This Orange Dreamsicle Cookie Bar recipe has a soft sugar cookie base topped with a homemade dreamsicle frosting. It's a perfect summer dessert to serve at BBQs, potlucks, bake sales, and more.
Orange Dreamsicle Cookie Bars
If you've jumped on the bandwagon of the Orange Creamsicle flavor craze, these Orange Dreamsicle Bars will be right up your alley. They're a beautiful blend of vanilla and orange creamy frosting on a soft and chewy sugar cookie bar.
Plus, they are super quick and easy to make for a crowd since you don't need to bake and frost individual cookies. The frosting recipe is also easily adaptable to just about any flavor you can imagine. Just substitute the orange extract and vanilla extract or add your favorite flavor.
If you love the combo of orange and vanilla flavors, you're going to want to try these Homemade Orange Rolls, and Orange Dreamsicle Cookies. Oh my, these dessert recipes are incredible and loaded with the dreamcicle flavors you love.
Orange Cookie Bar Ingredients
- Flour - all-purpose flour works great for these cookie bars.
- Baking Soda - this helps to keep the dough nice and soft and allows the cookies to rise slightly in the oven.
- Salt - salt helps balance all of the flavors.
- Butter - your butter should be softened to room temperature before making the dough. If you forget to pull it out ahead of time, microwave gently for about 10 seconds at a time just until soft.
- Sugar - you will need white granulated sugar for these cookie bars.
- Vanilla Extract - pure vanilla extract has the best flavor.
- Eggs - it helps to have your eggs at room temperature so that they don't shock the butter when added to the dough. You can run them until warm water if needed.
Dreamsicle Buttercream Frosting
- Butter - you can use either salted or unsalted butter, depending on the flavor profile you like. Either way, your butter needs to be soft. You can pull it out at room temperature or warm slowly in the microwave for about 10 seconds at a time just until soft.
- Powdered Sugar - it helps to add this in a few batches rather than all at once.
- Fresh Oranges - you will need both the juice and zest from a fresh orange. You may need to add slightly more orange juice depending on the consistency of the frosting that you are going for. Feel free to choose different varieties of oranges, too, such as blood oranges or Cara Cara oranges.
- Vanilla Extract - pure vanilla extract has the best flavor.
- Orange Extract - adding this isn't completely necessary but it does enhance the orange flavor quite a bit.
How To Make Orange Dreamsicle Cookie Bars
- Combine the dry ingredients. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt and set aside.
- Mix the rest of the sugar cookie dough. In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the room temperature butter, sugar, and vanilla extract. Beat using the paddle attachment until light and fluffy - about 3 minutes. Slowly add the eggs, then beat on low until well combined, scraping down the sides as needed. Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and mix on low speed until combined. Don't overmix.
- Press dough into a baking sheet. Lightly spray a 12" x 17" baking sheet with nonstick spray (or line with parchment paper). Press the cookie dough into the bottom of the pan as evenly as possible.
- Bake. Bake in a 325 degree preheated oven for 20-25 minutes ,or until just barely golden brown on the edges. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Make the Orange Creamsicle Buttercream. In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the butter and beat using the paddle attachment until light and fluffy. Add the powdered sugar on low speed, then increase to medium to combine. Add the orange juice, orange zest, orange extract, and vanilla extract. Mix again until light and fluffy. Adjust withorange juice or powdered sugar as needed to get the desired consistency.
- Assemble the cookie bars. Spread the orange buttercream frosting evenly over the cooled cookie bars. Top with sprinkles if desired. Cut into bars or squares before serving. Enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
Because these cookie bars have a buttercream frosting, they should be stored in the fridge. They can sit out, however, for quite some time before needing to be refrigerated so they are perfect for serving at parties.
Yes! In fact, they actually taste amazing frozen. Store in an airtight container or freezer bag for up to 1 month in the freezer if they are frosted, or 2 months if they are not frosted.
Yup! If you would rather bake these as individual cookies, just roll into 1" balls and place about 1-2 inches apart on a baking sheet. Bake as directed in this recipe, adding 2-3 minutes to the baking time if necessary.
Storing Baked Cookie Bars
You can store the cookie bars already baked.
- Airtight Container- If you want to store the cookie bars already baked, just place them in a container with a lid or a ziplock bag. They will stay fresh for a few days.
- Freezer- If you haven’t tried this method, you’re missing out. Cookie bars freeze really well and are so fun to grab out of the freezer and enjoy. Let them thaw for a few minutes and you’ll have an extra chewy cookie bar to enjoy. Cookies can remain in the freezer, in an airtight container or freezer bag for up to 3 months.
- Thaw- If you want to make them ahead of time, you can bake them in the cookie sheet, cover in a double layer of plastic wrap, and then pull them out of the freezer a couple of hours before you need them. If you're using frosting, it's best to frost the cookie bars when they are frozen, after you pull them out of the freezer.
Orange Dreamsicle Cookie Bar Recipe
- 2 ¼ cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Butter room temperature
- 1½ cups Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 2 large Eggs room temperature
Orange Dreamsicle Buttercream
- 3 cups Powdered Sugar
- ½ cup Butter room temperature
- ½ teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- ½ tsp Orange Extract
- 1 Orange zested
- 2½ Tablespoons Orange Juice fresh
How to Make Sugar Cookie Bars
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the room temperature butter, sugar, and vanilla extract. Beat using the paddle attachment until light and fluffy - about 3 minutes. Slowly add the eggs, then beat on low until well combined, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Lightly spray a 12" x 17" baking sheet with nonstick spray (or line with parchment paper). Press the cookie dough into the bottom of the pan as evenly as possible.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 20-25 minutes ,or until just barely golden brown on the edges. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
How To Make Orange Dreamsicle Buttercream
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the butter and beat using the paddle attachment until light and fluffy. Add in the powdered sugar and mix on low speed at first, then increase to medium until well combined.
- Turn the mixer off and add the orange juice, orange zest, orange extract, and vanilla extract. Mix for another minute or so until light and fluffy again. Note: If your frosting is a little too dense, add a teaspoon of orange juice. If your frosting is too runny, add another half cup of powdered sugar.
How to Assemble Orange Cookie Bars
- Spread the dreamsicle frosting evenly over the cooled cookie bars. Top with sprinkles if desired. Cut into bars or squares before serving. Enjoy!
More Orange Creamsicle Recipes
- Orange Dreamsicle Cookies
- Orange Creamsicle Cheesecake
- Homemade Sweet Orange Rolls
- Orange Sugar Cookies Bars
More of the Best Cookie Bar Recipes
- Caramel Peanut Butter Cookie Bars
- Coconut Cookie Bars
- Coconut Lime Sugar Cookie Bars
- Gingerbread Cookie Bars
- Lemon Sugar Cookie Bars
- Candy Cookie Bars
- Peanut Butter Cereal Bars
- More Cookie Bar Recipes
- More Cookie Recipes
If you’ve tried this recipe, please rate it and leave a comment on this post. I love hearing feedback from you. It helps me and other readers too! If you love Pinterest, feel free to leave a comment and photo there too. Also, if you like to share, use the hashtag #thecarefreekitchen on Instagram and tag me @thecarefreekitchen so I can find you and give your post some love. You can also find me on Facebook at The Carefree Kitchen. Thank you!!
This Orange Dreamsicle Bar Cookie recipe is a soft sugar cookie bar with a homemade dreamcicle frosting. It's made with a chewy sugar cookie bars recipe and delicious orange creamsicle frosting. This dessert recipe is perfect for a BBQ, potluck or a bake sale.