This Bacon Wrapped Smokies recipe makes the perfect appetizer for feeding a large or small group on game day, for a cocktail party, or as a late night snack at home. They are a little sweet, a little spicy and totally delicious, making them an easy crowd-pleaser.
Bacon Wrapped Smokies with Brown Sugar
Is there anything better than enjoying the big game or a party surrounded by friends and delicious appetizers? We think not. Even if you plan to celebrate at home with your family, you really can’t go wrong making these Bacon Wrapped Smokies.
They look impressive and your family and friends are absolutely sure to go crazy over them, but they are also incredibly simple to throw together. All you need to do is wrap the Lil Smokies in bacon, toss them into a sweet and spicy brown sugar mixture and bake. Easy peasy and oh-so-yummy!
Bacon Wrapped Smokies Ingredients
- Lil Smokies - there are a few different brands and flavors of Lil Smokies, but any will work great - even the cheddar-filled kind. You’ll find them in the same section of the grocery store that you will find other cured meats, such as hot dogs and bacon. Each 14-ounce package contains about 40 individual Lil Smokies.
- Bacon - you can use your favorite kind of bacon. Any will work great, as long as you cut each slice into 3 smaller pieces.
- Chili Powder - you can use chili powder, or even cayenne powder if you want to kick it up a notch. Another great spice to use is a touch of garlic powder.
- Brown Sugar - we like to use light brown sugar, but dark brown will work just as well.
- Pineapple - this is optional, but adds a great flavor and presentation. Cut the pineapple into 1” chunks and serve your Bacon Wrapped Smokies directly on top.
- Toothpicks - any type of wooden toothpick will work - just don’t try and bake the plastic ones! You can soak them in water for about 10 minutes just before using if you are at all nervous about baking them dry.
How to Make Bacon Wrapped Smokies
- Wrap in bacon. Cut each slice of bacon into thirds, then wrap a piece of bacon around each Lil Smokie and secure with a toothpick through the center.
- Toss in brown sugar mixture. In a small bowl, combine the chili powder (or cayenne pepper) with the brown sugar and then roll each bacon wrapped Lil Smokie in the brown sugar mixture.
- Bake. Place on a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper and repeat with all of the Lil Smokies. Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 15 minutes, or until the bacon is crispy and the sugar mixture has caramelized.
- Serve. Remove from the oven and let cool for a couple of minutes, then place each Bacon Wrapped Smokie onto a piece of pineapple to serve. Enjoy!
Tips and Tricks
- Cutting the bacon into thirds ensures that it will get nice and crispy!
- You can also bake these in a baking dish if you’d prefer. That way you can skip the parchment paper.
- If you are hesitant about putting wooden toothpicks in the oven, you can always presoak them in water for 10 minutes, then drain on paper towel before using.
- If you want to make these even spicier, add cayenne powder instead of chili powder. These also taste great with a few pinches of garlic powder.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can! These can be made up to 3 days in advance as long as they remain uncooked and you don’t cover them in the sugar until the last minute.
When we make these ahead of time, we’ll wrap each in bacon, secure with toothpicks, cover and store in the fridge. Once we’re ready to bake, all we need to do is pull the pan from the fridge, preheat the oven, toss in the sugar mixture and bake!
Your cooking time will vary depending on how many you cook at once and the temperature of your oven, as well as the oven itself. In general, if you make this recipe as directed, it will take about 15 minutes to bake these Bacon Wrapped Smokies at 400 degrees F.
If you plan to bake at a lower temperature, it will take slightly longer. You will know when they are done once the bacon has cooked and the sugar has caramelized.
Yup - just like hot dogs, they come fully cooked, so you really only need to be concerned with the bacon cooking all the way.
Storing and Reheating
- Refrigerate: once baked, these Bacon Wrapped Smokies can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days as long as they are kept in an airtight container.
- Reheat: these reheat best in a 350 degree oven for about 10-15 minutes, or until warmed through.
- Freeze: you can actually freeze unbaked smokies. Just wrap in bacon and store in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 1 month. Once you are ready to bake, remove them from the freezer and immediately toss in the brown sugar mixture. Bake as directed, adding about 5-7 minutes to the total cooking time.
Bacon Wrapped Smokies Recipe
- 1 lb Bacon each cut into 3 smaller segments
- 1 14 oz package Lil Smokies
- 40 Toothpicks
- ¼ teaspoon Chili Powder or cayenne pepper for more heat
- ½-3/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 large Pineapple cut into 1" chunks (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut each slice of bacon into thirds, then wrap a piece of bacon around each Lil Smokie and secure with a toothpick through the center.
- In a small bowl, combine the chili powder (or cayenne pepper) with the brown sugar and then roll each bacon wrapped Lil Smokie in the brown sugar mixture.
- Place on a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper and repeat with all of the Lil Smokies.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 15 minutes, or until the bacon is crispy and the sugar mixture has caramelized.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for a couple of minutes, then place each Bacon Wrapped Smokie onto a piece of pineapple to serve. Enjoy!
More easy appetizers that we love!
- Candied Kielbasa
- Brie Bites
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Bites
- Bacon and Jalapeno Stuffed Peppers
- Crispy Potato Bites
- Italian Mini Kabob Appetizers
- Cheese Filled Peppers
- BLT Dip
- Buffalo Chicken Bites
- Easy Appetizers
- More Appetizers
These Bacon Wrapped Smokies are easy peasy and oh-so-yummy. They are a little sweet, a little spicy and totally delicious.