This homemade Honey Mustard Dressing is creamy, balanced and so much better than store-bought salad dressing. It’s a quick and easy recipe with just a few ingredients but full of sweet and tangy flavor.
Best Honey Mustard Salad Dressing
It’s always a good idea to have a solid stash of easy recipes for homemade salad dressings so that you can whip something up at a moment’s notice. This Honey Mustard Dressing Recipe is one of my favorite salad dressing recipes because it seems to go with almost anything and uses ingredients I almost always have around the house. It’s super creamy, sweet, and tangy and takes just about 5 minutes to put together.
You can store your Honey Mustard Salad Dressing in a mason jar or any other airtight container for up to two weeks in the fridge. However, mine rarely lasts that long because I put it on everything. Of course, it’s a great recipe to use on salads, but it’s also delicious as a dipping sauce or as a flavoring for fresh or roasted veggies.
Ingredients in Honey Mustard Dressing
- Honey - my general rule of thumb is that the better the honey, the better the flavor of this salad dressing. That said, any kind of honey you use will make a salad dressing that tastes far better than anything store-bought.
- Dijon Mustard - dijon mustard is super creamy and adds a tangy, well-balanced flavor to this dressing. You want to avoid yellow mustard as it just won’t pair well with all of the acidity. Stone ground mustard is another to avoid because it will make the dressing grainy.
- Lemon Juice - fresh squeezed lemon juice is definitely the way to go. Avoid bottled lemon juice if at all possible. Apple cider vinegar or white wine vinegar makes an excellent substitute, or you could use a little lemon juice and a little vinegar.
- Salt and Pepper
- Olive Oil - in order to get the smoothest and full-bodied salad dressing, we recommend using extra virgin olive oil.
How to Make Honey Mustard Dressing
- Blend and emulsify. In a blender, combine the honey, dijon mustard, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Turn to medium speed, then slowly add in the olive oil giving it time to emulsify.
- Use immediately or store. Store in an airtight container for up to two weeks, or use immediately. Transfer the dressing to a pourable container and drizzle over your favorite salad. Enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
Because this recipe is dairy free and egg free, it lasts quite a while in the fridge. As long as it’s stored in an airtight container or jar in the fridge, it will last for up to 2 weeks. You’ll want to give the container a good shake before using as it will settle as it sits.
We highly recommend using your favorite kind of dijon mustard for Honey Mustard Salad Dressing. It adds a super balanced flavor and is incredibly creamy compared to either yellow mustard or stone ground mustard.
This homemade Honey Mustard Dressing is actually very healthy! It’s packed with healthy fats, vitamins and antioxidants thanks to the honey, lemon juice and olive oil. Also, unlike store bought dressings, it doesn’t have any processed ingredients, refined sugars or unnatural preservatives.
Emulsification happens in cooking when fat droplets are broken down and able to be suspended in water. In the case of this salad dressing, the oil and lemon juice, along with the honey, mustard and seasoning, are blended at a high speed allowing the oil to break apart into small droplets that are dispersed and suspended in the lemon juice. You’ll know it has emulsified because it will turn from watery looking to creamy looking. If an emulsification breaks, you can generally bring it back by blending or shaking very well.
Salad dressings that are oil based, such as this one, do not freeze well. As they freeze and thaw, the emulsification seems to break and never go back to how it was originally. Considering this is so easy to make, it's best to make and store in the fridge instead.
Honey Mustard Dressing Recipe
Honey Mustard Dressing Recipe
- 4 Tablespoons Honey
- 2 Tablespoons Dijon Mustard
- ½ cup Lemon Juice
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ⅛ teaspoon Pepper
- ½ cup Olive Oil
- In a blender, combine the honey, dijon mustard, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Turn to medium speed, then slowly add in the olive oil giving it time to emulsify.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days, or use immediately. Transfer the dressing to a pourable container and drizzle over your favorite salad. Enjoy!
More Homemade Salad Dressing Recipes To Try
- Southwest Ranch Dressing
- Homemade Ranch Dressing
- Pesto Ranch Dressing
- Homemade Pesto
- Honey Mustard Vinaigrette
- More Sauces and Condiments
- More Salad Recipes
If you’ve tried this recipe, please rate it and leave a comment on this post. I love hearing feedback from you. It helps me and other readers too! If you love Pinterest, feel free to leave a comment and photo there too. Also, if you like to share, use the hashtag #thecarefreekitchen on Instagram and tag me @thecarefreekitchen so I can find you and give your post some love. You can also find me on Facebook at The Carefree Kitchen. Thank you!!
This Honey Mustard Salad Dressing is a quick and easy homemade dressing that goes with just about anything. It's creamy, tangy, sweet and uses just a few simple ingredients.