Cheesy Potato Casserole
This potato casserole, or known as funeral potatoes in some areas, is total comfort food. It's a cheesy potato casserole and made from shredded potatoes, cheese, and sour cream. It's loaded with flavor and is one of the best potato casserole recipes.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time30 mins
cooling time5 mins
Total Time40 mins
Servings: 15 people
- 1 20 oz bg Potatoes shredded and frozen
- 1 10 oz can Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 cup Sour Cream full fat or lite work great
- 2 cups Cheese (Save 1/2 cup to sprinkle on the top before baking)
- 3 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 medium Onions
- 2 teaspoons Garlic Salt
- 1 Cup Chicken Broth
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
Spray the inside of a 9 by 13" baking dish with non-stick cooking spray
Chop the medium onion into 1/2" pieces. Add the onion to a skillet with the butter. Cook on medium heat, while stirring until the onion is a light caramel color. (about 5 minutes)
In a large mixing bowl, add the shredded potatoes, cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, 1 1/2 cup cheese, the onions, garlic salt, and chicken broth. Stir until well mixed.
Spread the potato mixture in a 9 by 13" baking dish and sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
Bake in a 350-degree oven for 30-40 minutes or until the edges are bubbly and lightly golden brown. Remove from the oven, enjoy!
Tips to make this shredded potato casserole:
- You can make this ahead of time. 24 hours in the fridge works great.
- You can use frozen shredded hashbrowns or you can cut whole potatoes into 1/2" chunks, boil until tender, and use them in this cheesy potatoes casserole. Both methods work great.
- This also makes an amazing freezer meal idea. It tastes just as good after being frozen. Just put the potato casserole in the oven frozen and bake for an extra 30-45 minutes.
- I used whole fat sour cream in this recipe but you can lighten it up by using lite sour cream in this potato casserole with sour cream.
Calories: 126kcal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 31mg | Sodium: 561mg | Potassium: 188mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 316IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 145mg | Iron: 1mg