This Air Fryer Red Potato Recipe is fluffy on the inside, crispy on the outside, and uses only a fraction of oil compared to fried potatoes. They are super simple to make, use just a few ingredients, and are the perfect side dish, ready in under 30 minutes.
Air Frying Red Potatoes
Love fried potatoes but don’t love all of that extra fat? We hear you! Fried foods aren’t just delicious because of the extra oil - they also achieve the perfect balance of crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside.
This is why the air fryer has become so popular; we love it so much. Now, you can have your french fries and eat them too! Whether you make air fryer roasted potatoes for breakfast, lunch or dinner, they are always the perfect, healthy, and simple side dish that goes with just about anything. Air Fried Red Potatoes are the way to go!
For other air fryer recipes, check out:
And if you're looking for another delicious potato recipe, be sure to try our Baked Potato Recipe, Ranch Potatoes, Parmesan Roasted Potatoes Grilled Russet Potatoes, and these Hassleback Potatoes. After making them in the air fryer, you'll be hooked and never want them any other way.
Ingredients in Air Fryer Red Potatoes
- Red Potatoes - leave the skins on, but be sure to wash them before cutting into quarters, or 1” pieces for larger potatoes. You could also substitute baby potatoes, Yukon gold, fingerling potatoes or even Russet potatoes.
- Avocado Oil - you can also use another cooking oil type, such as olive oil or vegetable oil.
- Spices - we like to use garlic powder, onion powder and Italian herbs for this recipe. You could substitute fresh minced garlic, garlic salt, or any other herbs and spices you’d like. Other tasty seasoning ideas include cajun seasoning and ranch dressing mix.
- Salt and Pepper
How to Make Red Potatoes in Air Fryer
- Season potatoes. In a ziplock bag or large bowl, toss potatoes with 3 tablespoons of avocado oil. Mix the potatoes until evenly coated, then add the garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Toss again until the potatoes are evenly coated.
- Transfer to the air fryer. Remove potatoes from the bag or bowl and place in a single layer in the air fryer tray.
- Cook. Cook in an air fryer preheated to 425 degrees for about 12 minutes, or until the edges of the potatoes begin to brown. Using a spatula, turn the potatoes and cook for another 5 minutes until the other side is golden brown.
- Serve. Once the potatoes are soft and crispy golden brown on the outside, remove them from the air fryer and season with additional salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Other Potatoes to Try in the Air Fryer
You could easily substitute baby red potatoes, mini Yukon gold, fingerling potatoes, or even Russet potatoes for this recipe.
The only main preparation difference would be how you cut, or don’t cut, your potatoes. For example, Russet potatoes should be cut into 1” wedges, whereas baby potatoes may not even need to be cut. The most important thing is to ensure they are all equal sizes so that they air fry evenly.
Crispy Red Potatoes
We've found a great hack to get the crispiest fried red potatoes. All you need to do is soak your potatoes. Wash and cut them like you normally would.
- Cut your potatoes into bite-sized pieces (about 1 ¼" pieces)
- Soak the cut up potatoes in cold water before cooking for about 10 minutes. (it makes the potatoes crispy and also helps them from sticking to each other **trust me on this**)
- Drain and then pat the potatoes dry with a paper towel.
- Season with a little oil and seasoings, salt and pepper too.
- Shaking the basket mid-way through roasting.
- Bake until golden brown and crispy.
Frequently Asked Questions
These Air Fryer Red Potatoes are best eaten immediately, but if you find yourself with lots of leftovers, you can certainly store them in an airtight container in the fridge and reheat them up to 3 days later.
The quickest way would be to reheat them for a few minutes in your air fryer. However, you could also reheat in a 350-degree oven for about 10 minutes or until warm. We don’t recommend microwaving your cooked potatoes because they will lose any crispiness.
Yes! Unlike regular fried potatoes, the air fryer allows you to use minimal oil so what you eat is mostly just potatoes. Red potatoes are low in fat and calories but full of Vitamin C, vitamin B6, and potassium. What’s not to love?
Absolutely. Instead of an air fryer, preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Season as directly, then transfer to a baking sheet in an even layer. Bake for about 20 minutes or until potatoes begin to brown. Using a spatula, turn the potatoes and cook for another 10-15 minutes so that the other side can brown. Voila!
The total time it takes to cook your Air Fryer Red Potatoes at 425 depends on how many you cook at once and what type of potato you use. Cook times for the red potatoes in this recipe range from 15-20 minutes.
- After you have washed and cut the potatoes, soak them in cool water for about 10 minutes. Use a towel to pat them dry before seasoning them.
- Preheat the air fryer for best results.
- Red Potatoes will turn a little darker brown before becoming crisp. Do be afraid of a little extra color on them.
- Use Ranch Seasoning to make Ranch Potatoes
- Seasoning Salt is a fun and classic flavor.
- Avocado Oil and a little salt and pepper.
- Add cheese in the last couple of minutes of baking.
- Top your potatoes with ranch dressing, shredded cheese, sliced green onions, and olives
- Top your potatoes with queso and nacho toppings for a fun switch-up of classic nachos.
Storing and Reheating
- Refrigerator: store any leftover Air Fryer Red Potatoes in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- How to Reheat: you can toss leftover potatoes into a preheated air fryer for a few minutes or reheat them in a preheated 350-degree oven for about 10 minutes until warm.
Air Fryer Red Potatoes Recipe
- 1 ½ lbs Red Potatoes washed and quartered
- 3 Tablespoons Avocado Oil
- ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ½ teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian Herbs dried
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 pinch Black Pepper to taste
- Preheat the air fryer to 425 degrees.
- Place potatoes in a large bowl or a ziplock bag and drizzle them with 3 tablespoons of avocado oil. Toss the potatoes until evenly coated, then add the garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Toss again until the potatoes are evenly coated.
- Remove potatoes from the bag or bowl and place in a single layer in the air fryer tray.
- Cook in the preheated air fryer for about 12 minutes, or until the edges of the potatoes begin to brown. Using a spatula, turn the potatoes and cook for another 5 minutes, or until the other side is golden brown.
- Once the potatoes are soft on the inside and crispy golden brown on the outside, remove from the air fryer and season with additional salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Here are some more simple potato side dishes that we love!
- Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Bacon and Cheese Scalloped Potatoes
- Sweet Potato Casserole
- Fingerling Potatoes
- Twice Baked Potatoes
- Twice Baked Potato Casserole
- Oven Roasted Red Potatoes
- Bacon Scalloped Potatoes
- Scalloped Potatoes
- Best Potato Recipes
- More Potato Recipes
- More Easy Side Dish Recipes
If you’ve tried this recipe, please rate it and leave a comment on this post. I love hearing feedback from you helps me and other readers too! If you love Pinterest, feel free to leave a comment and photo there too. Also, if you like to share, use the hashtag #thecarefreekitchen on Instagram and tag me @thecarefreekitchen so I can find you and give your post some love. You can also find me on Facebook at The Carefree Kitchen. Thank you!!
These Air Fryer Red Potatoes have the perfect balance of crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside. Ready in under 30 minutes, they make the perfect healthy and simple side dish to go with just about anything.