This homemade Acai Bowl recipe is a quick, easy and healthy breakfast that is packed with antioxidants, fiber, protein and healthy fats. The frozen acai smoothie is topped with granola, fresh fruit and a drizzle of honey.
Homemade Açaí Bowl
Next time you find yourself craving an Acai Bowl, do yourself a favor and skip the smoothie shop. Our homemade Acai Bowls are just as thick, creamy and delicious and can be made even more healthy for just a fraction of the price.
Pronounced “ah sigh ee,” this recipe uses frozen berries, frozen bananas, acai powder, whole milk, honey and nut butter to create a thick frozen acai smoothie that is tart, a little sweet and super delicious. We finish by adding our favorite toppings like granola, fresh fruit and a drizzle of honey or maple syrup.
What is an Acai Bowl?
Açaí Bowls are a popular dessert in Brazil, made from blending tart açaí berries and serving it topped with bananas, granola, syrups and other mixed fruits. The berries from the tree are a purplish fruit almost resembling grapes that come from the açaí palm tree which grows mostly in Central and South America. Açaí powder is made from freeze-dried açaí berries.
Ingredients in this Acai Bowl Recipe
- Frozen Berries - you can freeze your own strawberries, raspberries or blueberries or you can purchase bags of frozen berries. Frozen mangos or pineapples are a great substitute.
- Frozen Banana - frozen bananas contribute not only sweetness but also an ice cream consistency once blended in. For the best flavor and texture, make sure you freeze super ripe bananas.
- Acai Powder - you can find this at most health food stores or specialty grocery stores. Sometimes you’ll find little 100 gram packets of frozen açaí in the freezer section. If so, you can substitute one packet for the açaí powder. If all else fails, you can easily find açaí powder on the internet.
- Milk - whole milk is best. Or, you could use any kind of coconut milk, almond milk or plant-based milk. If you want to make this dairy-free, you could also use apple juice.
- Honey - use a high quality honey if possible. You can also substitute maple syrup.
- Almond Butter - adding nut butter like almond butter or peanut butter is optional but it adds great flavor, protein and texture.
Acai Bowl Topping Ideas
A few of my favorite toppings include:
- Sliced strawberries
- Whole blueberries, raspberries or blackberries
- Sliced bananas
- Diced mango
- Honey or maple syrup
- Hemp seeds
- Chia seeds
- Pumpkin seeds
- Coconut flakes
How to Make an Acai Bowl Recipe at Home
- Freeze the fruit. Cut strawberries and bananas into 1" chunks, transfer to a sheet pan lined with parchment paper and freeze in a single layer for about 1 hour, or until completely frozen. (Note: if you are making this ahead of time, you can transfer the frozen fruit to a large freezer bag or container once frozen)
- Blend. In a high powered blender, add the frozen strawberries (or berries), frozen banana, açaí powder, milk, honey and almond butter to the blender. Blend until smooth, adding a bit more milk as needed until you reach a thick frozen smoothie texture.
- Add toppings. Divide the smoothie into 2 bowls and top with granola, fresh strawberries, fresh bananas, fresh mango and a drizzle of honey.
Frequently Asked Questions
Because it’s full of frozen fruit, it’s definitely best to eat your Açaí Bowl right after you have finished blending it. If you do have any leftovers, freeze them in a freezer bag for up to 1 month. When you want to use it, blend it up with a little more milk and serve.
The best way to thicken your Acai Bowl is to use frozen fruit. It creates a smoothie consistency that fresh fruit simply will not. You can also adjust the texture by adding a bit more frozen fruit or a bit more milk, depending on how you like it.
Homemade Acai Bowls are packed full of nutrients, fiber and healthy fats. Açaí berries are considered a superfood because they are so full of antioxidants. However, the Acai Bowls that you purchase at smoothie and juice shops have a lot of added sugars, so you are far better off making them at home.
Tips and Tricks for Your Homemade Acai Bowl
- To easily freeze your fruit at home, place slices or chunks flat on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Freezer for at least 1 hour, or until frozen solid. If you aren’t making right away, transfer to freezer bags and use as needed.
- To keep your mess to a minimum, add the fruits first and then the liquid. You can use a tamper to tamp the fruit down as you blend.
- If you want to boost your bowl even more, try adding protein powder, maca powder, super greens powder, fresh spinach, or Greek yogurt.
Acai Bowl Recipe
- 1 cup Frozen Strawberries sliced and frozen
- 1 whole Banana sliced and frozen
- 1 Tablespoon Acai Powder or 1 frozen acai packet
- ⅔ cup Milk
- 1 Tablespoon Honey or maple syrup
- 1 Tablespoon Almond Butter optional
- ¼ cup Granola
- ½ cup Strawberries sliced
- ½ large Banana sliced
- 2 Tablespoons Mango diced
- 2 Tablespoons Honey or maple syrup
- Cut strawberries and bananas into 1" chunks, transfer to a sheet pan lined with parchment paper and freeze in a single layer for about 1 hour, or until completely frozen. (Note: if you are making this ahead of time, you can transfer the frozen fruit to a large freezer bag or container once frozen)
- In a high powered blender, add the frozen strawberries (or berries), frozen banana, acai powder, milk, honey and almond butter to the blender. Blend until completely smooth, adding a bit more milk as needed until you reach a thick frozen smoothie texture.
- Divide the smoothie into 2 bowls, then top with granola, fresh strawberries, fresh bananas, fresh mango and a drizzle of honey. Enjoy!
More of Our Favorite Healthy Breakfast Recipes To Try
- Blue Smoothie Bowl
- Easy and Healthy Homemade Granola
- Chia Oatmeal Energy Balls
- Coconut Peanut Butter Power Balls
- Healthier Banana Muffins
- Berry Salad with Citrus Glaze
- More Breakfast Recipes
- More Gluten Free Options
This recipe will show you how to make an Acai Bowl in your very own home. The frozen acai smoothie can be topped with any of your favorite toppings, making for a simple healthy breakfast.