This Saltine Cracker Toffee recipe (aka Christmas Crack) is not only super quick and easy to make, it is also incredibly addicting. In a buttery, crunchy, sweet and salty class of its own, this holiday treat is bound to be your new favorite.
Saltine Cracker Candy
There’s a good reason that this is often called Christmas Crack, although you definitely don’t have to reserve it for only one month out of the year. Saltine Cracker Toffee tastes just as amazing in July! Whenever you decide to make it, you can be sure that your friends and family will be asking for the recipe.
Why is it so addicting? Because Saltine Cracker Toffee is made with crunchy, salty crackers and buttery toffee smothered with milk chocolate and topped with chopped nuts. You can really get creative, too, and mix and match different types of crackers, chocolate chips and toppings. Sprinkles are a fun way to customize this for any celebration.
Another reason to hold onto this recipe is that Saltine Cracker Toffee makes great Christmas gifts that can be finished in just about 15 minutes. Package them in a cute little tin or box and you’ll be good to go!
Ingredients in this Saltine Cracker Toffee Recipe
- Saltine Crackers - these are the classic cracker to use, but you could also substitute matzo crackers, Ritz Crackers or even graham crackers.
- Butter - especially if you plan to use salted saltine crackers, we recommend using unsalted butter.
- Brown Sugar - we like the flavor of light brown sugar in this recipe best, but you could also use plain white granulated sugar or even dark brown sugar if you’d like.
- Chocolate Chips - this recipe calls for milk chocolate chips, but you could also substitute dark chocolate, white chocolate, peanut butter, butterscotch or any other type that you like.
- Nuts - our favorites to add are pecans, walnuts and almonds. Depending on the type of chocolate chips that you plan to use, peanuts would also taste great. Make sure and lightly toast and chop your nuts to get the best flavor and texture.
How to Make Saltine Cracker Toffee
- Cracker layer. Butter a 15" x 21" baking sheet (or spray with cooking spray), then arrange crackers evenly over the bottom.
- Make the toffee layer. Add the butter and brown sugar to a sauce pot over medium heat and bring to a boil. Continue to boil for 2 minutes while whisking, then pour the brown sugar mixture over the crackers crackers. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 5 minutes.
- Add the chocolate layer. Remove the crackers from the oven and sprinkle chocolate chips evenly over the top. Let the hot crackers melt the chocolate chips, then spread the melted chocolate evenly over the crackers using a spatula.
- Add toppings and finish. Top with your favorite chopped, toasted nuts, gently pressing into the chocolate, and let cool until solid. Cut or break into pieces and enjoy!
Variations of Saltine Toffee Crackers
- Substitute Ritz Crackers, matzo crackers or even graham crackers.
- Try another type of chocolate chips. Dark chocolate, white chocolate, peanut butter or butterscotch would all taste delicious!
- Add other toppings such as M&Ms, Reese’s Pieces, crushed candy canes, toffee pieces, crushed pretzels or flakey sea salt.
Tips and Tricks
- If you want to really be sure that your Saltine Cracker Toffee is easy to remove from the baking sheet, you can line the bottom with parchment paper.
- You want to be sure that you boil and bake your toffee long enough so that it sets up, but make sure and keep a close eye on your toffee in the oven because does burn easily.
- Make sure you toast your nuts before using them as a topping. It dramatically improves the flavor and keeps them from getting soft.
Storing Toffee Crackers Candy
- Refrigerator: This holds up great in the refrigerator, and even tastes good cold. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks!
- Freezer: You can freeze for up to 30 days as long as your wrap your Saltine Cracker Toffee in plastic wrap and then place in an airtight container. You don’t want to store too long or your risk too much moisture making your toffee soggy once it thaws.
Saltine Cracker Toffee Recipe
- 1 ½ sleeves Saltine Crackers
- 1 ¼ cups Butter
- 1 cup Light Brown Sugar
- 1 12-oz bag Milk Chocolate Chips
- 1 cup Walnuts, Almonds or Pecans toasted and chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a 15" x 21" baking sheet, then arrange crackers evenly over the bottom.
- Add the butter and brown sugar to a sauce pot and bring to a boil. Continue to boil for 2 minutes while whisking, then pour the brown sugar mixture over the crackers crackers.
- Bake In a preheated oven for 5 minutes, then remove the crackers from the oven and sprinkle chocolate chips evenly over the top. Let the hot crackers melt the chocolate chips, then spread the melted chocolate evenly over the crackers using a spatula.
- Top with your favorite chopped, toasted nuts, gently pressing into the chocolate, and let cool until solid. Cut into pieces and enjoy!
More Homemade Candy Recipes
If you're looking for more fun and easy recipes starring chocolate, here are a few you're not going to want to miss.
- Chocolate Covered Strawberries
- Unicorn Hot Chocolate Bombs
- Homemade Caramel
- Mint Chocolate Dipped Oreos
- Buttery English Toffee
- Peanut Butter Bars
- Nilla Wafer Candies
- White Chocolate Dipped Oreos-Ornament Oreos
- Nutella Ball Candy
- More Candy Recipes
More Christmas dessert recipes!
- Grandma's Gingerbread Men Cookies
- Rolled Sugar Cookies
- Peanut Butter Blossom Cookies
- No-Bake Chocolate Cheesecake
- Andes Mint Cookies
- Homemade Caramel
- More Desserts
This delectable holiday delight is sure to become a new favorite - Saltine Cracker Toffee! This irresistible homemade candy belongs to a class of its own with its perfect blend of buttery, crunchy, sweet, and salty flavors. The best part? You can whip up this simple candy recipe in just 15 minutes! Get ready to indulge in a mouthwatering sensation that will leave you craving more.