This easy Avocado Toast recipe is a delicious way to start the day. It’s healthy, delicious, super simple, and has unlimited flavor variation possibilities.
The Best Avocado Toast Recipe
This is the absolute best Avocado Toast recipe because it is based on using just a few quality ingredients. From there, the sky's the limit. You can eat as is, or create any number of flavor combinations depending on what you like and what you have around the house.
One of my favorite ways to make Avocado Toast is topping with a fried egg sunny side up. Finish with everything bagel seasoning, salt, pepper, and a squeeze of fresh lime juice for a crazy satisfying breakfast or brunch. Below you will find a few variation ideas to get you started, but feel free to use your imagination and get creative.
Ingredients in Avocado Toast
- Sourdough Bread - sourdough is my favorite bread to use for Avocado Toast, but any freshly baked whole grain or wheat loaf will work great. Toasted bagels are another delicious option.
- Avocado - choose ripe avocados that have just a little bit of give when gently pressed.
- Cream Cheese - I like full fat cream cheese but you can use a low fat variety if you prefer.
- Everything Bagel Seasoning - if you somehow have never tried this, do yourself a favor and grab some! The flavors are amazing with cool, creamy avocado and fresh lime juice.
- Salt - be sure not to skip the salt here. It seriously boosts the flavor of avocado. Sea salt or any other type of flaky sea salt will work great.
- Pepper - I love a little freshly cracked black pepper on my Avocado Toast.
- Lime - just a little fresh lime juice squeezed right over the top is exactly what this needs as a finishing touch.
How to Make Avocado Toast
- Toast the bread. Toast the sourdough bread until crispy and golden brown.
- Add the avocado and cream cheese. Spread cream cheese evenly over each slice. Peel and slice the avocado and spread half over the cream cheese on each piece of toast. (You can mash the avocado if you prefer)
- Season and serve. Season with everything bagel seasoning, sea salt, and a squeeze of fresh lime juice. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
Avocado Toast Variations
Here are a few delicious and simple variations of Avocado Toast to try:
- Smashed Avocado and Egg Toast: top with a fried egg, poached egg, or scrambled egg and sprinkle with salt and pepper. If you like things spicy, you could add a pinch of red pepper flakes.
- Avocado Toast with Bacon and Tomato: add a few slices of crispy bacon and sliced tomato.
- Avocado Toast with Feta and Dill: crumble some feta cheese on top and sprinkle with fresh dill.
- Avocado Toast with Salsa: top with fresh salsa and a squeeze of lime juice.
- Avocado Toast with Salmon: add smoked salmon, a sprinkle of salt and pepper, and a little squeeze of lemon juice.
- Avocado Toast with Hummus: spread hummus over the toasted bread before adding your avocado and sprinkle of paprika.
Frequently Asked Questions
When choosing the perfect avocado, you want to pick one that is just barely squishy when gently pressed. If you plan to mash your avocado, it can be slightly squishier but if there is too much give, it is likely browning on the inside. Avocados that aren’t ripe yet have very little flavor so avoid ones that are rock hard.
For Avocado Toast, plan on about ½ an avocado per slice of toast.
It’s best to choose bread with great flavor, but you also want the toast to hold its shape even with the avocado on top. I love making Avocado Toast with thick slices of hearty sourdough. Other whole grain loaves, or any freshly baked bread will work great. Sliced sandwich bread will work in a pinch but don’t expect it to hold up very well!
Avocado Toast Recipe
- 2 slices Sourdough Bread can substitute, whole wheat or any kind of bread
- 1 large Avocado ripe
- 1-2 Tablespoons Cream Cheese
- ⅛ teaspoon Everything Bagel Seasoning
- 1 pinch Sea Salt
- 1 pinch Pepper
- ½ small Lime
- Toast the sourdough bread until crispy and golden brown, then spread cream cheese evenly over each slice. Peel and slice the avocado and spread half over the cream cheese on each piece of toast. (You can mash the avocado if you prefer)
- Season with everything bagel seasoning, sea salt, and a squeeze of fresh lime juice. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
More Of The Best Breakfast Recipes
- Strawberries and Cream French Toast Bake
- Ham and Cheese Quiche
- Smothered Hash Browns
- Lemon Blueberry Scones
- Homemade Belgian Waffles
- Lemon Sweet Rolls
- Healthy Granola
- Bacon and Asparagus Quiche
- More Breakfast Recipes
- More Reader Favorites
If you’ve tried this recipe, please rate it and leave a comment on this post. I love hearing feedback from you. It helps me and other readers too! If you love Pinterest, feel free to leave a comment and photo there too. Also, if you like to share, use the hashtag #thecarefreekitchen on Instagram and tag me @thecarefreekitchen so I can find you and give your post some love. You can also find me on Facebook at The Carefree Kitchen. Thank you!!
This is the only recipe for Avocado Toast that you will ever need. It's satisfying, delicious, and uses just a few quality ingredients as a starting point so that you can make any flavor variation you can imagine.
Leave a Reply