Classic Chicken Parmesan
- 1 Egg
- 1 Tbsp Water
- Salt & Pepper
- 3-4 Chicken Breasts or 6 oz. per person
- 6 Tbsp Parmesan Cheese
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 1/2 Cups Bread Crumbs Can use crushed rice crackers to make gluten free
- 1/3 Cup Parmesan Cheese
- 2 Cups Marinara Your favorite
- 1 Cup Mozzarella Can use part skim, whole, or fresh
Prepare the Chicken Breasts
Start by trimming off any fat or tendons from your chicken breasts. Lay your chicken breast in a Ziplock bag or between two sheets of plastic wrap. Using a meat tenderizer, rolling pin, or the bottom of a mason jar, give the chicken a few good whacks on the thickest part of the chicken breast. (You don't need the entire chicken breast to be the same thickness but your chicken will cook much more evenly if the thickest part of the chicken breast isn't so thick. This will also make your chicken cook more evenly and be more tender.)
On a plate, add the bread crumbs, Italian seasoning, garlic powder and 6 Tablespoons of Parmesan cheese. Mix.
Making the Chicken Parmesan
Dip the raw chicken breast into the egg mixture, roll in the breadcrumb mixture (make sure all areas on the chicken breast are covered) and lay in a non-stick skillet with a couple of tablespoons of oil. (Be sure the skillet is also oven safe)
Salt and pepper the chicken breasts.
Place your chicken breast in the skillet on medium heat. c Cook your chicken breast until it is golden brown.
Using tongs flip your chicken breast over and continue to cook on medium heat until the underside of the chicken breast is golden brown as well. (Your chicken breast will probably not be done at this point. The purpose of cooking in the pan is too crisp both sides of the chicken breasts and get your chicken nice and crispy. ( marinara and cheese, coming soon!)
Add a scoop of your favorite marinara sauce into the chicken breast and cover with Mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
* Place the skillet with the chicken in the oven and bake on 350 for an additional 15 minutes or until the internal temp of the chicken reads 155 degrees. It's best to use a digital meat thermometer to ensure your chicken is thoroughly cooked but not overcooked. If your chicken is done but your cheese isn't quite done yet, turn your oven up to broil and broil the chicken breast for 1-2 min or until the cheese is golden.
Garnish the chicken parmesan with minced parsley if desired. Enjoy!
Calories: 365kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 38g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 122mg | Sodium: 1054mg | Potassium: 772mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 636IU | Vitamin C: 7mg | Calcium: 294mg | Iron: 3mg