This perfect Baked Peach Pie is filled to the brim with sweet summer peaches all baked into a flaky homemade crust. It’s got a little zip to it, thanks to the lime juice and ginger, and tastes amazing with freshly whipped cream or a huge scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Homemade Peach Pie
You just can’t beat a classic summer favorite like this Baked Peach Pie. It’s loaded with juicy peaches that have been tossed in brown sugar, lime juice and ground ginger, then baked inside a flaky, buttery pie crust.
If you are a pie crust newbie, never fear. We’ve got an entire post dedicated to teaching you how to make the best homemade pie crust, including how to blind bake, how to make a lattice top crust, tips and tricks and more.
Serve this beauty with freshly whipped cream or vanilla ice cream for the ultimate warm weather dessert.
Picking the Best Peaches for Pie
There are so many varieties of peaches to choose from, and they all make great pie. The biggest thing is choosing the tastiest, ripest ones that you can find. If they are in season and grow in your area, definitely try and buy them locally.
Here are a few more hints for picking the best peaches:
- Look for freestone peaches (the kind where the peach pits come out easily) as opposed to clingstone peaches.
- Choose peaches that are firm but have a little bit of give when pressed.
- They should be freeze of wrinkles, brown spots and bruises.
- Smell them and choose the most fragrant ones.
Ingredients in Baked Peach Pie
Homemade Pie Crust
- Flour - you can use all-purpose flour for this recipe.
- Salt - any kind of sea salt or finely ground salt will work.
- Crisco - crisco works great because it doesn’t melt as easily as butter. But, you can absolutely substitute cold butter if you’d prefer.
- Water - use super cold water to keep the dough as cool as possible. You can even add ice cubes to the water (just don’t add the ice cubes into the dough).
- Egg Wash and Sugar - applying an egg wash to the dough gives it a little shine and keeps the crust nice and crisp. You don’t need much - just an egg and a tablespoon of water. We like to finish off with a sprinkle of sugar, too.
Peach Pie Filling
- Peaches - ideally you would want to choose ripe, yellow peaches that are free of brown spots, super fragrant and roughly the same size. If you can’t find them ripe, store them in a brown bag at room temperature for a couple of days to ripen them the quickest.
- Sugar - this recipe calls for regular granulated sugar.
- Brown Sugar - we usually use light brown sugar but you can also use dark brown sugar if you prefer that deeper flavor.
- Lime Juice - use fresh squeezed lime juice for this recipe, or substitute fresh lemon juice.
- Cornstarch - this helps to thicken the fruit pie filling.
- Ginger - any kind of ground ginger will work.
How to Make Baked Peach Pie
- Make the pie dough. See our post on Homemade Flaky Pie Crust for detailed instructions on how to mix, roll and shape your own dough. For this Baked Peach Pie, you will want to double the recipe so you have enough for the lattice top.
- Make the peach pie filling. In a large mixing bowl, combine the peach slices and lime juice. In a small bowl, add the sugar, brown sugar, cornstarch and ginger and whisk together. Sprinkle the sugar mixture over the sliced peaches and gently toss until coated. Transfer the pie filling to the prepared pie crust.
- Add a lattice top crust. Use the remaining pie crust to create a lattice crust on top of the pie with the reserved dough strips. Cut excess pie crust off, fold the edges under and pinch the edges together.
- Brush with egg wash. Whisk together 1 whole egg with 1 tablespoon of water, then use a pastry brush to apply the egg wash over the entire crust. Sprinkle a couple tablespoons of sugar over the top just before baking.
- Bake. Place the pie plate onto a baking sheet and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 45 minutes - 1 hour, or until the filling is bubbling and thickened and the crust is golden brown. If the edges of the pie become golden before the baking time is complete, cover the edges with strips of aluminum foil and finish baking.
- Cool and serve. Once the pie has finished baking, remove from the oven and let cool before slicing and serving with a scoop of fresh whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. Enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
Nope - it’s not necessary in this recipe. This pie bakes for a long time so it will have plenty of time to get nice and golden brown while the filling bakes.
If you want to, you absolutely can leave the skins on. They do add a good amount of flavor and color. Some people are turned off by the texture so it’s completely up to you.
