This melt-in-your-mouth Candy Cane Popcorn is an easy, festive treat to make during the holiday season. Coated in creamy white chocolate and crushed peppermint candy canes, it makes the perfect gift or party snack that everyone loves.
Peppermint Bark Popcorn
One of my all-time favorite gourmet popcorn recipes to make at home is this Candy Cane Popcorn, aka Peppermint Bark Popcorn. Each little white chocolate coated, peppermint-flavored popcorn kernel tastes like Christmas. Unlike some homemade sweets, you’ll need just a few simple ingredients and about 30 minutes to make this dessert - no candy thermometers necessary.
If you plan to make Candy Cane Popcorn for a party, you can either serve it in a large bowl or individual single-serve cups. For gift-giving, I like to package it in bags or in small boxes with holiday tissue paper and ribbons. Feel free to spice things up even further by adding holiday sprinkles or an extra drizzle of dark chocolate - yum!
Ingredients in Candy Cane Popcorn
- Popcorn - I prefer using freshly popped popcorn. You can use microwave popcorn or popcorn from the bag, however it will likely have added salt and flavors.
- White Chocolate - for the best flavor, use high quality white chocolate chips. Guittard works great. You can also use white candy melts if you prefer.
- Coconut Oil - this helps keep the white chocolate slightly loose so that it coats the popcorn better.
- Salt - sea salt works great.
- Peppermint Extract - just a small amount adds a ton of flavor.
- Crushed Peppermint Candy Canes - you want to crush your candy canes into small, bite size pieces without creating too much of a powder.
How to Make Candy Cane Popcorn
- Pop the popcorn. Pop enough popcorn to make about 8-10 cups, removing the unpopped popcorn kernels.
- Melt the white chocolate. Melt the chocolate chips and coconut oil in a microwave-safe bowl by heating for about 30 seconds at a time, stirring between until completely melted and smooth. Add the salt and peppermint extract and stir again.
- Add the white chocolate and crushed candy canes. Place popcorn in a large bowl, then drizzle the melted white chocolate on top of the popcorn, stirring gently until evenly coated. Add the crushed candy canes and mix until combined.
- Let the chocolate set. Spread the white chocolate coated popcorn evenly onto a parchment paper covered baking sheet. Place the Candy Cane Popcorn in a cool place and allow it to set completely, then gently break apart using your hands.
- Serve or store. Serve in a large bowl, or in small single-serve cups. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days. Enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
I personally prefer fresh air popper popcorn. Plain popcorn that you pop yourself will taste the freshest and won’t have any added ingredients. You can use microwavable popcorn, however it will have salt and other flavors added to it.
While Candy Cane Popcorn is best when eaten within 24 hours, it should stay fresh for up to 3 days as long as it’s stored in an airtight container at room temperature.
One easy way to crush candy canes is to place them in a freezer bag and crush them into pieces using a rolling pin. Don’t go too crazy or you will end up with more powder than candy cane pieces. You can try making crushed peppermint candy canes using a food processor, but just be careful to pulse only as much as necessary to break them into small pieces.
Candy Cane Popcorn Recipe
- 10 cups Popped Popcorn
- 14 ounces White Chocolate Chips Guittard works great, or any high quality chocolate
- 1 Tablespoon Coconut Oil
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ⅛ teaspoon Peppermint Extract
- ½ cup Crushed Candy Canes
- Cover a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Pop enough popcorn to make about 8-10 cups, removing the unpopped popcorn kernels.
- Melt the chocolate chips and coconut oil in a microwave-safe bowl by heating for about 30 seconds at a time, stirring between until completely melted and smooth. Add the salt and peppermint extract and stir again.
- Place popcorn in a large bowl, then drizzle in the melted white chocolate, stirring gently until the popcorn is evenly coated. Add the crushed candy canes and mix until combined. Spread the white chocolate coated popcorn evenly onto your prepared baking sheet.
- Place the Candy Cane Popcorn in a cool place and allow it to set completely, then gently break apart using your hands. Serve in a large bowl, or in small single-serve cups. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. Enjoy!
More Of Our Favorite Holiday Dessert Recipes
- Peppermint Bark
- Peppermint Pretzels
- Homemade Caramel Popcorn
- Reindeer Pretzels
- Peanut Brittle
- Jello Divinity
- Pretzel Toffee
- Turtle Candy
- Candied Pecans
- Gingerbread Cookie Bars
- Homemade Cracker Jacks
- More Best Christmas Candy Recipes
- More Dessert Recipes
If you’ve tried this recipe, please rate it and leave a comment on this post. I love hearing feedback from you. It helps me and other readers too! If you love Pinterest, feel free to leave a comment and photo there too. Also, if you like to share, use the hashtag #thecarefreekitchen on Instagram and tag me @thecarefreekitchen so I can find you and give your post some love. You can also find me on Facebook at The Carefree Kitchen. Thank you!!
This Candy Cane Popcorn is a quick, easy, and delicious holiday snack. Perfect for gift giving, parties, or munching on at home, it's made by adding melted white chocolate and crushed candy canes to freshly popped popcorn.