Garlic Parmesan Mashed Potatoes
This Garlic Parmesan Mashed Potatoes recipe makes the perfect side dish to go along with just about anything. They are buttery, garlicky, cheesy and absolutely delicious, with or without gravy.
Servings: 8 people
- 5 lbs Potatoes we like to use red, but Idaho or Yukon gold work great, too.
- 1 Tablespoon Salt for Boiling Water
- 3 Tablespoons Butter Plus another Tablespoon to garnish (optional) room temp
- ⅔ Cup Sour Cream lite or full fat are both fine
- ½-1 Tablespoons Salt
- 1 Teaspoons Garlic Powder use less if you want
- ½ Cup Parmesan Cheese shredded, or any other cheese you have on hand
- ½ Cup Milk can also use heavy cream
Wash the potatoes, peel (optional), and cut into 1" cubes.
Place the potatoes in a large pot, add 2 teaspoons of salt, and cover with cold water.
Bring to a boil, and boil potatoes for 20-30 minutes or until they are fork-tender (and they no longer stick to a fork when you stick one in).
Drain the water, then add the potatoes back to the pot. Add in your butter, sour cream, salt, garlic powder, Parmesan cheese and milk (or cream).
Mash potatoes with a hand masher, getting out all of the largest chunks. You can keep mashed potatoes as chunky or as smooth as you like. You may also use a standing mixer with the whisk attachment, but just be sure not to overmix your potatoes or they will get gummy.
Finish with a pat of butter and chopped parsley if desired. Enjoy!
- You can leave the peels on or take them off, whichever you prefer, just make sure to wash them
- Start with cold water covering your potatoes, then bring to a boil. They will cook more evenly this way.
- Salting the water you boil your potatoes in seasons them as they cook.
- A hand potato masher will you give you a great rustic mashed potatoes texture.
- Cutting your potatoes smaller will make them cook faster!
Calories: 110kcal | Carbohydrates: 2g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 27mg | Sodium: 1468mg | Potassium: 57mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 324IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 114mg | Iron: 1mg