3 Cheese Twice Baked Potatoes
These 3 cheese twice baked potatoes with bacon are the ultimate twice baked potatoes. They're made with Havarti, Gruyere, and shredded cheddar cheese. These easy twice baked potatoes are creamy, delicious and loaded with flavor. These are the best twice baked potatoes.
Servings: 8 people
- 8 med Potatoes bakers, potatoes, free of blemishes if possible
- 3 oz Havarti Cheese
- 3 oz Gruyere Cheese
- 6 Tabelspoons Butter 4 Tablespoons for Potato mixture and 2 Tablespoons to brush inside the potato skins
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- 2 tsp Garlic Salt
- 4 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 1/2 cup Sour Cream low fat or full fat work great
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 3 oz + 1/2 cup Shredded Cheddar for the mashed potato mixture plus 1/2 cup to sprinkle on the potatoes before you bake them.
- 1/2 cup Bacon Bits pre-cooked and packaged work great. Fresh made works great too.
- 1/4 cup Green onions sliced thin
How to make the Best Baked Potatoes
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
* Find potatoes that don't have bruises. ( if you do end up with a couple of potatoes with bad spots just cut those spots off.
Wash the potatoes. Using your hands and rub the potato under water. Rub briskly until all the dirt is off. You can also use a scrub brush to get into the “eyes” of the potato.
* Use a fork and poke holes, about a 1/2 deep into the skins of the potato.
* Put the potatoes in a large ziplock bag. Pour 3-4 Tablespoons of cooking oil (I like to use Avocado Oil, olive oil, or any vegetable oil works great) onto the potatoes. Seal the bag and roll the potatoes around inside the bag until all the potatoes are covered in oil.
* Pour to potatoes onto a 9 by 13" baking dish. You can also use a cookie sheet with parchment or aluminum foil on it.
* Sprinkle Sea Salt on the potatoes, be sure to cover all sides of the potato.
* Bake in a 400-degree oven for 50-60 minutes. * You will know when the potatoes are done baking when you can stick a fork in the potato and it’s soft inside. You won’t be able to pick the potato up or feel any hard, uncooked inside. Take out of the oven.
* Let the potatoes cool for about 5 minutes until you don’t risk burning yourself. Slice the potato in half and let it cool until you can handle it without getting burned.
How To Make The Best Twice Baked Potatoes
Once you have sliced the potatoes in half and they're cool enough to handle. Scoop out the inside of the potato. You will want to leave a small layer of potato on the skins so the potato skins keep their shape. Put the insides of the potato in a medium sized mixing bowl.
Melt some butter, about 2 Tablespoons, and then brush the inside of the potato with melted butter. You want to make sure there is seasoning on eery later of the potato. Some twice baked potatoes are a little bland, this will ensure the skin is good enough to eat and there are no bland bites in your easy twice baked potatoes.
Sprinkle the potato skins with garlic salt. This is what helps these loaded twice baked potatoes have so much flavor. Set the skins aside.
In the mixing bowl with the flesh of the potatoes, mash the potatoes with a hand potato masher. If you're mixing/ mashing these potatoes with an electric mixer, be sure to mix slowly and don't beat the potatoes. If you over-mix or over mash the potatoes, they will develop a gluey texture. So be sure to mix only as needed. I like a little chunk and texture in my twice baked potatoes, If you're looking for really smooth baked potatoes, use a potato ricer for extra creamy twice baked, baked potatoes. Add the sour cream, cheeses, (shredded works best) garlic salt, onion powder, salt and pepper to the potato mixture. Taste test to make sure there's enough flavoring. Add a little more garlic powder for some extra tang or some more onion powder if it needs to be a little sweeter and more depth in flavor.
Spoon the potato mixture into the potato skins. I threw away 2 potato skins but kept the flesh of the potato. I like to have really thick twice baked potatoes. If that's something you like too, be sure to cook a couple of extra baked potatoes.
Sprinkle the twice baked potatoes with the remaining shredded cheddar cheese, top with bacon bits, and cover with foil.
Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for 30 minutes. Take the foil off and brown the cheese and crisp the bacon on top for an additional 10 minutes. Sprinkle the sliced green onions on the potatoes and serve!
Calories: 377kcal | Carbohydrates: 34g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 46mg | Sodium: 1028mg | Potassium: 1018mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 530IU | Vitamin C: 25.8mg | Calcium: 322mg | Iron: 7.2mg