave route, just transfer into a microwave-safe container and reheat for about 30 seconds at a time, stirring in between.
Ingredients in Skinny Vegetable Soup
Olive Oil- This is used to cook the onion and give it a deep, rich, Italian recipe flavor.
Chopped Onion- Adding onion will give the soup a sweet flavor. We like to caramelize our onions before adding everything else. I promise this little bit of extra time is well worth the hassle.
Minced Garlic- Fresh is always best but the jarred garlic works great too.
Carrots- The best carrots to use are fresh, big carrots. They are even sweeter than the mini ones and don’t have any preservatives on them.
Cauliflower- So good in this vegetable soup.
Zucchini- small zucchini is best. If you’re using small zucchini, no need to peel the skin, just wash and dice.
Shredded Cabbage- You can buy the cabbage pre-shredded or do it yourself. It’s a really flavorful, healthy, and hearty ingredient.
Chicken Broth- You can use the jarred chicken base from Costco and make your own broth, use a carton of broth, or even homemade chicken broth. They all work great. If you’re wanting a vegetarian or vegan minestrone soup recipe, just replace the chicken broth with your favorite vegetable broth.
Stewed Italian Tomatoes- San Marzano tomatoes work great here. Just be sure they’re diced or crushed or do it yourself in the blender before adding the tomatoes to the soup.
Parsley- Adding some parsley will give it a fresh taste. YUM.
Spices (Parsley, Oregano, Basil) It is the perfect balance of Italian Herbs.
Salt- You can start with half of the salt and then add more if desired. I error on the side of maybe a little salty.
Pepper-Black pepper works great.
Skinny Vegetable Soup Recipe
- 3 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 Cups Onion chopped
- 2 tsp Garlic minced
- 2 Large Carrots (sliced)
- 1 Cup Broccoli (chopped into bite-sized pieces)
- 1 Cup Cauliflower (chopped into bite-sized pieces)
- 1 Medium Zucchini (sliced into bite-sized pieces)
- 2 Cups Shredded Cabbage
- 1 Can (28 oz) Italian Stewed Tomatoes crushed or diced
- 1 Quart Chicken Broth vegetable broth works great here too
- 1 Tbsp Parsley
- 2 tsp Basil
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- In a large dutch oven or stockpot, add the olive oil and chopped onion. Saute on medium heat until the onions are soft and lightly golden brown. (about 8-10 minutes)
- Add the minced garlic, carrots, and cauliflower. Saute 2 for minutes longer.
- Add the remaining ingredients ( Zucchini, cabbage, shredded cabbage, tomatoes, and herbs and bring to a boil. Turn down the heat to medium and cover with a lid. Let simmer for about 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally or until the veggies are tender.
- Reduce heat to medium and cover with a lid. Let simmer for about 25-30 minutes or until the veggies are tender.
- Ladle into bowls. You can sprinkle some parmesan or mozzarella cheese on top if desired. Serve.
More of the Best Soups Recipes
If you’ve tried this recipe, please rate it and leave a comment on this post. I love hearing feedback from you helps me and other readers too! If you love Pinterest, feel free to leave a comment and photo there too. Also, if you like to share, use the hashtag #thecarefreekitchen on Instagram and tag me @thecarefreekitchen so I can find you and give your post some love. You can also find me on Facebook at The Carefree Kitchen. Thank you!!
This is an old fashioned vegetable soup without meat. You can use it for soup diet weight loss and is by far one of the best healthy soups.
This Skinny Vegetable Soup Recipe is a homemade vegetable soup recipe with a tomato base. It's one of the best vegetable soups and makes for a quick and easy meal. It's loaded with all your favorite veggies, has tons of flavor, and is naturally low in fat and calories. It's soon to be your favorite too!