Yup! For canned peaches, just be sure and drain them. For frozen peaches, you’ll want to thaw them prior to using them in the pie because they will release a lot of juices. We also recommend using ¼ cup of cornstarch instead if you plan on using frozen peaches.
Storing and Freezing
- Room Temperature: store your Baked Peach Pie covered in plastic wrap or aluminum foil at room temperature for up to 2 days.
- Refrigerator: if you find you want to store it for longer, it will last covered in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Freezer: you can freeze a Baked Peach Pie either before or after it has been baked. Wrap it in plastic wrap and aluminum foil and store in the freezer for about 1 month.
- Baking and Reheating: to bake an unbaked frozen pie, just remove all wrapping and bake as directed, adding about 15 minutes onto the total time. To reheat a frozen baked pie, warm in a 350 degree oven for about 15-20 minutes, or until warmed through.
Baked Peach Pie Recipe
Double Pie Crust Recipe
- 2 ½ cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 8 oz Crisco or butter
- ½ cup Water cold
- 6-7 large Peaches peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 Tablespoons Lime Juice or lemon juice
- ½ cup Sugar
- ½ cup Brown Sugar
- 3 Tablespoons Cornstarch ¼ cup if using frozen peaches
- ¼ teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 1 large Egg
- 1 Tablespoon Water
- 2-3 Tablespoons Sugar
Basic Double Pie Crust
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the four and salt.
- Add the Crisco (or cold butter) and use your fingers to combine. Once the mixture resembles coarse meal, make a well in the center and add the water.
- Carefully bring the flour mixture from the sides of the bowl into the center with the water and gently mix until combined and the flour is all moistened. Do not overmix or knead!
- Divide the dough into two even pieces, form them into flat discs, wrap in plastic and let rest in the cooler for about 30 minutes - 1 hour. Note: if you don’t have time, don’t worry about chilling the dough. It’s a good practice, but not 100% necessary with this recipe.
- Once the dough has rested, remove from the plastic wrap and transfer to a lightly floured surface. Use a rolling pin, start in the middle of the dough and roll outwards to make a circle. Roll into an evenly thick, round, circle large enough for the dough to hang over your pie plate at least ½".
- Carefully line a pie plate with the rolled dough and set aside. Roll the second disc of dough into a large circle about ¼" thick, then cut into ¾" strips using a pizza or lattice cutter. Place on a sheet tray and transfer to the cooler while you make your pie filling.
Peach Pie Filling
- In a large bowl, combine the peach slices and lime juice.
- In a small bowl, add the sugar, brown sugar, cornstarch and ginger and whisk together. Sprinkle the sugar mixture over the sliced peaches and gently toss until coated.
- Transfer the pie filling to the prepared pie crust, then create a lattice crust on top of the pie with the reserved dough strips.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Whisk together 1 whole egg with 1 tablespoon of water, then use a pastry brush to apply the egg wash over the entire crust. Sprinkle with a couple tablespoons of sugar just before baking.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 45 minutes - 1 hour, or until the filling is bubbling and thickened and the crust is golden brown. If the edges of the pie become golden before the baking time is complete, cover the edges with strips of aluminum foil and finish baking.
- Once the pie has finished baking, remove from the oven and let cool before serving with a scoop of fresh whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. Enjoy!
Here are some of our favorite pie recipes:
- Caramel Pecan Pie
- Razzleberry Pie
- Homemade Flaky Pie Crust
- Blackberry Pie
- Fresh Peach Pie
- Pecan Pie
- Coconut Cream Pie
- Banana Cream Pie
- Cherry Pie
- Apple Pie
- More Pie Recipes
- More Desserts
If you’ve tried this recipe, please rate it and leave a comment on this post. I love hearing feedback from you helps me and other readers too! If you love Pinterest, feel free to leave a comment and photo there too. Also, if you like to share, use the hashtag #thecarefreekitchen on Instagram and tag me @thecarefreekitchen so I can find you and give your post some love. You can also find me on Facebook at The Carefree Kitchen. Thank you!!
This simple Baked Peach Pie is loaded with juicy peaches that have been tossed in brown sugar, lime juice and ground ginger, then baked inside a flaky, buttery pie crust. It tastes great served with a dollop of whipped cream or scoop of vanilla ice cream.